The Cricket Thread (part 6) - from July 2023 (Bartholemew Frinton-Smythe, Humphrey Wigbert-Porter, and Quinten Breckenridge)

i get that Stokes may play better when confronted by a challenge - he’s proven to do that.

But not sure that applies to the whole side. But regardless, being 0-2 is not preferred to being 2-0.

1 Like

I’d have said, did he do that?

Edit: and if you want to take it further, if he’d got a foot down and thrown it away before he toppled over the line, that’s out.
He’s controlled the catch inside the field of play.
End of story.

Edit: edit: it’s a complete garbage rule.

BREAKING: England Confirm They’re Actually 2-0 Up After ‘Feeling Like They Won’ Another Test

WENDELL HUSSEY | Cadet | CONTACT

Australian cricket fans have today received a rude shock, after learning that their team is not in fact up 2-0 in the Ashes.

Even worse, Australian cricket fans have been informed that their team is actually 2-0 down!

With 2 of 5 tests played, the Australians now face an uphill battle to win or draw the series, needing results in all remaining matches in England.

This comes after English coach, spiritual guru and the chosen one Brendon ‘Baz’ McCullum revealed that England actually won this week’s test match.

“We actually feel like we won that one too,” said McCullum, roughly a week after claiming that his disciples had won the first game of Ashes cricket.

That claim came in the face of the fact the English technically lost the game, because they scored less runs than the Australian cricket team.

Baz and the boys have revealed however, that they don’t have time for those boring technicalities, and prefer to judge wins and losses on how they feel about the game.

“I mean, if you look at the way the Aussie’s stole Johnny Bairstow’s wicket and the way Stokesy played, we actually won that game I reckon,” said the coach of the team that lost by 43 runs.

“The dumb cheating Aussies don’t play the way we want them to, so I think we were the actual winners,” continued the man who is re-inventing the game of cricket and ignoring all the times in the past he and his players have done or tried to do the exact same thing as the Alex Carey did.

“And we aren’t having lukewarm flat beers with them because of that.”

“Stupid pathetic Aussies”

15 Likes

To be actually fair, that’s not what he was saying. He was saying that when you’re in this deep and have to win every single test remaining (and any of them could be shortened by rain etc) playing conservatively would be a bad idea.

1 Like

Imagine if Carey had delayed the ball like Foakes does in this dismissal. English cricketers, their coaches and fans have very short memories.

Spirit of Cricket. Yeah right.

1 Like

Anyhoo, well done to Australia for getting the win. Top batting on first day. Pulled England back in their first innings when they were 1 for 180+ (?)
And then dealt with a rampaging Stokes. All this after losing Lyon.

Fantastic win that the other stuff is going to distract from.

2 Likes

Well he was actually called back out to the middle by his captain

“Spirit of the game” and all that

I’m not sure what all the fuss is about with Bairstows stumping
He’s so obviously in need of exercise that he went for a bit of a walk

2 Likes

Getting back to ‘Bazball’, I think the Aussies have shown that it isn’t likely to work all the time. There is a time and place for aggressive cricket. But Brook’s dismissal in the 1st innings was utterly stupid. It is fine when playing lower class teams around the world, but the Aussies have a very high class bowling lineup, and a bit more respect to the bowling could even have them 2-0 up. So gratz to Cummings and the coaching staff. This is Ashes cricket, and playing hard ball.

2 Likes

Actually I think Green put a bucket of KFC, 7 yards in front of him just off the pitch. It was a reflex action to walk towards it

2 Likes

Niiiiice Garry.

They’ve got us right where they want us :smile: :smile: :smile:

This whole bazzball positivity phenomen has clearly hit some turbulence.
Stuart McGill made a really interesting point on this the other day in saying that the whole philosophy almost makes people unaccountable for their mistakes or weaknesses and immune from criticism as long as they played in the right intent or “spirit”.
Anything of true value has to be able to withstand stress and heat at some point surely.

We obviously don’t know what’s said behind closed doors but they seem to be spending an awful amount of energy trying to convince everyone (as much as themselves) their belief in a higher purpose - Sheedy deflection at its finest.

2 Likes

The dopey ump wasn’t even looking

4 Likes

6 Likes

pinched from another site

36 Likes

Unpleasant team to play against? that’s just the soap-dodgers’ BO and bad breath.

1 Like

Warner was aiming to plant one on a few members’ chins, but looked around, and couldn’t see any.

10 Likes

:clap:

coincidentally we just finished watching the Peter Jackson Get Back doco yesterday. Was excellent by the way.

should’ve captioned it “Flabby Road”.

7 Likes