Taylor Hunt

A YEAR ago Taylor Hunt knocked back Brisbane‘s three-season deal and instead pledged loyalty to Geelong.

Today the player who grew up as a Richmond fanatic will meet with the Tigers to plead for an AFL lifeline.

The 63-game Cats tagger took down the likes of Patrick Dangerfield and Marc Murphy in his time at Geelong but injuries bit hard in the past 18 months.

As a result he was delisted by the Cats, meaning Hunt‘s meetings with Richmond and Brisbane this week will decide his AFL career.

Both clubs are also interested in dumped Carlton midfielder Mitch Robinson.

AXED: HUNT PAYS TOUGH PRICE FOR LOYALTY

And if Robinson is the inconsistent constantly-suspended firecracker, Hunt says his ability to tag and also play as a small defender gives him hope he can keep his career alive.

“I am really keen on finding myself a spot on a list at pretty much any club,‘‘ he told the Herald Sun from Bali on Tuesday before jetting back to Melbourne.

“I feel like I have got a lot to prove to myself. Going into the trade period was tough not knowing about my future and hearing the news I was no longer required at Geelong, but hopefully I interview well and hopefully find myself on a list out of those two clubs.”

Hunt‘s breakout 2012 season saw him play 21 quality games as a tagger and after 15 matches in 2013 interrupted only by a shoulder injury he believed he was emerging as a Cats regular.

It was then Brisbane came calling, but he says he has no regrets with passing up their offer.

“That (offer) all came as a bit of a shock. I had just played my best 10-game stint at the start of that year and felt pretty settled at Geelong,‘‘ Hunt said.

“I felt like I was good enough to be in the best 22 at Geelong and felt like I was an established player.

“In hindsight things change really quickly in 12 months. I guess some people would be kicking themselves but the dream is still alive for myself.

“If I can find some of that form again the rest of my career will look after itself.”

Hunt revealed on Wednesday morning he had also been offered the chance to do a pre-season with St Kilda should Richmond or Brisbane overlook him.

The former Cat turns 24 this week and while he battled with a groin injury that came from running himself into the ground this year, he is back to full fitness.

If he did land at Richmond, only his family would be more thrilled than the player himself.

“My family is massively Richmond, I used to go to every single game from when I was four years old,‘‘ he said.

“I would be really pumped to end up there, but I guess I am not in a position where I can choose.

“My partner sent through a photo of my at five years old with a no. 6 painted on my face and it was Chris Naish. I was a diehard and my mum and nanna are diehards too.”

Originally published as Ex-Cat speedster a Taylor made Tiger

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/taylor-hunt-looking-to-restart-his-afl-career-at-richmond-after-being-delisted-by-geelong/story-fndv8haf-1227105150291

Should we look at him?

Ex-Geelong.

Gotta be good.

Apparently.

We don't have a spot

How would he improve us?

No

At a club that's made Jarred Rivers and Brent Prismall look good: so, so meh.

We don't have a spot

In addition to that while he looked promising early in his career and bolted out of the gate he looks to have slowed down and found his level, and it's not that good. I'm sure he will use injuries as reasoning for getting cut and that may be partly true but I'd also hazard a guess that Geelong simply don't think he has that much upside.

Hunty.

Does point out why players look out for themselves a bit more now though. Was useful to them a year ago and they asked him to be loyal, only to be delisted a year later.

Can't blame him for being rightly ■■■■■■ off.

Would rather have Leroy back.

Does point out why players look out for themselves a bit more now though. Was useful to them a year ago and they asked him to be loyal, only to be delisted a year later.

You're inferring things there (as is pazza), the article only says he rejected the offer, the only place loyalty is mentioned is with the sub-editor ad-ins that largely are designed to be click bait or to evoke an emotional response. There is no mention anywhere that they specifically went to him and asked him to stay, they didn't offer him an extension on his contract.

Brisbane was a basket case at the end of last season with 5 guys wanting to leave, their coach sacked and a new unproven coach coming with no experience, he was at a successful club where he was best 22 last year, if the money wasn't that different, it could be a simple case of wanting to play finals at a successful club vs. going to a club that possibly looked worse than Melbourne as a footballing destination.

You're inferring things there (as is pazza), the article only says he rejected the offer, the only place loyalty is mentioned is with the sub-editor ad-ins that largely are designed to be click bait or to evoke an emotional response. There is no mention anywhere that they specifically went to him and asked him to stay, they didn't offer him an extension on his contract.
Brisbane was a basket case at the end of last season with 5 guys wanting to leave, their coach sacked and a new unproven coach coming with no experience, he was at a successful club where he was best 22 last year, if the money wasn't that different, it could be a simple case of wanting to play finals at a successful club vs. going to a club that possibly looked worse than Melbourne as a footballing destination.

Perhaps but there are many other examples of a club showing no loyalty to a player after they feel they have no further use for him.
Chapman being one.

Hunty.

You've been on a nickname rampage in nearly every thread this morning. I'm curious what tag do you give yourself?

Rocky why is something/somone always chucking in your avatar?

Leroy is a foot taller than Hunt.

Remember when Sam Hunt was going to be our next fullback?

Rocky why is something/somone always chucking in your avatar?

Cos they're/it's sick.

Rockyy…

Remember when Sam Hunt was going to be our next fullback?

You've changed your name, Bargey?