The end of year cannon - who should be fired into the sun?

There is a difference between trading someone who wants to leave vs trading someone who was a bit blindsided by the request

Crows got away with trading Danger because they had both the Crouch brothers on list already developing. One was just about to blossom, the other they knew had extreme talent but kept getting injured.

They also were able to move Lyon on as well for that reason as a fringe mid, albeit they weren’t trying to make room for Gibbs.

We trade Hooker away we have no one to cover him. There is literally no one on our list that can play the role he does effectively, and that’s why he has had to move fwd.

We have fark all depth to be honest and lucky to have such a good injury run this year.

I never said anything like trading players rips the soul out of the club, I am not against trading out players to improve the position of the list. My statement was more in response to what htcman said in regards to him not supporting the players he supports the club and my point was there is no club without the players. If you take that to mean I don’t support trading then go for it.

They’ve underperformed, in my opinion, particulary in the latter half of the season.

And it’s not apples with apples. We’re not Adelaide.

EDIT… What Speedy said.

Danger traded Adelaide out and Geelong in.

They didn’t tell him to kindly fk off because we have a better offer.

Non-comparable.

1 Like

What actual good players did they try to trade as opposed to the player requesting a trade?

Crows may not win the flag (although I think they will) but they have been the best team this year and are a better team than the club they lost Danger to. Hawks won a flag just after losing buddy and cats the same after losing ablett.
I’m not so sure having these $1m+ superstars on the list = best chance of winning a flag. I don’t think there is an enormous difference between the output of martin or kelly vrs zerrett, and i think the extra cap space can more than offset the difference if it is used to create and maintain depth.

9 Likes

Wow, yes, that really is a blast from the past! How times change. :))

1 Like

Were you a different name back then?

Are we any chance of using our cap space to entice any of Andy McGraths Sandy team mates: Tarranto, Setterfield, Florent when out of contract. Or to create a trade.

IMO we should get some more high end talent on the list as I think our window won’t be for a few years yet.

Our premium list talent is just not battle hardened or anywhere near experienced enough for a tilt next year.

1 Like

Can’t disagree with that. Especially seeing as Kelly has re-signed.

I just wonder about the age of our list, the talent, and when we can next win a flag. Who is essential as an older player, and which players are more likely to contribute into thier late 20s/early 30s. Our best players are under 25. For some reason I think Hooker is super important as a 28 year old, maybe his flexibility, or his durability. Though I’d like to imagine we could recruit some high end talent under 25. What would that cost?.

And for the record, I wouldn’t want to trade Hurley now that Kelly is NA. I’m not convinced that Stringer can play as a mid full-time.

1 Like

My take on the broom for this year.

With Jobe, Stants, Hocking, Kelly and Eades gone, there are still 9 players out of contract and still up in the air with regards to 2018…

Below is a review of each one. 3 I feel will get new contracts, there are 5 who I think are still a chance and 1 who has had his chance I suspect.

Obviously a lot will depend who we can recruit and if they are a better prospect than what we already have.

So I believe there will be at least 6 spaces on our list next year.

Click on image below to see full table:

7 Likes

Nice work, but you have to click on the picture to see it all, as it cuts off some players.

Effectively you’re saying that other than our current 4 senior and 1 rookie list players that have gone, only Jerrett will also go. I agree Jerrett will go, I think Howlett will go, I think Morgan will drop to the rookie list, and I think Long is 50/50 to be delisted. I agree with Bird as being Watson’s main back-up, so I think they’ll keep him around on a 1 year contract. We need some depth. Draper will probably be promoted.

I agree on McKernan being decent, free depth. Wouldn’t surprise me if he left though. Stay a rookie.

If Long stayed, then if the above happened we would have 6 senior spots and 1 rookie spot free for the draft.

2 Likes

If you see my fine print above the table you will see we don’t really disagree at all.

If you are counting the slots opened by your predictions I would calculate you are indicating that there would be 5 Senior vacancies and 2 Rookie vacancies.

• If Long stays will need to be promoted after 3 years on rookie list

But there are still plenty of variables to be determined.

If Long was going to be good enough he should have shown it by now. Only thing that may keep him on is the number of delistings we have vs alleged shallowness of draft.

Nevertheless, we would be better off giving a chance to a mature ager who may give us more than Long has so far.

2 Likes

Agree completely on all points. I think Long and Howlett are gone and Morgan probably hangs on off the back of his last 6 VFL games and the skill set he potentially can offer.

1 Like

Hmm, I thought if we delisted Long we could re-draft him as a rookie despite already having the three years. I’d prefer that (if its allowed) than a senior spot if they decide to keep him.

But as @Albert_Thurgood said, Long has had a lot of time to show what he can do, and is still pretty meh at VFL level. I’d personally prefer to give a rookie slot to a mature aged long shot forward.

2 Likes

Maybe he can be re-rookied, I do suspect there is more romance than reality in wanting to keep Long, I wanted to keep Dempsey too, but concede that wouldn’t have been the best choice. Just hoping the coaches see something they want in him that they think they can get out of him.

I’m thinking Richmond’s success is reflecting the power of more small forwards who can provide extra run, we were benefiting from a similar plan augmented by 2 very mobile tall forwards to get the ball to, and one other beast who was hardly ever beaten in a marking contest and could bring the small forwards into play.

If Long can provide more depth in that role that would be useful.

Richmond’s success is also having a meh midfield transcended by having a pick #2 and a pick #3 to elevate it. Kind of like Geelong do with Dangerfield and Selwood (although later picks). We really really need Parish and McGrath to step up to those levels, which is unlikely to happen in 2017, but may later down the road.