The Best 22 thread

I think it’s the same as last year but you can now activate the sub whenever you want, instead of waiting for an injury/“injury”.

EDIT - found it here:

4 Likes

B McGrath, Laverde, Ridley
HB D’Ambrosio, Zerk-Thatcher, Redman
C Durham, Parish, Perkins
HF Langford, Weideman, Martin
F McDonald-Tipungwuti, Wright, Stringer
Foll Draper, Merrett, Setterfield
Int Hobbs, Tsatas, Caldwell, Heppell
Sub Snelling

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/every-afl-clubs-best-side-for-2023-season/news-story/7f921f1e4ed9c4638350412ae373fe19

1 Like

HS must hate Shiel.

11 Likes

Merrett, Parish and Shiel are clearly our top 3 midfielders, and with Perkins, Stringer, and possibly Langford to play some minutes there, I don’t think we can fit in Hobbs and Caldwell in the best 22. You can’t just have three pure mids on the bench, no matter how good their forward craft may be.

Going to be few disappointed players come round 1 .

i dont think he will play favourites only underlying issue is the captaincy…

we may actually end up with a decent magoos this year

2 Likes

Ahead of Guelfi and Snelling?
Sure you can.

1 Like

And have Walla as the only one pressure forward? Guelfi and Snellings are small forwards and Caldwell and Hobbs are pure mids. We need one of Guelfi or Snellings, hence why we can’t fit both both otherwise our forward line would get exposed quickly and our midfield is not exactly great at defending.

Under no circumstance should Langford be anywhere near getting midfield minutes ahead of Caldwell, Setterfield or Hobbs.

5 Likes

That’s not the point.

No, the point is that you think either Snelling or Guelfi are going to have better endurance, defensive pressure, forward sense, marking, crumbing and goal-kicking ability than either Caldwell or Hobbs.

And you might think that, and while I certainly accept that Guelfi is tenacious, I don’t believe that’s true at all.

Completely leaving aside the benefits of getting Hobbs in particular to 60-80 games over…playing…Guelfi or Snelling, I believe Caldwell and Hobbs are better options now.

Again, I like Guelfi.
A lot.
You know he’s always going to leave it all out on the field.
But you know that with Hobbs, too.

Edit: hopefully Davey will be putting pressure on in the back half of the season, too.

2 Likes

Yep, I’m trying to find an actual small forward to fill that spot. I’d just like to see a bit more lightning speed, and some real goal sense.

I had Menzie, who got himself completely locked down by McGrath on Friday… then I had Alwyn, but it may be way too early for the kid and he isn’t necessarily a small forward anyway. I really don’t have a favourite, just a pool of players I cycle through.

1 Like

I just can’t see it and we’ll just have to disagree. Hobbs did nice things last year in forward but team balance is important and apparently Brad is big on playing players in their positions - it’s safe to say Caldwell is ahead of Hobbs, so why would you play the latter forward if he’s a mid? If he can do better than Snelling or Guelfi then he’s a forward, not a mid. But he is a mid. If he goes to mid, who covers him? You have to consider rotation for team balance because you might end up having two defenders and one forward on the bench…. Where do you put the other mids?

Besides it’s not a bad thing to have a second year player continue their development in the magoos.

2 Likes

Redman Reid Laverde
McGrath BZT Ridley
Martin Parish Cox
Perkins Jones Langford
Stringer Wright Guelfi

Draper Shiel Merrett

Caldwell Hobbs Durham Setterfield
23rd D’Ambrosio

Reid out. D’Ambrosio in.
Weiderman in. Jones out.

3 Likes

And I’m sure the club that picked him up after he inevitably walked out would thank us for that.

You’re severely over rating Guelfi IMO. I’m a Snelling fan, but I’d only have him a nose in front of Hobbs for that role. But you it’s kids like Hobbs that will take us forward, not guys like Snelling or Guelfi.

5 Likes

I see Perkins being named on ball or on a wing in a few sides. I just don’t see it. He’s miles down the list for centre square time imo. And we have plenty of wing options who have him well covered for endurance too.

He might get a few cameos in games but i think we should be focusing on playing him in between the forward line and midfield for now and trying to use him as a connector more. He’s a very difficult player to handle 1 on 1 or even 1 on 2 but surround him with half a dozen guys and he loses that ability change angles and make stuff happen.

He might develop into a centre square play in the future but he’s got a ways to go. He doesn’t seem to be a natural accumulator of the ball

4 Likes

Pretty sure Perkins finished up at the pointy end of the running time trials.
He’s no nick Martin. But would be handy as another player who has played wing as a junior who could run through there, and may give him time and space to dispose of the ball that he doesnt get inside, plus a lot of his junior clips he is a marking midfielder in transition.

2 Likes

Totally agree regarding size in the middle. We would have to be the only team who finishes a season in 4th last, with an undersized midfield, then draft and recruits size for the middle then plays them in the VFL??

3 Likes

fair enough, perhaps i’m underestimating his tank

Perkins left as one of the best performed, running the 20m sprint in 2.93 seconds, the 2km time trial in 6:23 minutes and finishing third overall in the vertical jumps test (94cm). It was a performance on the whole that reminded recruiters of his explosiveness, and the edge he has on others in his draft class.

Note Daicos took out Pies 2022 time trial in 6:32

Nik Cox 6:03 at draft camp

1 Like