The Comedy Thread

A reply to: @Blummers32 regarding QuoteLink

If you were to write down what he says, it's totally not funny. But because of his attitude, his laid back style (he doesn't mind chuckling at himself) and his 'imitations' of people, you find yourself laughing from start to finish.

nah that ■■■■■ funny yo

Yeah, I was at the 9.30 show.

I agree with Blummers, some of the stuff he talks about, isn’t in any way funny. It’s just that the guy himself is so farkin hilarious, he could read the time out loud and still make me laugh.

He seemed a bit tired, and not totally ‘on,’ yet it’s probably one of the more consistently funniest gigs I’ve been to. Has anybody seen his latest special? He is at the top of his game at the moment.

Ronnie Chieng was awesome as warm-up too. Very funny night, and Hamer Hall has never looked so bogan.

I liked the way the whole act don’t seem scripted. He just seems to ramble on about any old topic that comes to mind. He’s use a naturally funny person who just acts himself when on stage.
Haven’t seen any of his other stand up stuff nor the special. But I think I have downloaded them ready to watch.

Ronnie Chieng took me a bit of time to warm to.

A reply to: @Blummers32 regarding QuoteLink

I liked the way the whole act don't seem scripted. He just seems to ramble on about any old topic that comes to mind. He's use a naturally funny person who just acts himself when on stage. Haven't seen any of his other stand up stuff nor the special. But I think I have downloaded them ready to watch.

Ronnie Chieng took me a bit of time to warm to.

Racist. :slight_smile:

I recommend all of Bill’s specials, but Why Do I do This and I’m Sorry You Feel That Way would be my two picks.

I’ll have to pay him more attention. The clips I watched previously of him did not grab me at all…

This is awkward and great.

Big fan of both these guys.

When Fiona O’Laughlin reminisces the previous night through her hangover, at least she has a fuzzy filter to assuage her crimes. Okine has no where to hide at all there.

And rock was right about humility and ego!!

Lol, yep, somewhat awkward. Okine’s stuff is pretty good though, from what I’ve seen.

We’ll have to ramp this thread up a bit over the next few weeks with the comedy festival hitting town.

Yeah good call.

I have always liked Okine, I think he’s the sort of guy you either love or hate though. He’s very Gen Y but I think he’s quite good. Saw him last year.

Some of Russell Peters’ stuff is good.

There is some better stuff of his.

Lucille Ball could be very annoying but she’s ■■■■■■ good here. Harpo, who was in his mid 60s here, was always funny.

Going to see okine at the comedy festival. Any other recommendations? Already seen jimoein, arj, will Anderson, Sammy j and a couple of others. Thought they were all great (except James Bourne) so who else are good?

I think Jim Jeffries is sold out, but if you can get a ticket…

The international acts are a bit meh this year imo. Russell Peters is probably the stand out. Ari Shaffir is a funny guy on podcasts but I’m not totally sold on his stand up.

(That’s not to say the international guests aren’t funny, just not my type, or I’ve never heard them)

It’s the year to load up on local acts I reckon.

Off the top of my head, check out:

Ronnie Cheung
Tommy Little
Nick Cody
Luke Mcgregor
Bart Freebairn
Steele Saunders (He has a stand up show, and live recordings of both his podcasts)

I love the atmosphere in the city at this time of year, it makes you want to walk into halftix and buy a ticket to a random show for $10!

I would certainly recommend Justin Hamilton, I loved his show a few years ago.

Of the internationals, I’m a big fan of Michael Che (from SNL) and Stephen K Amos is usually very good (I didn’t see him last year though). Ross Noble is another one I’m keen to see.

What is Michael Che’s stand up like? I find him cringe-worthy on SNL, but I’ve never seen his stand up.

I’ve seen very little of it, I’m mostly basing off a couple of podcasts I’ve heard. He certainly delivers in the same under-stated tone that I’m guessing you find annoying. I’ll report back after I see his show though!

Quoted Post

I've seen very little of it, I'm mostly basing off a couple of podcasts I've heard. He certainly delivers in the same under-stated tone that I'm guessing you find annoying. I'll report back after I see his show though!

I don’t think Weekend Update suits him.

I just did a quick youtube browse of his comedy… Sounded pretty good actually.

Got snippets of lots of local acts on the telly last night on the Gala, plenty of shouting and vulgarity, not many jokes. Pretty disappointing.

Is Steele Saunders a comedian now? I knew him years back when he did a punk fanzine. Always was a funny guy.

Does anyone here rate Russell Kane? Saw him on the Apollo show and warmed to him. Great energy and very quick. I wondered if it was worth chasing up his stuff.

Quoted Post

I love the atmosphere in the city at this time of year, it makes you want to walk into halftix and buy a ticket to a random show for $10!

Of the internationals, I’m a big fan of Michael Che (from SNL) and Stephen K Amos is usually very good (I didn’t see him last year though). Ross Noble is another one I’m keen to see.

Yep, agree with that. Love it at the moment.

Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll have a check of some of these guys on youtube.

Oh, and Russell Brandt is not a ■■■■■■■ comedians ■■■■■■■■. Sorry, has nothing to do with the above posts, just thought I would share that.

Quoted Post

Yep, agree with that. Love it at the moment.

Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll have a check of some of these guys on youtube.

Oh, and Russell Brandt is not a ■■■■■■■ comedians ■■■■■■■■. Sorry, has nothing to do with the above posts, just thought I would share that.

Same. Annoyingly preachy and just not funny.