Thanking Bomber Thompson

The man is having a tanty. I don’t think people need to pander to this poor behaviour, becasue that’s what it is. He might be upset, he might feel slighted, but hard darts. ■■■■ happens.
If anyone has a right to have a tanty because the the club treated them badly it’s Hird, and he has a been a model of excellence in manners and behaviours since day one.

If we need a poster for Bomber it probably should say “Grow up Bomber.” It’s a bit pathetic.

bomba or bomber? you decide.

heard he barracked for Carlton as a kid…

Don’t know the details from behind the scenes, but loved what he did filling in as coach. If I ran into him I’d thank him for being a true Bombers legend.

Bomber was great for us. Was great from the moment he arrived.

When he is ready to come back we will welcome him.

Open arms policy :slight_smile:

heard he barracked for Carlton as a kid...

Wash your mouth out! :frowning:

This is getting out of control. The guy left his position at Geelong (sure, he was jack of it) to come to us and support Hird. After that he took on the main role while the AFL banned our head coach. I don’t know what happened and neither do pretty much any of us. The only thing I can guess is that he feels a bit like he doesn’t want much to do with the club at the moment. Let’s just recognise that. It’s none of our business. All I think is that I just really appreciate what he has done over the last few years, particularly last year. He put himself on the line for the players. Whatever is going on he’s not interested in footy or us right now. You might understand a bit if he feels like he’s put himself on the line and the situation has put him through the ringer a bit.

Bomba is unusual. Always has been a bit quirky. I think he has some grounds to be unhappy, but i also dont think he’s done himself any favours with the recent Reunion carry-on. I feel disappointed for him that he’s alienated himself from fellow premiership legends by not only not attending but then suggesting frankly ludicrous and inconsistent excuses as to why. I think it would have been a healing process. An opportunity declined.

He has my sincere and never-ending thanks for getting us through last year, making the season bearable and getting a list under extreme, unprecedented pressure to the finals. I think he’s a great coach when switched on, and if some players dont appreciate some bluntness then thats their issue. I will tell him as much, and thank him, if i ever see him.

But my focus is on this year, the development of players and onfield results. Its about the players, always has been. Its Hird and Harves -equally great essendon people as Bomber - time to go to work. The club, Hird and Bomber can sort their own stuff out. They need to. And they will. Eventually.

Bomba is unusual. Always has been a bit quirky. I think he has some grounds to be unhappy, but i also dont think he's done himself any favours with the recent Reunion carry-on. I feel disappointed for him that he's alienated himself from fellow premiership legends by not only not attending but then suggesting frankly ludicrous and inconsistent excuses as to why. I think it would have been a healing process. An opportunity declined.

He has my sincere and never-ending thanks for getting us through last year, making the season bearable and getting a list under extreme, unprecedented pressure to the finals. I think he’s a great coach when switched on, and if some players dont appreciate some bluntness then thats their issue. I will tell him as much, and thank him, if i ever see him.

But my focus is on this year, the development of players and onfield results. Its about the players, always has been. Its Hird and Harves -equally great essendon people as Bomber - time to go to work. The club, Hird and Bomber can sort their own stuff out. They need to. And they will. Eventually.

Yes.

I also sincerely thank Bomber for steering the ship through the madness.

We need stability now and the season/s ahead. Having seen a few snippet’s of the interview with Sheahan, Bomber talking now, don’t have a problem with him talking, I have a problem with the timing. His hurt is still raw. It’s like in relationship when you/they tell friends of what’s happened, they think badly of the partner and it stay’s there regardless that you have moved on and are rebuilding the relationship together.

Bomber all last season kept thanking the fans, as a fan it does not sit right with me (obviously others feel different) that he needs to do a tell all, coz for me, bottom line is that it hurts the fans, you know the ones he kept thanking and the last thing we need is more hurt.

It's not completely his fault the club said "we're thinking of knifing Hird and you'll probably end up with the job" and he took them on face value. The board have at least half the blame in that. It would take a pretty big person to completely knock them back and tell them they couldn't possibly do it.

Not so sure about that.
And if you’re right…does that make Bomba ‘not a very big person’?

It makes him human.

If people on here are going to have a ■■■■■ about Bomber, wile you are at it, what about our Board, minus several. Equally as bent as the AFL/ASADA. Covers ups and set ups. At least Bomber mostly, says it as it is. He’s got a right to be angry, the club stood back at let Hird and him wear it for them.

There are no winners and it will be a long time until we as a club live down what has occurred, if we ever do.

Love Bomber. Could not be more grateful. His efforts will not be forgotten.

As for any behind the scenes stuff, they need to quit airing laundry with the greatest fabricators of bugle-oil, the media.

#mmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

He stepped into the breech under unprecedented conditions despite not wanting to coach again.

Under those difficult conditions he did a great job. I thank him for it.

Unfortunately the complicated scenario had Hird neither coming or going for a short while there and maybe his candle started to burn for the task a little brighter.

It was not to be for Bomber. He was pillaged thru the media for “his role” in the saga, he was fined $30K which he publicly scorned, he fronted the media every single day and became the only interesting coach to listen for the whole 2014 season.

It must’ve been a horrible year but one that should be celebrated for his efforts.

For a bloke that’s “quirky” he kept his head and represented the club very well.

“I will be cheering for the Cat when they play the Bombers in Rd 10” Mark Thompson - Open Mike

Thanks mate, you’ve done some great things for us but now you’re sounding like KB.

hes a weird unit

"I will be cheering for the Cat when they play the Bombers in Rd 10" Mark Thompson - Open Mike

Thanks mate, you’ve done some great things for us but now you’re sounding like KB.

Okaaaay, thanks but no thanks Bomber. You knew the gig was only until James’ (see Alan Noonan, I can use apostrophes) suspension had finished. You did really well, but it’s sounding a bit like sour grapes now, not a good look

Maybe shut the thread down rather than having folk weigh in on a guy who is hurt.

meh who cares as long a we win.

Pretty ■■■■■■ insulting, especially to the fans.

Be bitter all you want but don’t be spiteful.

I am more than happy to admit I wasn’t impressed with Bomber last year and thought he approached coaching our boys “half-assed” for lack of a better word.

I wasn’t disappointed to see him leave (especially after the best and fairest debacle) and this only reaffirms that feeling.