The Comedy Thread

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
I love the atmosphere in the city at this time of year, it makes you want to walk into halftix and buy a ticket to a random show for $10!

I would certainly recommend Justin Hamilton, I loved his show a few years ago.

Of the internationals, I’m a big fan of Michael Che (from SNL) and Stephen K Amos is usually very good (I didn’t see him last year though). Ross Noble is another one I’m keen to see.

Yep, agree with that. Love it at the moment.

Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll have a check of some of these guys on youtube.

Oh, and Russell Brandt is not a ■■■■■■■ comedians ■■■■■■■■. Sorry, has nothing to do with the above posts, just thought I would share that.

So much this.
It’s the one time of year that the city seems to be made for the people. That nighttime in the CBD is for communal living and not just for drunks.
Or something.
It’s an amazing vibe.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
I love the atmosphere in the city at this time of year, it makes you want to walk into halftix and buy a ticket to a random show for $10!

I would certainly recommend Justin Hamilton, I loved his show a few years ago.

Of the internationals, I’m a big fan of Michael Che (from SNL) and Stephen K Amos is usually very good (I didn’t see him last year though). Ross Noble is another one I’m keen to see.

Yep, agree with that. Love it at the moment.

Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll have a check of some of these guys on youtube.

Oh, and Russell Brandt is not a ■■■■■■■ comedians ■■■■■■■■. Sorry, has nothing to do with the above posts, just thought I would share that.

Same. Annoyingly preachy and just not funny.

That’s how I feel about Arj Barker.

Anyway, Jim Jeffries is coming to Cairns soon and I’ll be out of the country. Devo…

Anyone watch the gala last night? Am I being sexist or are female comedians not that funny? I’m not sure if it’s in the delivery or if they keep going back to sex.

The kiwi lady last night, talking about her weight and lesbian partner etc was very funny though.

It’s interesting (I was going to say funny), while I agree the majority of women comics fall back on ‘let me tell you what a jerk my last boyfriend was/I am so fat’ unfunniness, there seems to be less of that now.

Hannah Gadsby is hilarious and smart. Fiona O’Loughlin is funny and relatable and knows just how far into that’s so wrong to go.
Saw both of them last year.
I’m seeing Kitty Flanagan this year. I’ve always liked her on the old sketch shows, and she’s very good when I (rarely) flick past The Project.

Quoted Post

It's interesting (I was going to say funny), while I agree the majority of women comics fall back on 'let me tell you what a jerk my last boyfriend was/I am so fat' unfunniness, there seems to be less of that now.

Hannah Gadsby is hilarious and smart. Fiona O’Loughlin is funny and relatable and knows just how far into that’s so wrong to go.
I’m seeing Kitty Flanagan this year. I’ve always liked her on the old sketch shows, and she’s very good when I (rarely) flick past The Project.

I’m keen to see here. Thought she was brilliant in Full Frontal and the other sketch show she was on. I watched O’Laughlin last night on that gala show, thought she was not too bad, though did also think she was high on crystal meth.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
It's interesting (I was going to say funny), while I agree the majority of women comics fall back on 'let me tell you what a jerk my last boyfriend was/I am so fat' unfunniness, there seems to be less of that now.

I’m keen to see here. Thought she was brilliant in Full Frontal and the other sketch show she was on. I watched O’Laughlin last night on that gala show, thought she was not too bad, though did also think she was high on crystal meth.

Honestly, I love her work, but I do worry about her.

Quoted Post

Anyone watch the gala last night? Am I being sexist or are female comedians not that funny? I'm not sure if it's in the delivery or if they keep going back to sex.

The kiwi lady last night, talking about her weight and lesbian partner etc was very funny though.

Cal Wilson?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Anyone watch the gala last night? Am I being sexist or are female comedians not that funny? I'm not sure if it's in the delivery or if they keep going back to sex.

Cal Wilson?

No it was Urzila Carlson, a South African living in NZ, from the little I’ve seen of her she is quite funny

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Cal Wilson?

No it was Urzila Carlson, a South African living in NZ, from the little I’ve seen of her she is quite funny

Yep, that was her.

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Cal Wilson?

Almost vomit any time I hear her voice. Possibly the worst combination of accents ever?
And I find her preeetty lame too.

Can’t believe Frankie Boyle hasn’t got a gig in this thread yet.

Is there a MICF app this year that gives you the schedules and so on?

I was working last night, so didn’t see the Gala. Was it any good? Worth finding online?

Quoted Post

No android one. Not sure about the Apples

Quoted Post

I was working last night, so didn't see the Gala. Was it any good? Worth finding online?

Like most of them. Some were funny, some were dead set crap.

Was jim Jeffries or Russell Peters on?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

I'm on the Apples and I can't find one. Odd. Was handy in past years.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

I'm on the Apples and I can't find one. Odd. Was handy in past years.

I know, even the ■■■■■■ fringe festival gets an App.

I’ve got a nice, glossy booklet from out of the paper with all the shows in it.

Old school.

Comedy nerds, I was re-watching one of my all time favorite bits from the Late Show last night and thought you would enjoy.

How they didn’t manage to be sued by a certain comedian for this bit I will never ever know…

1 Like

Classic sketch^^^
It wouldn’t be right unless someone followed it up with this!