The Bombers: Stories of a Great Club

Unless Kayo is its usual buggy self and says you have the correct phone number and therefore it won’t allow you to apply the code :crazy_face:

Hurry up, Estonia.

While you’re waiting we may need to merge two threads together.

I cried.

Career ended too early. Life ended way too early.

2 Likes

Recap with Mark Harvey.

I posted this in another thread but this is probably more appropriate so will post again.

Sent an email to the club (Xavier) this morning saying how much we enjoyed the first two episodes.
Xavier replied, thanking us & saying how wonderfully connected & generous those players from the 50’s & 60’s have been and what absolute gentlemen they are.

7 Likes

If you’ve got nothing to do, or are stuck lining up for a covid test, this is a great watch.

1 Like

Great show.
Although there was some revisionist history thrown in.
During the 2000 year, Sheeds got a historical premiership player to visit the playing group from time to time. It was Kevin Bartlett’s idea to not sing the song after a victory until a GF win. Not sure when that occurred, but the first I heard of it was around the loss to the Bulldogs. The doco made it sound like it was a pact from the start of the year.

I think the PF final loss to Sydney was every bit an important moment in time as the other events that they spent time on.
Probably the Zaharakis Anzac Day game and the Hird / Lloyd / Cupido Anzac Day game could have got some mention.

Cannot think of much else needing to be mentioned.

1 Like

The first sixty years of the clubs existence would’ve been nice. Sure there was a mention of the McCrackens glossed over in half a minute and of course and there’s probably very little footage of the early twentieth century both on film but there’s stills and I’m sure they could’ve cobbled up enough recordings plus some local history of Essendon added in. Little more than a couple of sentences on the East Melbourne era. Tack that onto the end of a more general and punchy intro for ten minutes, cos olden days isn’t too sexy to start with but five to ten minutes would’ve covered it nicely. Sheedy was big on the roots and that sort of thing and it looks as if Truck is too.

Otherwise, it was thoroughly enjoyable and very heartfelt.

7 Likes

That @Alber_Goodthur / @Albert_Thurgood guy was pretty boring. Why would you waste any time on him?

1 Like

Bump.

Finally got around to watching this. Loved it. The 80s - 2000 were phenomenal.

While they needed to cover the saga, I definitely wasn’t ready to relive that. Heartbreaking, but Jobe is a ■■■■■■■ warrior.

3 Likes
9 Likes

Loved it, but felt the last couple of episodes were just bits and pieces stuck together.

And then the last few minutes was basically truck and MCG (?) saying ‘premiership, grand finals, finals’ in every sentence.

1 Like

So you reckon the Lid Off thread deserves a writing credit?

1 Like

Asked my Mum to sit through the first couple of episodes this evening and she was thrilled. She had a couple of anecdotes about Geoff Leek and Alec Epis too.

3 Likes

Hijacking a history thread rather than creating one for the below silliness:

3 Likes

■■■■ Reynolds.

If there’s one name this site needs to let through the filter it’s ■■■■ ■■■■■■■ Reynolds.

We tried, but Blitzers couldn’t be adult about it.

3 Likes

Did she call Leek the Gentle Giant and Epis the Kookaburra?

1 Like

would’ve expected this to be earlier on the list tbh.