B: Baguley, Hurley, Hartley
HB: Hibberd, Hooker, Dempsey
C: Stanton, Myers, Heppell
HF: Zaharakis, McKernan, Z. Merrett
F: Colyer, Daniher, Goddard
R: Leuenberger, Watson, Bird
Int: Laverde, Hocking, Howlett, Parish

VFL:

Bellchambers, Francis, Brown, Morgan, Eades, Redman, Langford, Fantasia, Pears, Ashby, Long, Steinberg, Cooney, Gwilt, Kommer, Ambrose, Gleeson, Edwards, Coghlan, Tippa and any other rookie.

Not sure if this will be the round 1 team but my idea of the best 22

B: Baguley, Hurley, Francis
HB: Hibberd, Hooker, Gleeson
C: Colyer, Myers, Heppell
HF: Stanton, Brown, Z. Merrett
F: Zaka, Daniher, Goddard
R: Leuenberger, Watson, Bird
Int: Laverde, Hocking, Langford, Parish

Emg: Bellchambers, Cooney, Smack, Dempsey

I’ll bite.

B: Baguely Hooker Gwilt
HB: Gleeson Hurley Hibbered
C: Stanton Watson Goddard
HF: Dempsey Smack Langford
FF: Colyer Daniher Bird

Foll: Luenberger Heppell Hocking

Bench: Myers Zaka Zerrett Bellchambers

Hibberererererered

Backs - Fantasia, Gwilt, Hurley, Brown, Baguely, Hibberd.
Mids - Luenberger, Stanton, Watson, Hocking, Zerret, Heppell.
Forwards - Hooker, Daniher, Parish, Colyer, Laverde, Zaka.
Interchange - Myers, Edwards, Goddard, McKernan.

Gee, there’s still a bit of depth on the list creating competition for spots … Francis, Dempsey, Gleeson, Bellchambers, Bird, Cooney, Ashby, Pears, Jerrett, Ambrose, Langford, Kommer, Howlett, McKenna, Hartley.

Not making the top 8 with the available talent should be viewed as failure.
Top 4 is a reality.

Backs - Fantasia, Gwilt, Hurley, Brown, Baguely, Hibberd. Mids - Luenberger, Stanton, Watson, Hocking, Zerret, Heppell. Forwards - Hooker, Daniher, Parish, Colyer, Laverde, Zaka. Interchange - Myers, Edwards, Goddard, McKernan.

Gee, there’s still a bit of depth on the list creating competition for spots … Francis, Dempsey, Gleeson, Bellchambers, Bird, Cooney, Ashby, Pears, Jerrett, Ambrose, Langford, Kommer, Howlett, McKenna, Hartley.

Top 4 is a reality.

Please.

Only had to wait 3 players to find the classic pazza selection…

B: Baguley Hurley Hibberd
HB: Francis Hooker Gleeson
C: Colyer Hocking Z.Merrett
HF: Zaharakis Brown Laverde
F: Bird Daniher Goddard
Foll: Leuenberger Watson Heppell
Int: Stanton, Bellchambers, Parish, Myers

I must be the only one that would have a fit Cooney in my best 22.

Only had to wait 3 players to find the classic pazza selection...

Hartley’s no Simon Rosa.

But addressing the topic, it seems like we’ve really strengthened in that 16-28 bracket on the list (worst 6 in the team/best 6 not in the team) so a lot of it is going to come down to pre-season and in particular the NAB Challenge.

I reckon the core of the best 22 will look something like:

B: Baguley - Hooker - Gwilt
HB: Hibberd - Hurley - ???
C: Stanton - Myers - Goddard
HF: Colyer - Brown - ???
F: ??? - Daniher - Bellchambers
R: Leuenberger - Heppell - Hocking
I: Watson - Z Merrett - Bird - ???

That leaves 4 spots to be filled by Parish, Francis, Gleeson, Fantasia, Laverde, Cooney, Zaharakis, J Merrett, Edwards and Langford.

My guess is that we’ll see Francis, Cooney, Zaharakis and Laverde filling those spots for Rd 1.

Love stants, but can’t wait until we can afford to use him as a ‘burst’ player off the bench and through the midfield/fwd

Backs - Fantasia, Gwilt, Hurley, Brown, Baguely, Hibberd. Mids - Luenberger, Stanton, Watson, Hocking, Zerret, Heppell. Forwards - Hooker, Daniher, Parish, Colyer, Laverde, Zaka. Interchange - Myers, Edwards, Goddard, McKernan.

Top 4 is a reality.

Please.

Understand the reality of paying your dues before becoming a top 4 team but this team has the right age, experience profile to make a decent fist of it

We were pumping North in a final just over 12mths ago. They made a prelim this year.

We can make top4. Everything would have to go our way however.

• easy draw we have
  • injuries we need luck with
  • embedding of new game plan
  • finding a capable forward group

Wait till NAB cup is over. I will say Francis could slot straight into Fletcher’s void though or as a fwd who will be good for our balance. If we made one addition to our round 1 last night I think Francis is it.

Genuinely have no idea. Lot of spots up for grabs which can only be a good thing. Hopefully everyone gels really well. Creative tension and all that.

Automatics are: Hurley, Hooker, Baguley, Watson, Stanton, Goddard, Heppell, Luenberger, Colyer, Zerrett Hocking, Joe. 10 spots left. Probably need 1-2 more talls. One of them needs to be able to ruck. Browne and McKernan/Bellchambers. Need a guy who can take a third tall forward. Gwilt/Hartley. Then another 7 mids/half backs/small forwards. We seem to have plenty of options in there now too.

Bird
Francis
Parish
Langford
Laverde
Hibberd

Probably get the nod for the sake of development.

Biggest question mark is how is the forward line going to set up? Dempsey or Edwards or Morgan or even Eades in there?

Love stants, but can't wait until we can afford to use him as a 'burst' player off the bench and through the midfield/fwd

You want to use one of our best endurance runners as a burst player? Really?

Best 22
Start with Langford as mobile CHF…but if hes not ready Brown or McKernan to Come in.

B: Baguley, Hurley, Gwilt
HB: Hibberd, Hooker, Dempsey
C: Z. Merrett, Watson Colyer
HF: Zaharakis, Langford, Laverde
F: Bellchambers, Daniher, Cooney
R: Leuenberger, Heppell Myers
Int: Hocking, Howlett, Goddard Stanton
Emg Bird Brown McKernan

VFL Boys will be strong next year IMO.

B: Ashby Hartley Francis
HB: Gleeson Pears Fantasia
C: Long Coughlan J Merrett
HF: Edwards Brown Ambrose
F: Kommer Tagliabue Eades
R:McKernan Bird Parish
Int: Redman Morgan Wallis Bewick Tippa Polkinghorne, Schroder

Hey, where do people see Laverde in a few years time?

A lot of discussions about our future make-up, point to Laverde being a HFF as opposed to pure midfielder. At 190cm and relatively quick and agile, I’d thought (hope) he could be that big-bodied midfield beast that would complement our smaller sized contested young mids in Zerett and Parish quite well.

That said, I have been wrong though about a similar type in the past – such as McPhee. Do people see any concerns with Laverde’s tank, contested work etc? or is he just a better prospect as a forward pushing into midfield as opposed to the other way around?

Hibberererererered