The end of year cannon - who should be fired into the sun?

I see absolutely no reason to keep Jackson on the list, excluding charity or family connections.

McKernan staying would surprise. As if he was going to add value to the side, they’d have played him in the final. Surely though, another AFL club with poor KP options will give him a spot.

McNeice will depend on the doctors reports, but he didn’t get a good run at it this year, and costs us nothing. So he should stay if he is healthy.

Morgan and Long are young enough, if the club haven’t decided on them yet. But equally, both haven’t shown enough to stay.

Howlett got selected a hell of a lot more in 2017 than I thought he would. Might keep his spot.

Bird and Green, I have no idea what their contract status actually is, but I’d keep both. Equally, if another club wanted to put their hand up for them, I’d consider the trade. They’d have to pay a bit for Green, but Bird I think I’d move without argument as we don’t seem to like him much internally.

Draper must stay on the list, at all costs.

Other than that, everyone has a contract that I am aware of. It’ll depend on who comes asking and what they are offering.

I doubt if anyone would come asking for the above named players. They would hardly be on anyone’s dream list. Some may be useful as sweeteners in a trade though, especially Howlett if he wants to go back to WA.

1 Like

Green will be kept on another one year contract. Bird is too slow for AFL football and must be delisted.

1 Like

I’m getting confused with the mass de-listing some are proposing.
Isn’t Eades technically a de-listing for next year? - We’ve got 44 and 1 Cat B (McNiece)

So there are 5 going already.

Especially if we give up draft picks for Stringer and Saad, leaving us with a possible mid second round then fourth round and beyond picks there’s little point in cutting too hard.
Trading out for a draft pick changes the equation, but I haven’t heard of clubs queuing up for Bird, Howlett, Long, Morgan, Jerrett etc.
You can take a run at four late draft picks / Rookie picks, and hope for one or two gems from there, but any more is just wishful thinking, and the same posters who are calling for the mass cull will be lining up to chop their replacements.
Only need to / want to de-list one more player in this scenario.

So I’d expect it’ll partly come down to an intangible like “does McKernan want to run round as a rookie again?”, or do we need a steak knives sweetener to get a Stringer / Saad type deal done and keep more than one draft pick in the first three rounds?

4 Likes

FYI

1 Like

FWIW I think we can still change the balance of the list to a 38 senior 6 rookie.

So the available list spots could be split as

Senior : 2
Rookie : 3

I’m thinking that it is most likely that we will max out the rookie list spots this year.

Yes, you can substitute senior spots with rookie spots.

But you do need to either draft 3 players to the senior list, or promote a rookie instead.

Yep, I’m certain we have more delistings to come.

I think I started to see him use it in the last month and a bit. Would Not be hugely surprising if he had no confidence in stretching out his hammies.

I think it would be interesting to know how he looked at training; as you say he does have class and decent decision making. If he turns it on at training every week, and just needs to make that leap of confidence to doing the same in games…??

1 Like

Why would you want 6 rookies unless it’s for cap relief? Aren’t the rookie rules changing for 2018?

One year contract. Therefore short-term exposure in terms of list management.

Why hold on to blokes who aren’t getting a senior game anyway just to hold spots for next year. Instead get some kids in for a 12 month trial and see what happens.

4 Likes

1 year contract is more suitable for mature aged players from the VFL imo.

I wouldn’t want to put too many 18 year olds on a 1 year contract. As I think TAC is a big jump to VFL, not too mention TAC to AFL. Many of these kids have never played against men.

Use it on mature age players or kids… doesn’t worry me. Just cull the blokes that aren’t going to be taking us any further, and give somebody else a go.

Jerrett young? He’ll be 25 at Round 1 next year. He has had six years in the system. We have seen enough. I can’t see how he stays on the list.

7 Likes

Always?
Never?
Sometimes?
Which is it?

Long has shown a few brief glimpses, but that is all. l worried when l saw him pull out of a couple of contests, it appeared he lacked a bit of ticker, and l doubted then that he would bleed red & black.

Morgan? No comment as l haven’t seen in action.
Jerrett? Ability has fallen off, delist.
Bobcat? The pace of the game has passed him by, and he isn’t going to get any quicker, delist.
Bird? Either plays the Jobe role, or not at all. Depth more than anything else.
SMack? More depth, unless we can pick someone else up cheap.
Myers? Contracted but l would delist him also. He will probably be kept on the list as others will be cut before him, but should be used sparingly next season as back up depth. Others need to step up and take his place in the 22, looking at Langford, Stringer and Begley as likely suspects, even though l know they are not like for like replacements.

1 Like

I think he’s Zach’s lift home from training.

5 Likes

I cant see Myers going unless they know they have some absolute certain contested ball winners coming up via the VFL or by Trade/Draft.

The others you mentioned, Morgan, Jerrett, Bobcat and Smack, I don’t think you lose anything by letting them go and bringing others in to see what they can do. The potential positives out way the negatives.

Bird, I thought was hard done by. He played well in both. I wouldn’t be letting him go. At least he showed he was competitive.

If we get both Stringer and Smith, there isn’t much room for Morgan and Redman is there?

You’d also think Langford and Laverde are trade options if we’re getting in all three of Stringer, Smith and Saad.

There’s plenty of room on the list.

But not so much room in the best 22.

IMO who cares. let the players fight it out for game time.

1 Like

Smith’s arrival may cause Howlett’s demise.