The Cricket Thread (part 6) - from July 2023 (Bartholemew Frinton-Smythe, Humphrey Wigbert-Porter, and Quinten Breckenridge)

There was quite a bit of comment about how Langer had made the Australians sit through a replay of the last day at Headingley.

Pity they didn’t brainstorm how to combat it if it happened again.

1. Let Stokes have the strike for the first 4 or 5 balls and then get one or two at the dud bat
  2. Don’t try to get the dud bat out, but try to hurt him instead
  3. Drop catches

All we were missing was the fluffed run-out and that’s only because Lyon wasn’t there.

I do applaud trying to hurt Broad though.

I assume the Poms will leave out Pope and Anderson at Edgbaston.
Maybe shift the order up and bat Bairstow at 6 and have Foakes keep.
Maybe Wood for Anderson or Robinson, and bring Moeen back.

1 Like

I do expect Ollie to be ditched for Headingly in favour of someone who can actually bowl with a chance of taking wickets.

Looking for Joe Root maybe? Pity that Warner couldn’t find him!

Identical. With bairstow my only reservation was that he made an effort to go back over the crease, did a little scratching then went left.

I say, old chap, that’s a bit harsh… on Australia.

1 Like

12 Likes

Uzi was the non white man on the runway.

2 Likes
6 Likes

As rubbish as he looks, he’s taken 10 of their 38 wickets at an average of 24.6.

Doubt he’s dropped, done far better wicket wise than Anderson

2 Likes

For sure l don’t want Anderson dropped. He is a shadow of his former self. l have commented a couple of times during the telecasts of both tests, that he looks disinterested. Certainly he has hardly looked threatening.

2 Likes

Probably the most balanced and interesting critique of the whole Bazball thing, awesome listen

1 Like

From an Englad perspective, Wood for Anderson seems the likely choice. Anderson has looked rudderless all series.

We’ll swap Murphy for Lyon but have to be ready for the onslaught, they’ll obviously target him.

I think one of the members probably asked Uzzi to bring him a Singapore Sling.

Uzzi wouild have wished he had an Uzi.

2 Likes

He didn’t fit their “profile”.

1 Like

Still can’t get my head around a Test batsman having no interest in where /what the ball is doing a half second after it’s passed the bat.

I played a bit of junior cricket with John Scholes’ son, and whilst John wasn’t the coach he did offer plenty of advice to the kids. One of which was to be a stickler for not turning “blind” when running between the wickets. Switch the bat to the other hand depending where the ball was to keep it in view. “You always need to know where the ball is, and where the fielder is”. These things become a habit that you don’t always realise. As does looking back at the keeper if you’ve missed /left the ball , thinking about it now I’d always wait until he’d dished it off to slip, gully etc before assuming the ball is dead. Then again, my other habit was to stroll out towards square leg a few steps, not so much down the pitch.

Bairstow is clearly in the habit of presuming a dead ball the instant it’s gone through to the keeper. He doesn’t even look to see.

4 Likes

My understanding is that it was a long the lines of the “egg and bacon” MCC attire and if Usman would like some bacon. I believe that’s when Davy asked the bloke if he wanted to go outside for a chat or be garrotted with the MCC tie.
Still a bit hazy but that seemed the gist of it

2 Likes

Their issue appears that it was done on the last ball of an over.

“Number 4 with black bean sauce please”

2 Likes

A good umpire should always call over

1 Like

Well Mr Bairstow what do you have to say about spirit of cricket now

4 Likes