The Dog Thread

As it happens, my son just got himself a rescue dog.

Johnson Bulldog cross pup.

Pretty big already at just 6 months …

10 Likes

Awww…she’s beautiful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good on him! She is absolutely beautiful!

1 Like

Taking delivery tomorrow if a 9 mo kelpie boy who’s recently been rescued from a pretty crappy situation. Apparently has lived his whole life to date inside a shed, albeit with regular food etc.

Anticipating a bit of a challenge but hopefully we can help him get back on track. Will post some pics when he gets here.

18 Likes

How lovely and exciting!

Can’t wait to see the pics.

As promised!

Won’t meet him until I get home in a couple of hours but apparently he only has a slight aversion to noise but is otherwise really gentle and happy.

Sad story. Previous owners were an elderly couple who both had dementia. Two dogs confined to a shed and only fed semi-regularly. Today is apparently his first experience walking on grass.

More pics to follow!

23 Likes

He is GORGEOUS!
Well done, man.

2 Likes

I’ve had many thoughts about the perfect dog companion but truth be told I’ve always loved everyone I’ve had.

We now have two small fluffy dogs and they are also perfect in their own weird ways.

1 Like

Toy poodles or toy schnoodles are great. They dont shed fur.

My toy schnoodle was the best of 6 dogs I have had. It always waited at the door for when I came home.

When you own a small dog, you do get a few people with large dogs commenting that their dog could eat yours in one gulp.

I wonder about kelpies and similar in a city environment. We used to live next door to a family who had one, and even though their back yard was average size, the poor dog nearly went mad being confined in it all day. They walked her regularly but the dog just had too much energy. She’s getting a bit old now and has at last quietened down.

Purebred kelpies have an unreal amount of energy and stamina.

We’ve got a bitsa kelpie cross, fit as anything, loves running around, but when she tries to run around with a full kelpie she gets found out real quick.

Gorgeous!

If that pup doesn’t have German shepherd in it then I’m a monkeys uncle.

Our Wally came from a silimar situation, minus the dementia, tied up all day and hit around the head when he barked or misbehaved. Had never been to the beach.

The first few weeks as a soon as the gate opened he would make a bolt for freedom. Now even with an open gate he is happy to stay in the yard.

What a lucky dog to have found such a wonderful home. I’m sure you don’t need advice but …

Patience

Patience

Patience

And well done… every dog deserves a great home.

4 Likes

Apparently he’s x border collie, but agree, the looks like some shepherd in there. Though those photos make him look bigger than he is.

Poor bugger is very scrawny, but this dog is seriously the best bloke I’ve ever met. Loves a belly rub and a cuddle.

My 10 y.o. Has just settled on a name: RAZZ!

Been a big day.

20 Likes

At the moment this guy seems to be fairly placid and just keen to hang around us. I suspect that once he comes out of his shell and gets a decent food routine going he’ll be a bit more excitable.

Having said that, the only noise he’s made all day is a slight whimper at his own reflection!

Love the name!

While he’s nice and docile start the ‘reward behaviour’ regime. Will be well ingrained once his real self kicks in.

Also I love that nail polish on you @dingus

1 Like

I find it brings out the red in my eyes nicely.

2 Likes

Yep, In that photo he looks almost identical to my now long departed mate ding, and he was a Kelpie / Border cross. With the Kelpie markings & head shape, combined with the BC’s longer coat, they can really resemble something of a half size Shepherd at times.

Kids have shown great taste for the name too, it’s a ripper.

Hey - anyone seen a monkey’s uncle around these parts here?

1 Like

I was having a drink with one last night, … why do you ask?