The end of year cannon - who should be fired into the sun?

Yes my thoughts would be how does the starting 22 look like with the additions of S, S & S. Where realistically do the two L,s then sit , what then becomes a workable 22.

No chance Redman won’t be kept.
At this stage I’d say outs will be:
Watson, Kelly, Stanton, Hocking, J. Merrett, probably Howlett and Morgan who may be re-rookied. Bird also on the outer.

If we do manage to get Smith, Saad and Stringer via trade, IMO that’s really bad news for Morgan and J Merrett in particular. We currently have four list spots of which three would be eaten up by the traded in players, I think we have to take three players via the draft (including rookie upgrades?). Obviously Howlett and Bird would be holding their breath but I think they’ll be far better back up should the depth need to be tested than the other two.

2 Likes

I’d say Howletts arrival may cause Howletts demise.

I spoke to a freo recruiter who does south Australia, and he rates Redman, said if he got his shiz together could be anything…

4 Likes

Yeah some clubs recruiters IIRC were frothing over us getting him where we did.

We extended his contract very early days

This was a convo just after we drafted him.
Brad lloyd was also in this convo and agreed…
He was with freo at the time

Just checking in. Does Danihers tribute speech to Bird and Dea mean they won’t be at the club next year?
Is Dea contracted?

I thought it was just a shout out to his house mates.

4 Likes

+1 because Yestin Eases didn’t take his spot.

Oh well then my mistake.

Yep, remember posting on here at the time he was drafted that people I know that worked with him in the underage system reckons he was one of the most talented kids they had seen come through the SA ranks

1 Like

Watson Stanton Kelly Eades Hocking are already gone.
Howlett, Jerrett, Long and Morgan would have to be next…Bird would be on thin ice. Brown and Mckernan could be steak knives.

There is no doubt that depth is great at a footy club. But how much depth is too much? Not only from a player motivation perspective but also from a salary cap angle. How much of your cap can you have playing VFL each week? Guys like Ridley and Mutch are ideal as they are still developing and are on rookie contracts. Redman, Bird, Brown, Leuenberger, Francis, Hartley, Langford, Myers, Colyer, McKernan, Laverde, Green, Howlett. Surely there are dollar savings by either trading or delisting those that have been passed by either rookies (Begley) or recruits (three S’s). It may not seem like a lot but $50k here or there could all add up in the pursuit of a FA next year.

FB Saad Hooker Goddard
HB Gleeson Hurley McKenna
C McGrath Heppell Zaharakis
HF Smith Stewart Fantasia
FF Stringer Daniher Walla
R TBC Parish Zerrett

There is an awful lot to like about that starting 18. Not that it would line up that way if we are serious about playing Smith and Stringer through the midfield.

And who is on the pine?

2 Likes

Waiting for Jackets to show his full hand at the trade table. :astonished:

Agreed, the calls for a full cull on here are not thinking through the consequences, and the impact on picking up low draft picks in a weak draft versus next years better depth. But minimum have to delist 7 or more to cover trades plus draft plus rookie replacement. I think 8 will be the right number, one rookie over the minimum.

Plus the fact we must take 3 draft picks (low ones after we trade our first/second rounders out) and don’t have any obvious rookies to promote.

On the basis that Howlett got games and Bird didn’t, I think we will keep/delist in that order. And Morgan stays due to lack of opportunity, I also thought he showed a bit of promise late in the year, more than Long.

Long has had enough opportunity and will go for a new rookie option, plus has hit the 3 year cap.

So the list changes I reckon we’ll see are:
delist - Watson/Stanton/Hocking/Kelly/Jerrett/Bird. Long/Eades (rookies)
re-contract - Green/Baguley/Howlett/Morgan.
Re-rookie - McKernan (depth only, plus can play without upgrade next year), McNeice (free hit)
Trade in - Stringer/Smith/Saad
Draft - pick 46, 65, upgrade Draper (might as well do it this year rather than use a 5th round pick)
Rookie - 3 picks (replace Eades, Long, Draper)

Of course, if we have additional trade options then Howlett would be first on the chopping block, Morgan 2nd. And if Francis leaves or other go through trades then there may be less delistings.

We need to turn the screws now.

I think there is a chance Schache would be very interested in us. He will be in Victoria next year by the sound of it.

We need to let players go for unders to.ensure we get the players we want in.

I know they are good clubman but basically we need to tell Myers and Colyer to look for a new home. It’s harsh and they may not but we need to push.

Eagles will be interested. Im almost certain of that.

We basically need to give them away, reduce the cap and bring our 46 into pick 30.

Francis needs to be traded as well. Even if it is for Ports pick 29 this year and swapping our 3rd rounder for there 2nd next year.

That would give us 11, 28, 29, 30 and 1 first rounder and 2 second rounders next year.

Plenty of bargaining power to land Schache, Stringer, Smith and Saad. We are going to get Stringer and Smith cheap. Possibly Schache is available for unders as well. It’s ok to get unders for our players this year if it drastically improves our list.

With 3 S’s I think there was plenty of wriggle room and no need to sell cheap. But with 4 S’s we could set ourselves up for the next 7-8 years. You just get it done.

Very excited on Schache news to come. Think we are in with a massive chance. Think he is not the guy to enjoy the spotlight or pressure. Playing 2nd fiddle to Daniher would suit him I reckon

2 Likes