Tassie trip July - advice on places to stay

Burnie is Ok. I grew up just West of there, before moving to Colac.

1 Like

Dunno if anyone else ha mentioned it, but this place is really great.

https://www.diermakr.com/

1 Like

Pump house Point another worth considering

1 Like

Just camp at Fairybread’s joint

1 Like

How can you say that, Boot?!
Our ex President nearly owns the place…I hear they’re looking at renaming Burnie as “Toll”:rofl:
Anyway, just go to Wynyard…more character😉

1 Like

What drew you to the big city lights of Colac?

Dead mining town.
And not just “they stopped mining” dead. The actual landscape is dead.

I wouldn’t think the locals have a heck of a lot to be happy about.

My old mans welding job dried up in Tassie and so he and my Mum got a place in Birregurra. Although I’ve lived near some more or less ■■■■ holes (Burnie in the 80’s and Colac in the 90’s), I lived in pretty nice towns being Wynyard and Birregurra.

Take a peep at Bruny Island. Probably got everything you’re looking for for a winters break.
Be warned though, its not cheap in Tas anymore. We sit around the fire playing our banjoes and drinking moonshine because tourism has priced us out of it. :smile:

4 Likes

If you’re looking for some nice Italian food, make an effort to visit Da Angelo Ristorante in Battery Point Hobart. You won’t be disappointed.

2 Likes

The potatoes and friendly locals I’m sure.

I once got puched in the face by a local bmx riding heri after playing bouble dragon at the local 10 pin.

Lot of mullets way past their used by date. My local town of Camperdown was so much more refined :rofl:

We’ve travelled to Tassie twice in winter, and absolutely loved it! Check out all the distilleries and wineries, they’re doing some great stuff.

Cradle mountain was all snowed in when we went, so could only get as far as the information center. But we stayed in a beautiful cottage in Wilmot, and was snowing there.

Take plenty of warm clothes! But Tasmania is probably my favourite place in Australia, and I’ve travelled all around and through the centre.

1 Like

Or Maldinis in Salamanca

3 Likes

Agree with most advised already

Eaglehawk neck is a beautiful area, also as mentioned lots of distillery’s and vineyards in Tasmania

the North, North East is quite underrated and especially good for a vineyard tour you won’t be able to see them all in one session.

https://www.discovertasmania.com.au/what-to-do/self-drive/tamarvalley

The North West is worth a day or two, lots of coastal towns and iconic places

Being the middle of winter you will be able to visit the snow, go to a rain forest and then the beach all in one day!

2 Likes

If you go to Bruny, make sure to stop at the House of Whiskey. Great place, and what they don’t know about whiskey doesn’t exist.

The only drawback here is that the owners are fanatical fark carlton fans, and there is plenty of memorabilia around. But the food is so good you can almost forgive them their perversion.