The COLA is gone

B Reid just purchased a 1.3 million place in sydneys east  so whats that telling you?

That he's just purchased a 1x bed flat?

1.3 mill would get you plenty.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-04/afl-to-scrap-cola?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

"The club has used the allowance for its intended purpose - to provide all players on our list compensation for the higher costs associated with living in Sydney," Pridham said in a statement.

"We remain extremely disappointed at the ongoing campaign to remove a longstanding and legitimate equalisation mechanism.

According to the data that the Economist released today the cost of living in Sydney is less than two percent greater than that of living in Melbourne. So that argument is bullshit.

Pridham rejected suggestions the Swans had used the money, some 9.8 per cent more than rivals, to lure highly paid recruits Lance Franklin and Kurt Tippett.

Of course. Other clubs could totally have afforded to buy Tippett, and Buddy, it was just that nobody wanted them.

I never understood why the COLA was simply added onto their salary cap. If the AFL truly wanted it to be used as a supplement to every player on the list to offset the supposed higher cost of living, why not keep the salary cap the same as other clubs and then additionally allow a $10,000 (or whatever the extra 9.8% divided equally between the 44 players on the list) payment to each player.  By simply chucking it in the salary cap, it allows the club to pay "Sydney Rookie Player A" the exact same as "Essendon Rookie Player A", and then load up on "Soon-to-be-Sydney Elite player A" with the difference. Rubbish system with rubbish reasoning. If they really wanted to get practical about it, the COLA should have only been available to players under a pre-determined salary thresh-hold (ie - only players on less than $100k/pa were eligible).  Does Buddy Franklin really need financial asistance to buy/rent a house in Sydney on what he is earning per year? Hardly.

1 Like

Does Buddy Franklin really need financial asistance to buy/rent a house in Sydney on what he is earning per year? Hardly.

Once you take out all the...cola... that goes up his nose, then yes. Basically skint. Can't even afford a whole T-shirt most of the time I've seen him.

What was worse, the lions kept theirs and paid it as an incentive for players when they won finals or a GF.

laters

Mike Fitzpatrick: "However ... I am proud that when the history is written of doping in sport in Australia, our competition the Essendon Football Club can say we stood up and reported voluntarily, and we opened ourselves to investigation," he wrote in the annual report.
"We did not put our head in the sand, we did not blame others and we did not attack the credibility of the officers Australian Crime Commission or the anti-doping authorities."

Wow... what a hero. He forgot to mention how the AFL didn't leak

Fixed.

I prefer this version

"However ... I am proud that when the history is written of doping in sport in Australia, our competition the Essendon Football Club can say we stood up and reported voluntarily, and we opened ourselves to investigation," he wrote in the annual report.
"Whereas we, the AFL, did not put our head in the sand, we did not blame others and we did not attack the credibility of the officers Australian Crime Commission or the anti-doping authorities my hair did look great doing it."

I never understood why the COLA was simply added onto their salary cap. If the AFL truly wanted it to be used as a supplement to every player on the list to offset the supposed higher cost of living, why not keep the salary cap the same as other clubs and then additionally allow a $10,000 (or whatever the extra 9.8% divided equally between the 44 players on the list) payment to each player.  By simply chucking it in the salary cap, it allows the club to pay "Sydney Rookie Player A" the exact same as "Essendon Rookie Player A", and then load up on "Soon-to-be-Sydney Elite player A" with the difference. Rubbish system with rubbish reasoning. If they really wanted to get practical about it, the COLA should have only been available to players under a pre-determined salary thresh-hold (ie - only players on less than $100k/pa were eligible).  Does Buddy Franklin really need financial asistance to buy/rent a house in Sydney on what he is earning per year? Hardly.

I heard a great model for this the other day.

10% loading for 1st and 2nd year players as they are getting established.

5% loading for 3rd and 4th year players

0% for 5 year plus players

Good! You don't see the Lakers get extra cap space because of California's state taxes.

Should be a level playing field, every team starts from the same point with the same rules. Then it is up to those running the clubs to make them successful.

Eddie palmer is getting a lot of clubs offside with his destructive behaviour.

I  will never forgive him  for his bold statement about james hird not coaching essendon again,his role in sarahgate,and his comments that .lawyers fees in the asada saga must be counted in essendons salary cap.

k

Are you saying that ... club presidents are privately seething?

eddie palmer. I like it.

Are you saying that ... club presidents are privately seething?

Well i did hear eddie say on the radio words similar to this "i am the collingwood president i dont give a stuff what others think of me,i voted for GWS to enter the afl pridham did not,hes only been here for 5 minutes".

When pridham replied he said " i have been on the sydney board for 13 years and i voted for gws to enter into the big league".

So yes.

I liked where Eddie McGuire, current radio & TV host, former network boss, chum of the ex-AFL CEO, former journalist, occasional newspaper columnist, and as we know 15-year-strong club president, had a go at Neil Cordy (ex Footscray) for his clear and obvious bias, writing match reports in the Sydney papers.

World's biggest hypocrite. Not that that's anything new.

I liked where Eddie McGuire, current radio & TV host, former network boss, chum of the ex-AFL CEO, former journalist, occasional newspaper columnist, and as we know 15-year-strong club president, had a go at Neil Cordy (ex Footscray) for his clear and obvious bias, writing match reports in the Sydney papers.

Um… you do know Cordy played seven years with Sydney, right?

But yeah, fark Eddie. 

Best thing is to see someone having a crack at Eddie.

agree. He can't seem to handle it. As soon as someone has a crack back- he always come out with "oh i think we need to get together and work this our behind closed doors". He is happy to dish it out but not cop it. Typical bully. Just an A GRADE TWAT!!

agree. He can't seem to handle it. As soon as someone has a crack back- he always come out with "oh i think we need to get together and work this our behind closed doors". He is happy to dish it out but not cop it. Typical bully. Just an A GRADE ****!!

What ? - Eddie gives it out and takes it as well - Caro hasn't been able to land a glove on Eddie.

No more Coke.

Did Buddy and Hannebery have a party?