The fixture is in - 2022

where the sh*t clubs belong unfortunately. sign of the times

Goodo, might be able to take the youngun along.

I don’t mind 4:40pm on a Sunday.

Good timeslot for TV viewing I reckon, winding down on a Sunday arvo.

2 Likes

3 consecutive home games at 4:40 on a Sunday at Marvel then. Can’t say I’m excited for those train rides home with Monday morning to look forward to. Guess it’s only fair with our form but I honestly wish the last game of the round was Sunday 3:20 and the 4:40 was moved to Friday night and allow choice of 2 games on TV like on Saturdays.

Don’t you just love the freezing cold blast of air coming off the bay right through the stadium ? At least it dilutes the COVID and Flu virus cocktail emanating from the crowd every time the call out “ball”

1 Like

Much warmer than the MCG.

Complaining about the cold while attending a sporting contest that’s only ever been played during the colder months is pretty naff…

If by winding down you mean turning the game off at half time, yeah I agree

1 Like
1 Like

Funny that.

At least we finally get some Sunday relief this month.

The only games that should start at 4.40 are ones played in WA and I mean 4.40 AEST. Then you can have a TV doubleheader. If that time slot goes unused, maybe play a 3:20 game in Adelaide.

Eastern states play (at home) early on Sunday, Western late.

Personally I’d like to see a suburban ground retrofitted into a third stadium and then play six games in Saturday. Four in the afternoon, two at night. Put it in the east and send Hawthorn and St Kilda there for their games against Port and GWS and such.

How? It’s north of the river, a good 3km to the bay?

I agree

So in the end we played 12 games against the top 8. Including 9 against the top 9 in the first 12 rounds, and all of the final top 4 in the first 6 weeks.

2 Likes

Times each team played the final top 8 teams in 2022 #godons

12 x Essendon, GWS, St.K

11 x Carl, Port, Melb, WCE

10 x GC, Haw, Nth, W. Bull

09 x Ade

08 x Bris, Coll, Freo, Gee, Syd

07 x Rich

As we know, the AFL fixture is crooked.
Laughably so compared to other leading sports around the world.

Give Tassie a team, and Darwin, and make it a 20 team comp. Everyone plays each other once, home and away alternating each year.
Final top ten.
First week
1, 2 bye.
3 v 6, 4 v 5, Q finals.
7 v 10, 8 v 9, Elimination.

Then revert to current top 8 format.

19 rounds of home and away and 5 weeks of finals.

Other option is 2 conferences, 4 divisions, like NFL, so you keep 2 blockbusters like derby’s, Ess v Coll games in the fixture, but still play everyone else once over a 2 year cycle. Gets messy and some supporters would miss out. Eg An Essendon supporter in Perth might only see there team once a year depending on division.
Positive is less travel for players.

4 Likes

For context, in a perfectly even draw finalists should play 9.1 games against Top 8 teams, and non-finalists should play 10.4.

As it turned out 6 finals teams played less than they should, and 4 non-finalists. Additionally, the non-finalists were under by on average 1.2 games whereas it was 0.6 for non-finalists.

So the draw was really skewed.

1 Like

roll on sunday 4.40 timeslots next year

2 Likes

Totally.
And for more context, it is supposedly to be skewed the other way. That is finalists are meant to play each other more, not less.

Its a big AFAIL, and needs to be rectified before anything else.
The essence of all sport is fairness and one of the main variables that can be controlled to create fairness is the fixture.
What is the point of drafts, salary caps, the concept of ‘home’ and ‘away’ games, if the fixture is demonstrably unfair every year?

1 Like

I am not sure of their algorithm, or whether Gillon says “give Richmond an easy go, the G will be a sellout for any final they play in”

07 x Rich

It seemed to me it was a bit like a switch, you get in the finals the previous year and we will make it harder for you the next and vice versa it virtually guarantees that middle range clubs get into finals every other year, and each following year they drop out. Well thats what appeasrs to happen to us, but you have to analyse all teams.