The end of year cannon - who should be fired into the sun?

He got a 12 month good behaviour bond but no idea what he did. The club and Yestin basically agreed to part ways and end his contract and he moved back to WA.

Am I missing something? Is their a reason that both WA sides are cutting deep into their lists in what is apparently a shallow draft.

Something in the water over there.

1 Like

Delisted free agent frenzy

1 Like

Yeah, not sure who they plan on filling their sides with.

Only two sides that think this draft is deep.

Maybe, and I don’t want to sound too radical, maybe they’ve just decided to cut the players they don’t think are up to it.

4 Likes

It’s also possible that having a new stadium will be enough to draw a crowd so now is the best time to start a full rebuild.

WCE have had about 5 legit retirements (and a bunch of cant-delist-me-if-I-retire-first)

New stadium, rebuild.
Noice one.

I’ve never known the eagles to do a rebuild.

Not complaining though. Would love it if we owned their ■■■■ for the next five years.

well suddenly we might be taking a lot more picks in the draft then we all thought a few days ago.
3 main list spots currently open (assuming Draper wasn’t upgraded) and now possibly Jerrett and Morgan leaving to leave 5 spots free.

Haven’t delved too deep into it this year so not sure if it’s true or not but I was told there is quite a few WA kids that will be in the draft late on and I was told the Eagles LM rates a few of them and they hope to grab a few more homegrown lads. With the increased amount of homesick kids perhaps they want to have a fair representation of WA lads in there

2 Likes

Yeah, fair enough.

I haven’t followed this draft year but most are saying it’s no good.

Eagles generally have fairly high retention rate but it couldn’t hurt to get more local boys.

Well, today’s announcements really shows that I have no idea what I am talking about. The players signed today (Jerrett, Long and Smack) were the players I thought most likely to receive “The Broom”. Morgan, the other player I would have nominated, left of his own accord after being offered another year.

I obviously have no idea and any opinion I give should be treated accordingly!

6 Likes

All depth players which you need

Jerrett - small fwd / wing
Long - HBF / wing
Smack - kpf / ruck

Worsfolds comments on Long and Jerrett in particular show they were in coaches thoughts to work on things, and comfortable with them to play a role if needed.

All the successful sides still have had experienced depth to call upon throughout season.

Jerrett was emergency numerous times & Long was on verge of selection before suspension late in season.

If Raz does a hammy and Jerrett comes in for 3wks to continue to add fwd pressure & kick a few and then back out again done his job.

2 Likes

Dont even think it.

2 Likes

Jerrett? Bewildering move! Guy is 25 was injury free most of the year and couldn’t even crack it onto the emergencies. I don’t want depth. I want either current 22 or future 22. Does anyone seriously think he falls in either category? Same argument for Smack.

6 Likes

With picks 48… and a few discarded DFAs on the market its all very speculative from this point and maybe no better than Long and Merret.

Was emergency numerous times IIRC

His VFL form was reasonably good.

1 Like

With the current list as is will we be looking to bring in any DFA?, or will we be looking to go to the draft?

I personally think we are now in a position that we are happy with and will go to the draft.

I think they’ll go into the draft intent on taking 2 draft picks in the national draft. I think they’ll have a pretty short list of who they are chasing, maybe as few as 4 or 5 guys.

When they get to their 3rd national draft pick they’ll assess, and pass on it if nobody is there that they want on the senior list.

They’ll then wander over to the rookie draft and fill the remaining spots.

Just my opinion.

1 Like