The Cricket Thread (part 8) - from Jan 2024

Wow, that was some special throw to run him out with a direct hit!

Poms will only need 20 minutes on day 3 to wrap this one up

Hopefully jimmy can get 3 of the last 4 wickets and get a 5for in his last test

Been a very mature performance from the team. Didn’t go all out attack with that bat. Sometimes they dug in and sometimes they attacked

Dale Steyn and Stuart Broad on atm.

Fascinating and insightful.

Thanks for the amazing memories and so many great moments Jimmy

All the best in whatever you choose to do next, you absolute legend of the game

4 Likes

I’m fairly safe in saying this. But Jimmy Anderson has to have been the last active sportsperson to have played at the MCG in front of the old Members stand. He made his ODI debut at the MCG in late 2002. An almost 22 year career for your country is an absolutely amazing effort - especially as a seam bowler.

3 Likes

Congrats on a long career Jimmy. One of the greatest exponents of swing bowling ever. Had a mastery of the craft that few possess.

4 Likes

Respect!

https://x.com/englandcricket/status/1811757481502085311?s=48&t=jP9yAoyIZMw-PbFV0mzl6g

What a life. Travelled the world playing for your country. Now he has to retire and spend time at home with his model wife.

2 Likes

And his last wicket was a classic Anderson wicket. Aiming in at leg with a late

1 Like

Australian selectors have taken a broom to the national T20 team in the wake of the early World Cup exit, calling up uncapped youngster Cooper Connolly for games against England and Scotland in September while stamping Jake Fraser-McGurk as David Warner’s white-ball opening replacement.

West Australian Connolly, 20, and a former Australian under-19 captain, was given the nod as part of a 14-player T20 squad that includes nine members of the World Cup squad, including captain Mitch Marsh.

Australia T20 squad: Mitchell Marsh (c), Xavier Bartlett, Cooper Connolly, Tim David, Nathan Ellis, Jake Fraser-McGurk, Cameron Green, Aaron Hardie, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Spencer Johnson, Marcus Stoinis, Adam Zampa.

Australia ODI squad: Mitch Marsh (c), Sean Abbott, Alex Carey, Nathan Ellis, Jake Fraser-McGurk, Cameron Green, Aaron Hardie, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Marnus Labuschagne, Glenn Maxwell, Matthew Short, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Adam Zampa.

FAREWELL TO AN OK BOWLER:
Jimmy Anderson was forced to retire (dropped).
Let’s look at his moderate career.
Don’t forget, for whatever biases you have, these are pure number facts, and they don’t care about your “I’ve had 8 pints and I don’t rate McGrath like I should” theories…
Strap in, this may sting a little…

VS. AUS - THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT AND DEFINING STAT OF ANY ENGLISH PLAYER:

• Overall: 39 Tests (72 inn) - 117 wkts @ 36.0 - Econ 2.93, SR 73, 5 x 5wi, 1 x 10wm
    Comment: that’s dogshit…
  • At home: 18 Tests (33 inn) - 49 wkts @ 38.7 - Econ 3.11, SR 75, 4 x 5wi, 1 x 10wm
    Comment: that’s also dogshit…
  • Away: 21 Tests (39 inn) - 68 wkts @ 34.0 - Econ 2.80, SR 73, 1 x 5wi
    Comment: that’s overall dogshit…

OK, SO THAT DEFINING ARC FARED POORLY FOR HIM, WHAT ELSE? HOW DO WE GASLIGHT OUR AUDIENCE?

• Home: 106 Tests (201 inn) - 435 wkts @ 24.5 - Econ 2.80, SR 52, 24 x 5wi, 3 x 10wm
  • Away: 76 Tests (136 inn) - 244 wkts @ 30.7 - Econ 2.83, SR 65, 8 x 5wi
    Comment: OK, so as soon as the plane leaves English shores to play a nation in their home land he bowls at 31. Your “great”… Got it…Hey Jamie, can we pull up what Curtly or McGrath bowled at away from home? Thanks…
  • Netural: 6 Tests (12 inn) - 22 wkts @ 20.5 - Econ 2.09, SR 59, Best 4/17
    Comment: Easily my favourite Anderson stat. This is against Pakistan, in UAE, as a (slow) pace bowler. This is excellent, no two ways, very impressed and proud…

OH, YEAH, BUT LATEST AND FULLEST!
Bollocks…

• Last 8 Tests (15 inn) - 15 wkts @ 50.8 - Econ 2.89, SR 106, Best 3/47
    Comment: Wow, amazing!

OH, YEAH, BUT LATEST AND FULLEST AT HOME!!!

• Last 4 Tests (8 inn) - 5 wkts @ 85.4 - Econ 2.77, SR 185, Best 1/51
    Comment: That’s the worst stat yet, what next?

THE LAST 2 YEARS:

• 2023 - 6 Tests (12 inn) - 15 wkts @ 39.7 - Econ 2.72, SR 87, Best 4/18
  • 2024 - 4 Tests (7 inn) - 10 wkts @ 33.5 - Econ 3.04, SR 66, Best 3/47
    Comment: SR Watson had better bowling averages…Both are awful.

B-B-B-BUT I’M BOWLING AT MY BEST EVER?!
Yeah, exactly, and it’s still mid af, and you’re getting worse.

FAREWELL, JIM.
Hardly knew ye, I grew up with McGrath, Ambrose, Akram, Younis, Akhtar, Gough, Hadlee, Donald, Steyn, actual good bowlers.
You’ll have to forgive me for not giving a ■■■■ about your forgettable career.
Yeah, you stuck around for ages.
So did lupus and the bubonic plague, neither of them are well heralded or well received.
An average bowler who had extraordinary staying power in a setup that valued omnipotence over capability.
Despite your lengthy career, you’ll be forgotten by English crowds the second someone actually good and interesting arrives.
And you’ve already been forgotten by the rest.
Don’t let the door hit you on your 124km/h, bowling at 85.4 of late at home arse.
Cheers.
Love,
CSS.

5 Likes

Have you been reading my review of him!
Concur with everything said

I don’t like that people are tearing Anderson down, just because some clueless England fans are calling him among the greats, and in some cases The Greatest.
These are not serious people.
And their comments are not Anderson’s fault.

It detracts from a very good career, and the outstanding achievement of his longevity as a fast bowler that will not be surpassed in a very long time, if ever.

5 Likes

POST. OF. THE. YEAR!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Let’s be honest, some people are classy( yourself) some aren’t

Imo he is a great of the game, if others think different it’s cool

To call him an average bowler is just being a flog

1 Like

I was more than keen to engage in the argument, but not just after he’s retired.

And yes, he was a Very good bowler.
He did amazing things with ball at times, and had some great victories.

On the other hand…
sigh
“James Anderson is the greatest fast bowler to play the game,” Stokes declared. (2023)

1 Like

I mean, he’s categorically not the greatest.
I think Stuart Broad was a better quick. He was genuinely destructive.

But he was damn good. He’s absolutely one of the greats and 700+ test wickets attests to that. Being able to keep fronting up counts for a lot.

1 Like

Who would you classify as great bowlers?

Greatest or greats?

I think Anderson is a undoubtedly a great. So is Broad. Fk all players get 300+ wickets, let alone 500+ like they both did.

I don’t think he’s the greatest, though. I’ve heard almost universally from those who faced Malcolm Marshall that he was the best. I’ll take their word for it.

1 Like

Greats?

Fair call. I don’t think he is the greatest either tbh. From the players I have seen a lot of in my lifetime I have McGrath and Steyn ahead of him

Anderson honestly reminds me a lot of Dustin Fletcher in that he actually became a better all round player as he got older

1 Like