The Cricket Thread (part 5) - from March 2023

I’d love to see where bowlers have bowled to him. You’d think someone who barely leaves could be susceptible to nicking one that moves away on a good line outside off

He’s backing himself and so far it’s working for him

Since his recall he’s played Pakistan (who fielded extremely weak bowling attacks during that series, especially in the first Test), NZ without Boult and Jamieson, and now Ireland. I suspect the bloke is going to be in for a rude awakening when the Ashes gets underway…

1 Like

Warner announces his retirement at the end of the Australian summer in 2024

Might be fast tracked to the middle of the Australian winter if he fails in the first couple of tests.

2 Likes

Damn, thought it might be immediate

1 Like

Surely he isn’t going to make it that far!

CA between a rock and a hard place. If they send him off now, we will have put up with Candice bang on how he’s been mistreated. If they let him keep going we have to put Candice bang on during his farewell tour about how much of a great servant to cricket he’s been.

He needs to be dropped, full stop. I have never seen a guy try to hang onto his cricket career in this fashion before - engaging his wife to go to war for him regularly and now outlining HIS plans. Ahem, you haven’t scored runs for years now Davie apart from the very odd flash in the pan. Take away the double and triple tons he has averaged 25 runs over the last 5 years! I seriously hope the selectors drop him straight up, or if this form continues. Despite what Candice says, there are other opening batsmen that cannot possibly do any worse.

4 Likes

Hope he can cobble together a good enough 6-7 months to get the test send off he wants.

He’s one of the all time greats. Deserves a proper send off.

If the reports of flat, hard decks come to fruition, that will give him the best chance. I fear he’s past it now, though. But, as the old saying goes, you never write off a champion.

Not sure how the Poms think flat pitches help them against us. Surely seaming wickets are their trump card. A shootout plus into our hands. Plus our bowlers should be harder to “Bazball”

Warner can finish his test career in the final test against Pakistan as long as he’s out of every team from now until then

1 Like

A grade flog baffles me how he is still getting selected.

I fear your hope is a forlorn one. Warner has already had the chance to go out of test cricket with an SCG farewell, and he didn’t take the hint. I would like nothing more than to see him make runs and plenty of them, but he just isn’t the same player any more.

1 Like

Hopefully John Esophagus gets a game soon

2 Likes

Lol!

1 Like

It’s bizarre. Our bats, openers especially, struggle on green tops. A flat wicket on small ovals against an amory of medium pacers is exactly what Warner & Khawaja want. Our bowling collective is also too disciplined that even on a road they won’t be going at 6 runs an over as is the poms gsme plan. They’re either bluffing, or they’re coming out of this series looking very silly.

2 Likes

Yes just imagine Hand could do some great work with Mark Wood, and you’d love to slot Graham Gooch back in between Wood and Stones, seems such a natural fit. Tongue could really do some great work anywhere in that lineup.
Root just has so many options.

5 Likes

They will chase the overhead conditions over the pitch. Isn’t that what they always do?

Top quality post that.