The end of year cannon - who should be fired into the sun?

Anyway bitn where is your best 22 for next year from our current list

Essendon 2019 Best 25
(excluding trades and Draft)

B. Saad Hooker Hurley
HB.Redman Francis McKenna
C. Zaharakis Langford McGrath
HF. Smith Daniher Fantasia
F. Tippa McKernan Stringer

Foll. Bellchambers Heppell Zerrett
Int. Myers Parish Guelfi Brown

Emerg. Baguley Gleeson Laverde

3 Likes

= Premiership

How does redman get in over Gleeson?

Gleeson is best 22 every day of the weeks and redman has played like 3 senior games his whole career

3 Likes

Maybe, but he has to prove to me first that he has recovered from that terrible injury that ruined his whole season.

My team is a tad tall, so Brown is possibly surplus.
I do like his flexibility though.

Too tall with Brown on the bench. I’d bring Gleeson in for him.
Actually, I’d have Brown ahead of McKernan, but it’s line ball.

2 Likes

Agree aboods, which I conceded in my reply to Alex.

1 Like

Gleeson has improved so much in 2018! The longer since he has played the stronger the perception that he is an automatic best 22.

5 Likes

Good team

Myers may be the one to go if we recruit an A grade midfielder

It’s not really perception. He’s been best 22 for the past few years. I think he deserves to come back in and then it’s up to redman/ Ridley to knock him out

3 Likes

I think there is room for 2 of the 3.

I like Saad off halfback so he can run, and Hooker to FF because his pace is gone but still a great mark.

1 Like

Debateable. Even in 2017 he was dropped for several weeks - Round 4 & 5 and 8, 9 & 10 if I remember correctly.

Yes, he consistently been a regular selection, but I reckon it was only his strong finish to the 2017 season, capped by a very good effort in that Sydney final, where he began to really fulfil his potential.

Remains to be seen whether he walks straight back into a settled backline. With Hooker, Hurley, Francis, Saad, McKenna lock-ins, and with likely hot competition from Ridley & Redman, plus possibly Ambrose, McNiece and even Dea, IMO Gleeson is not a guaranteed best 22 after missing a year.

1 Like

I agree, the end of 2017 was definitely his best footy, and I accept that he was dropped in that year, but the prior two years he basically played every game. He was sent to the magoos to improve his game in certain areas, he did, came back and played career best footy.

The only reason I dont think he should be a round one start is if there is a better player (on exposed form in 2018) that has pushed him out. If Deas/ Frangas form is so good that it keeps Gleeson out of the team, so be it. My response was due to someone putting Redman in the starting 22 over Gleeson, which I dont agree with, Redman hasnt played enough senior footy to prove that he deserves that spot… yet…

‘Marty-Party’

Instaban

Other instaban worthy nick names ‘AMT’ &
’Zaha’

2 Likes

What’s wrong with “Zaha”? It’s just a shortened version of his name

6 Likes

Not sure if we will see a big list turn over this year. We had lots of cameo appearances from the likes of Ridley, Redman and Francis to suggest the list is in a good place. The players who have spent 3 to 4 years as the club (Langford, Brown, McKernan, Laverde) also started to show the faith paid in them. The fact that we did so well without JD for the majority of the season speaks volumes.

2 Likes

Don’t get him started on “Hepp.”

1 Like

“Saa” good

I quite like how Tom Bellchamb goes about it.

2 Likes