Bring the The GOOD Stuff Thread

+1 to this. Bought a Bosch washing machine on the advice of a washing machine repair guy who said he’d worked on Bosch’s 3 times in a 20+ year career.

Slimmest wallet in the world. Think it’s made of similar material to motorcycle clothing, so it’s water proof, tear proof.

We bought a fridge from Harvey Norman and didn’t get the hard sell on an extended warranty. Are those days over?

now that you mention it, same deal with our dishwasher last week at Hardly Normal. Not one word spoken of the extended warranty. maybe people know the con is real?

Sales guy was really polite but … too polite, as if they rehearse avoiding to say all the exact things people hate.

there is a lot of that. and the constant steering to the brands they clearly make more commission on. or the old, show them the markup on the screen so i can’t discount any further trcik.

“i have this one at home!” no you don’t…

anyway, i digress. back to GOOD SHEET

As someone who spends large periods of time away from home and also who likes to read a lot, my electronic book (Kobo) is probably the single best piece of technology I have purchased, and I do like tech, and also like to buy things. They are seriously good for reading, books are cheap (or free) and I currently have over 4000 books on mine with new additions coming regularly. Even the reading style is very similar to reading a normal book. I still love my real books, but when travelling and restricted for space, my Kobo wins hands down. Also better than trying to read back lit phones/ipads/tablets etc. far less eyestrain.

2 Likes

I’m giving my Kindle a hiding on this trip…largely for the same reasons you mention.

I have my iPad and iPhone with me too, but use he Kindle for books.

Agreed, kindle paperwhite has been one of the best presents i’ve ever received.

However it seems to lag quite a bit if theres more than 50 books on it. does the kobo experience this?

I should add something so I’m giving the oral b electric toothbrush a vote. Just so much better than a manual brush. Feel so clean.

2 Likes

Must say I have never really noticed lag on my Kobo. Stor all my books on MicroSD though, don’t know if Kindle allows that, never looked at them. It does freeze up occasionally requiring a restart, done it about 5 times in the last 6 years.

Yep, love my electric toothbrush, as much as the 55" LED telly I spontaneously bought at the same time.

2 Likes

That’s some shopping trip!

Only downside i’ve found is the charger is 240v. Means you need something else for travel (longer than a week anyway).

The first time you brush your teeth with a decent electric brush you realise just how dirty they’ve been your whole life.

Tell me more about the Kobo things - are they better than Kindle? Looking to grab one for my partner. Is it going to be something that she spends crap loads on for books etc?

1 Like

I have never owned a Kindle but I believe they are much the same. Others with a kindle may be able to correct me but I believe the biggest difference is that Kindle only reads .mobi and pdf files while Kobo reads .epub, .mobi and pdf files. Kindle and Kobo both have libraries that you can buy books from, and there are plenty of free books available on the net as well as plenty from less reputable sources if you take my drift.

1 Like

.mobi ,azw*. .rtf .pdf among others. i think it handles epub. i use calibre for all my ebook management and it can convert on the fly so i don’t notice.

My vacuum as recommended above arrived today and it does a really really good job. I was surprised. Super easy to setup now that its all in English as well (except the voice on the robot is still in Mandarin). Clever too. You get sort of mesmerised as it figures out how to get out from under the dining table while making sure it gets all the spots.

We have wooden floors so its important that a robot cleaner won’t scratch them.

There were good reports about the Samsung but people said it did scratch wooden floors.

How does that one perform in this respect?

I’m gonna give these guys a plug.

Flat tyre on Sunday morning.
Urgh. Gonna have to put on the spare, and I should really get two new tyres because the back two were getting old.
And bugger, K-Mart Auto is closed on a Sunday. Where else can I go? Googling…

Rang these guys.
Mooroolbark (just barely Melbourne), no problem.
Sunday, no problem.
Arrived early, after texting first to check that was okay.
Came to my house, put on and rotated the tyres. Painted them. I’d left some new hubcaps out next to the car and planned to replace them after he left. He did that without asking.
And the price was the same as I’d seen the tyres costed at online, on their own. So…no labour.

Absolutely rapt, and I got out of putting on the spare.

4 Likes

I’ve only got tiles and carpets. Can’t help you there.