Tanking - Could We/Would We/Should We (Spoiler: Not really. No. Probably not.)

There’s a lot of hysteria going on about our playing list, in the threads and by the people you’d expect. I personally find the discussion here in the trading forum a little bit more measured, even if some of the ideas are bonkers. At the very least, there are less asterisks per post.

There’s an argument to be had about what’s tanking and what’s aggressive rebuilding. To me tanking just the decision to rebuild and doing it really aggresively. Obviously the AFL defines it in a very different way to make sure that they can keep a straight face when they say that nobody ever does it. Anyway, tanking is at its heart a discussion about trading and drafting, and I think it’s worth discussing.

Could We Tank?
My opinion is that the steep dive, fast climb tanking that people dream of pulling off is all but dead. Any defense of tanking that uses examples from before 2010 can be completely ignored. Priority picks are gone, one bad year for two top 5 picks is no longer an option. Free agency is here, so trading out old players for high picks is gone (the uncontracted are free agents, the contracted have had their value cut by the fact they will be free agents). Making the decision to tank also puts all your contracted young players who you want to keep at risk. If they don’t like the idea of a few years at the bottom of the ladder and a good team likes the look of them, they’ll leave, that’s modern football. Sure, you might get picks for them, but a decent pick is never as good as a good young player.

It’s better than it was during the expansion teams introduction in 2010-2012, but the heady days of 2000-2005 are long gone.

Would We Tank?
Very few teams make the call to do a drastic list overhaul when they’re not bad. 8th, 11th, 7th*, 7th over the last four years isn’t bad. It’s worryingly static, and it’s not good, but it’s not bad. There’s two places the call can come from: the football department and the executive. I don’t think our football department would. That’s entirely a guess, they just don’t seem like the type to make that decision. I have no idea about the executive. Making that call (especially if it was done over the top of the football department) would be risky, and it’s been a long time since Essendon did risky things at a club level. It might mean nothing more than a couple of changes of mid tier personnel and some change in direction/messaging, but it could end up as a bloodbath that sees most of the board, executive, and football department cleared out over a couple of months of horrendous mismanagement. It’s easy to make big moves when they’re the only moves left (eg Carlton), it’s a lot harder when things aren’t too bad.

I don’t think we will. There have been three times in the last decade or so which present themselves as more obvious candidates (2004ish, 2008, 2011) which the club didn’t take, so I don’t really see this being the year the strategy changes.

Should We Tank?
Personally I think we shouldn’t, but we should veer towards rebuilding. I would stop making decisions based on what’s best for the 2016 team and worry more about the 2020 team, but I don’t think we’ll end up in a better position five years from now by burning the place down. Most of the players we have who’d get us first round picks are our most promising young players, ie the ones you base the rebuild on in the first place. Our free agents of note (Bellchambers, Dempsey, Stanton) will take care of themselves regardless of what we do; if someone wants to offer them more than we want to pay them, there’s not much can be done about it. The old guys who’d typically get the move along in a big rebuild are almost certainly retiring/getting delisted anyway.

Final point, the saga. If we suffer penalties and play 2016 with a heavily compromised list you can absolutely guarantee that we’ll also get hit with draft penalties. There’s no way known a team that’s crap because a bunch of key players are out on drug suspensions is going to be allowed to have pick 1 in the draft. If we’ve decided to tank and then get no picks that’s going to screw us for Carlton/Melbourne lengths of time.

Sure, but I still don’t see a massively different selection policy, whether we go flat knacker or not. Right now, if they yanked the plug on the season it’d be Chap & Cooney out for 2 kids. The way it’s looking that’ll happen in about 2-3 weeks regardless.

They’re not going to hold back guys in their mid 20s who’ve missed the bulk of the year - Myers, Hocking, Zaha, Kommer. Even getting them back for a couple stands them in much better stead for 2016.
They’re not going to hold back the spine of the side - Jobe, Goddard, Stanton.
Old blokes out of contract (Chappy, Winders, Fletch, Gwilt) are getting enough rope.

So far we’ve seen Langford, Jerrett, Ashby, Kav, Edwards, Raz, Hams - in addition to Joe/Glees/Zerrett playing almost every game. And they’ve talked up Laverde, he can’t be far off. It happened a few weeks later than it probably should have, but kids are getting a crack.

Becoming a more relevant question by the day.
Less relevant, surely. Way it's looking if we go flat-knacker from here on in will only make 1-2 wins difference than going full tank.
If the difference is whether or not they try and make finals, playing the mature players, versus saying the priority is youth and development, there will be big consequences for the future regardless of whether or not it only represents 1-2 wins.

But to be honest, I was thinking more about the trade/draft period and 2016 than what we do with 2015. So that is what I meant when I said its becoming more relevant.

Becoming a more relevant question by the day.
Less relevant, surely. Way it's looking if we go flat-knacker from here on in will only make 1-2 wins difference than going full tank.

We are technically tanking any game Ambrose plays ruck for more than 5 stoppages.

Its not tanking per se, but play all the kids as much as possible.

AFL Tribunal have ruled that there was insufficient evidence.
If wada CAS tribunal come to a different conclusion - only players will be impacted.

If 2016 season is ruined due to player penalties i think we should keep draft picks.

playing a season with a team of replacements we would lose supporters, memberships, sponsorships etc…afl would have to let us keep the draft pick. plus we would lose some of the contracted players anyway to stay under salary cap.

Worked well for fark carlton

We do need to get a bunch of kids in. But to me that should happen just about naturally, a fair few are about at the end of the line.

If someone’s offering him big money, I’d tell Bellcho to take it.
I’d see what someone would give for Demps and Howlett types (mid 20s fringe players), even if it’s not a heap.

And we’ll have a top 10 (probably earlier) pick to start with. So that should give us a couple in the top 10, and a couple of extras in the second and third rounds. Upgrade SMack, upgrade Stein, have a good hard look at re-tread talls (for the post Fletch era) - Mitch Brown springs to mind, but there’s been plenty of success stories in the past, Tom Harley for one, Stephen Gilham another. As long as they’re cheap, and won’t interfere with FA compensation. You don’t necessarily need a superstar 3rd tall behind Hurley/Hooker.

Get a cheap ruck, whoever’s delisted or going for not much.

Cut Chap, Gwilt, Winders, Pears, Kommer, and - depending on how many get traded - the worst & least likely couple of kids.
Fletch makes his own call.
I’m comfortable that they’ve all had a good chance.

Aim for 5-6 kids and 1-2 young re-treads, all up.

But don’t fiddle with results.
I won’t say never, but definitely not this early, and FFS, we’re at 4-6 and only a couple of wins out of the 8.

Good read. But sad that you’re so right we’ve had better opportunities to have a clean out than this and never done it.

I think tanking is where you do something that won't help you win.

Like say, playing a utility player in the ruck.

We tank as soon as it’s mathematically impossible for Carlton to finish above us.

We don’t need to tank.

Never, ever tank.

We don't need to tank.

Also a true statement. We’ll lose plenty on our own merit…

Damn; and I thought we were being subtle about it.

or belly anywhere

or belly anywhere

Touche