The Great John Coleman

Afternoon all. Just doing some studying at the Local Library at Hastings and saw John Coleman’s Statue and History outside. Go past it all the time but thought you’d like to see some photo’s of it - apologies to all about the bogan who graffitied it - effing Dog.

My Dear old Dad still says he is the best PLAYER, not just Full Forward, he has seen.

32 Likes

No plaque outside his childhood home in Gipps St, Port Fairy, although Gregor McCasker has met with local history buffs about having one.

@Reboot and @Darli were treated to the Coleman heritage tour a couple of months back.

We could do with him

3 Likes

Apparently the statue was paid for by a local.

1 Like

We did!

It was awesome!

1 Like

Several Cap…listed on the photo that has been hit a ****head Graffiti Vandal

Who is the Fitzroy player getting humiliated in the photograph/statue?

Humiliated is pretty harsh. For every hero, you need someone to play the role of the heel.

How close is that Fitzroy guernsey to being an FCfc guernsey

1 Like

Blooos and Roys, the closest 2 clubs have ever been in terms of their kits, and even then there was never a clash.

2 Likes

And the wrong club was folded.

10 Likes

using Great in thread title is pleonastic

3 Likes

I heard John Coleman went into the football and kicked all the goals in the football and they had to close the football

4 Likes

Who?

1 Like

Just missing a White Russian.

5 Likes

To OP: Your dear old Dad is correct.

The mighty JC set records that will never be beaten. I have claimed that many times on Blitz and never been challenged. Which is in itself a rarity on Blitz.

3 Likes

LIKE.

This sounds like a job for @Henry_s_Angry_Pills

4 Likes

Great ‘Open Mike’ on FOX. John Coleman, the Legend!

2 Likes

Great to watch, but finished abruptly. Could have been much longer.
It is sad there isn’t much footage of our great game before TV arrived.
Should celebrate our heroes of yesteryear a lot, lot more. Not just Ch7 footage.

1 Like

Jono Brown comes across as a bit of a meat head but loved the story about him tracking down Coleman’s daughter to let her know what an honour it was to win the medal. Was staggered to hear that no other players had done likewise

9 Likes