Tesla just changed everything

@benfti LIFT YOUR GAME SON

ten years on from “who killed the electric car” and we still have to listen to the same fears/lies and untruths.

Telsa is proposing (and will deliver) a product that allows you drive from Melbourne to Cairns for free… and with zero emissions and it still hasn’t gathered popular momentum?

How awesome is that solar roof.

And yeah, can’t wait for Model 3

No one wants to drive to cairns from Melbourne.

How long would you have to wait for a recharge at a station if there is a queue of other Tesla’s before you?

You gotta pay for the use of the supercharge stations soon, so Melbourne to anywhere ain’t gonna be free.

I get the intentions is that they are not supposed to be primary source of charging, but it starts to chip away at the ‘free’ part of the tesla car story.

How many times does a typical person drive from Melbourne to Cairns?
The majority of people drive their car to and from work. 100 to 150 km per day. Charging overnight should be enough for 90% of your travel needs.

free recharging stations at my local supermarket.

I think the Tesla owned and run charge stations have their costs covered by Tesla, so free charging. Can charge a Tesla in as little as 30 minutes too , apparently.

It’s the other ones not run by Tesla that charge you I think.

I think the Tesla owned and run charge stations have their costs covered by Tesla, so free charging. Can charge a Tesla in as little as 30 minutes too , apparently.

It’s the other ones not run by Tesla that charge you I think.

I just watched this - there’s mention towards teh end of the vid of some possible charge station restrictions on the way so looks like the above may be no more.

And $200k?! Wow. Also mentions there are over $50k of options available too.

Dear Electric Car Manufacturers,

I was thinking that since one of your greatest obstacles in marketing your vehicles is range fear, and that despite this, the large majority of the public use their cars to get to and from work - maybe averaging under 100km per day, you could speed up the process of market infiltration by giving rental car vouchers p.a for a set number of years with the purchase of one of your cars. That way, if someone wanted to go on a nice long drive a few times a year, they’re covered. What’s it going to cost you - a few hunid per sale? Your customer takes their EC to a rental depot, picks up the rental car, uses a % of the voucher, and swaps back on return.

You’re very welcome.

Iirc Teslas bought before a certain date get ‘free’ recharging the ones after that date get 400miles free or something in USA.

Well, if you can afford the price of the tesla, then the cost of charging gonna be of little concern.

Once they’re self driving, people gonna be drivin to cairns every other week.

Hondas, Nissans, Mazdas and Subarus all already drive themselves here in Japan. Government just finalising legal requirements and insurance requirements. Hydrogen is also going to be big here. All buses for 2020 Olympics will be hydrogen powered hybrids. Also they are utilising so much of the patches of grass next to railroads and putting solar panels in. Passing the other day there were kms of panels.

Hondas, Nissans, Mazdas and Subarus all already drive themselves here in Japan. Government just finalising legal requirements and insurance requirements. Hydrogen is also going to be big here. All buses for 2020 Olympics will be hydrogen powered hybrids. Also they are utilising so much of the patches of grass next to railroads and putting solar panels in. Passing the other day there were kms of panels.

And our sunburnt country just can’t seem to get its act together.

And our sunburnt country just can’t seem to get its act together.

We have to use the coal! And, the oils I tells ya!

apparently 6 month + wait on repairs and parts for teslas.

Model S has always and will always have free charging at Supercharger stations. It’s inbuilt into the price of the car.

What they HAVE said is that they are decoupling the “free charging” from “all Teslas.” Model 3 does not come with free local charging. This means it’s likely you’ll be able to charge for free for road trips. But in the states where there are some people who use their local like a fuel station (which was never the point of Superchargers anyway). They haven’t announced the specifics of how it’ll work.

Hydrogen will lose the post-petrol war in the same way steam (and ironically electric) lost the war the first time around ~ 100 years ago

Hydrogen will lose the post-petrol war in the same way steam (and ironically electric) lost the war the first time around ~ 100 years ago

The biggest issue with hydrogen is it has a low energy density. It doesn’t liquify under pressure, so to store a lot of it you need to hold it at a massive pressure. Higher the pressure the more steel you need in the tank, which means more weight, wiping out the gain from holding the extra fuel.

There’s a few clever research concepts that could help. Bond hydrogen temporarily into a solid or absorb it into a nanoscale lattice. Either could do the job of the science works.

Then you get into production. Hydrogen currently is a byproduct of oil refining. Not the green fuel you’d be hoping for. To turn water into hydrogen at an industrial scale will require a lot of electricity. There are solar cells that create hydrogen from water rather than producing electricity, but they are a ways off being scaled up.

Hydrogen could theoretically replace petrol, but it’s got a lot of catching up to do.