Team 20 - Who's Next

I have a friend that was involved in a feasibility study for a NT AFL side and the key outcomes of the study was that a NT side would lose $15m per year as a minimum. They study actually recommended that a Northern Australian team with games split between Cairns, Darwin and Alice would be a far better outcome. The AFL however want that region to prop up the Suns

2 Likes

Abolish the Suns, move GWS to Canberra, kick Norf to Bendigo/Ballarat

QED

Gotta be Ganmain Grong Grong Matong surely…

1 Like

Well if AFL are happy to prop up GC GWS STK and NTH they should just gives us Fitzroy back and de merge the lions

4 Likes

Sydney Giants got more people than demons north.

Move the kangas to Canberra

1 Like

The only team that would spark even a bit of interest for me would be a team based in the NT full of indigenous players. I think it would be great for the game and for Australia as a whole tbh.

But financially I can’t see it being successful

Overall I would rather Essendon win premiership number 17, then the league combusts and dies.

5 Likes

Time to reform the 4 Wheelers aka the allies

Devon Welshpool Won Wron Woodside (DWWWW)

1 Like

It should be Hobart and Launceston…19th and 20th teams.

As they pointed out on footy classified north are gunna lose about five million a year with tassie coming in with the games deal going and the spirit of Tasmania sponsorship both going.
The easiest options is to fold them

1 Like

The Reynella Wineflys

1 Like

We should be cutting back to 16 teams not expanding to 20. Get rid of Norf and a couple other dud vic clubs.

1 Like

I have said for a long time Albury. Probably 200-250k population in the area by the time you add in Wagga, Wangaratta, Yarrawonga, maybe even Shepparton. Not far off Geelong in population and plenty of money in the area. Already has a strong comp that would become even better as a feeder comp, only a couple of hours up the road from Melbourne and popular as a stop over point.

3 Likes

We could fly in for games. What could go wrong?

6 Likes

Essendon II

Such as clubs who haven’t won a final for decades?

they’ll employ casuals and not pay them all their hours

6 Likes

If we weren’t making money, yes. But we are.

1. Canberra (growing population with disposable income, include the riverina and southern nsw, you are up towards 1 million people and footy is popular in those regions. It’s also easy to travel to for Vic club fans and slowly incurs into nsw even more. Already get decent crowds with a fly in, fly out team, their own team would be quite popular and brings in some potential new fans too).

2. W.A 3 (Perth is the second biggest footy city in the world and only has 2 teams. I would have them located out of joondalup, playing 3 games there and the rest at Optus. 2 of their home games are guaranteed sellouts already playing against Freo and wc at home).

Daylight…

Daylight…

1. North Queensland

Daylight…

Daylight…

1. N.T (Darwin has a population of 130k, do you realise how small that is? Alice springs is 15 hours drive away and a lot of people that live in Darwin are poor so couldn’t afford games/ memberships. Plus what interstate fans are gonna fly to the top of Australia to watch their team play in 35 degree heat.
    Their under 18 team just got smashed yet again by the gold coast academy, so the talent up there is rather limited anyway. Would be the dumbest decision the AFL ever made).
2 Likes

For me, the only logical choice is a 3rd WA team or a 3rd SA team. It wasn’t that long ago that Port Adelaide had the tarps out, so I would be going with WA3.

I would say Canberra if GWS didn’t exist (wishful thinking), but they do, so I won’t.

1 Like

I agree SA won’t ever have 3 sides and not defending Port but the whole tarps era was down to them being very poor on field and the members voting with their feet at their dislike of Football Park. For some reason their members and fans absolutely hated it there and they were the key drivers on the move to AO

2 Likes