The Best Live Concerts

Starting this topic, as bands are better live and the full experience, going to start with Thin Lizzy never saw them live but they wowed me back in the 80’s

1 Like

East 17 festival hall

5 Likes

Beastie Boys free Tibet 1996 the Bronx.

2 Likes

Thin Lizzy were the first big international act that I saw live.

Free tickets for me and my brother in law via a 3XY Rocktober competition way back in 1978.

They were brilliant live…Phil Lynott was a master showman and the band was really on song that night.

3 Likes

Roxy Music - Festival Hall Feb 1981.

Best opening to a concert I’ve seen…background music started…spotlights in the floor of the stage came on to illuminate seven venetian blinds reaching from the ceiling to the floor…slowly, one by one, each blind rose to reveal a band member.

Last, but by no mean least, was Bryan Ferry dressed in an incredibly cool tuxedo.

Farken awesome!!!

7 Likes

just being able to watch them live in that 70’s crowd is weird, most are sitting and hand clapping, Jealous that you saw them live

1 Like

Post the concert :slight_smile:

Dire Straits. Saw them live at Festival Hall early on. I wasn’t a fan until a girlfriend dragged me along.

So much better live than on their studio albums.

3 Likes

I also saw them at Festival Hall…it was only their second time playing Telegraph Road live (Love Over Gold hadn’t been released yet) and I was spellbound listening to it.

They were excellent on that tour.

3 Likes

Jane’s Addiction - Palace Theatre 2010

The last time the original line up played together live. Ripper gig.

2 Likes

Nirvana, The Palace, 1992. Feb 01, all ages

No known video, but the audio is good enough for this to have been added to a recent boxed set.

The show was originally supposed to be at the Prince of Wales Hotel, but had to be moved to a larger venue.
It was playing Pearl Jam over the PA before Nirvana entered the stage. When the curtains opened Kurt said “I hate Pearl Jam” before launching into the first song.
After “Smells Like Teen Spirit”, the band played a long jam that included the spoken word intro to the song “Stonehenge” from Spinal Tap and part of “Vile” by the Melvins.

5 Likes

Very Spinal Tap

Saw them at the Palace on the Sunday night. Still the best live gig I’ve seen.
I remember Kurt going off for a couple of minutes and Krist singing an impromptu ditty about Melbourne town.
And the outside of the glass on the VIP room fogging up with condensation due to the heat in the place.

1 Like

Only seated show I’ve ever been too that got everybody out of their seat, they played like 40 something songs in a non-stop rock fest. The video from a 09 phone doesn’t do it justice but yeah still remains my favourite concert to this day

3 Likes

Is this a thread about bands we’ve seen live, or best live concert videos on YT? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Stop Making Sense tour Talking Heads 1984.
They were so unexpectedly brilliant I saw them twice. Firstly at Narrara and then in Melbourne.

8 Likes

Hard to beat the Rolling Stones at Kooyong in 1971. An incredibly hot day, but the band was at its peak.

I also saw Bob Dylan at Festival Hall in 1966 and heard Just Like a Woman and Visions of Johanna for the first time. The first half was Dylan solo and the second half was him with The Band (although they didn’t have a name at the time; they were just Dylan’s backing group). This was before the technology for electric bands had been properly developed so the sound quality in the second half wasn’t great.

3 Likes

A mate of mine bought one of those huge rear projection tv’s. Every time we’d be drinking beers he’d chuck on U2 live. I never want to see that gig again.

3 Likes

Bob Marley 79
The Clash 82 ??
Festival Hall. Hot & sweaty, standing room only.
Talking Heads as above.
Springsteen, any time but solo show late 90’s ???
Was a gift

2 Likes

Of those mentioned above l also attended the Stones at Kooyong in hot as hell Feb 1973, Dire Straits at Festival Hall and the Talking Heads Stop Making Sense show. The ticket for the Dire Straits show was with an ex-student who knew l was a fan and was also into them. Back later with a tale of my fave concerts.