Tesla just changed everything

I was going to put this in the pool room, but this is seriously news, great news

Essentially it’s a battery for your house, business, city.

Hook it up to solar panels and go off grid. $3000

FARK YES

1 Like

Yep seems like the real deal, but don’t hang your hat on it costing $3000 here.

I am told that hooking up a 7 kWh system to our existing solar panels, and making all the mods that are needed will cost about A$15,000, and a 10 kWH unit for my office about $25,000.

Though it could cheaper when China starts making them.

The question for the future will be can we afford to do it, or not to do it !

Exciting times.

By my calculation, it’d cost $500B to purchase these for every home in the US. Let’s say $1T would get you the solar panels thrown in.

$1T would get you 20M Teslas on the road.

In contrast

Dropping bombs on people to secure fossil fuel reserves in the Middle East over the last decade is estimated to cost the US and UK about $4-6T.

This looks like the revolution we have needed to make solar the solution, but what are the details? Is this a stack of Lithiom ion batteries? What is new?

Super happy that Bomba got a new job.

Very exciting prospect.

Cue all the energy apologists here in the US. Already saw an “analysis” saying that the “total cost” of these batteries will be far higher than what is normally paid by consumers on the grid.

Well duh. If we all paid the TRUE cost of everything we’d never consume things like Coffee or turnover our cars very 3 years for tax benefits.

Yep seems like the real deal, but don't hang your hat on it costing $3000 here.

I am told that hooking up a 7 kWh system to our existing solar panels, and making all the mods that are needed will cost about A$15,000, and a 10 kWH unit for my office about $25,000.

Everything’s already MIC. Profit margins I think are fairly high for solar systems as there’s a fair amount of tailoring to individual installs. One big company producing a single widget is going to help that a fair bit but the battery is only one pet of the picture.

His $3k figure is fine as far as it goes but it’s only a bit of a system.

His system doesn’t include an inverter (which converts DC volts - the type in a battery - to AC, which is what your house runs on). Which is probably another grand or two.

And there’s other costs as well - panels being the big one. Solar panels need to be clean to maintain efficiency - and they drop off as they age, regardless. (As do batteries). Let alone weather. A solar system in one part of the world is going to have a far different output in another place - let alone seasonal variations. None of which people really like.

As far as I can see this is just a battery, with some software smarts. It might well be a better battery than most but that’s not really been the sticking point so far.

Add panels, inverter, install - I think we’d be looking at closer to $10k here. Plus legal/contract issues, the red tape here is pretty restrictive and the coal lobby still have a lot of political sway, we can’t even convince them to plan for the coal running out, good luck getting them to give up their market!

And I still can’t really see how a localised system would in any way be cheaper or more efficient than a centralised, solar-and-battery commercial station type arrangement. We don’t all have a little coal station in our backyards…

1 Like

That’s the best thing about it being Tesla built, and why them having a couple of dinky little dealers in Sydney and Melbourne.

Go to their website and download the press pack. They seem to think a 5kwh system is manageable, they are going for $2500. This pack is expected to cost around 3500 here. But the best bit my friend. They have already opened the patent up. Anyone can build them, he said in an interview on mashable, “I don’t need money, I’ve got billions, I want to save the world, and to do that more than just us have to make them”

Cue all the energy apologists here in the US. Already saw an "analysis" saying that the "total cost" of these batteries will be far higher than what is normally paid by consumers on the grid.

The energy companies are going to come out and try like mad to debunk these things, because as of 12 hours ago, they just became VHS

That’s the best thing about it being Tesla built, and why them having a couple of dinky little dealers in Sydney and Melbourne.

Go to their website and download the press pack. They seem to think a 5kwh system is manageable, they are going for $2500. This pack is expected to cost around 3500 here. But the best bit my friend. They have already opened the patent up. Anyone can build them, he said in an interview on mashable, “I don’t need money, I’ve got billions, I want to save the world, and to do that more than just us have to make them”

That is farking sensational news. Surely the cost of batteries is going to plummet is the next few years, esecially when they open their ‘gigafactory’.

Are you honestly saying Ben that this battery pack (it’s a big UPS) has just made all the world’s electricity generation obsolete?

I see the Apple comparisons with this guy now…

As someone with a huge solar array and fairly moderate power usage, if there’s no hidden landmines on this one reveals by the US rollout, I might go all early adopter once it gets here. I’d have to do the sums with my current solar deal though, I’m still getting the old rebate of 25c or whatever, so if adding storage is going to require a new contract and mess that up then I’d have to think twice.

I mean, by all means, but one of these and cut your power lines since you no longer need power. Let us know how you get on?

Are you honestly saying Ben that this battery pack (it's a big UPS) has just made all the world's electricity generation obsolete?

A lot has to play out, but spending a long time reading the press kit last night 2 things you need to know.

1. They are claiming a 150 year life on the batteries.
  2. The wall unit comes with the inverter

150 year life? :o if they had a battery that good, no one in the world would sell another battery.

What warranty will they actually offer?

150 year life? :o if they had a battery that good, no one in the world would sell another battery.

What warranty will they actually offer?

You should read up a little about Elon Musk, i reckon. He’s a whacky, crazy, half-genius half-crusader billionaire.

Are you honestly saying Ben that this battery pack (it's a big UPS) has just made all the world's electricity generation obsolete?

just to clarify, it doesn’t come with an investor, it has a system that allows you to get away with a very simple one.

The most relevant point hap is that this sort of thing exists already, Sony and Panasonic make them, but they are 4 times the price, and don’t last nearly as long as Tesla claim theirs does, plus. They are not stackable like Tesla’s are

Cue legislation banning urban properties from disconnecting from the grid?

Won’t SOMEBODY think of the struggling coal burners?