The Great Round 1 team discussion

We certainly were a 5 goal worse a team than Geelong.

It will be a measure of improvement if we win or strike closer than that.(assuming the cats play to their potential)

WHERES THE TEAM???

1 game, and in particular a Rd.1 game is no measure at all.
Look at what the Crows did to Gee Rd.1 last year.

We need 6 rounds minimum before any assessments of possible improvement.

1 Like

If Tex didnā€™t play vs Saints, he wonā€™t play Rd 1

5 Likes

I think Martin is a real chance to play round 1. Maybe Cox could be the one to make wayā€¦not sureā€¦I wonder if Tex gets a game in the VFL on Friday? If he did and he tore it up I wonder if the coaches would also consider putting him in. I agree that our forward line severely lacks the pace and energy that I think heā€™s bringā€¦caveat being he obviously is working hard on his endurance/fitness!

Tex playing round 1 is wishful thinking at best imo.

2 Likes

1,000,000%

Devā€™s running on the fumes of his BnF year

I donā€™t think they are competing for the same spot thoughā€¦.

3 Likes

If you havenā€™t picked Ridley, you are either on medication or need to be.

Plenty of good choices to be made, l donā€™t want Smith or Ham anywhere near the team for R 1.

4 Likes

Ok

Edit assuming both sides play to their known potential.

Which often doesnā€™t happen round 1 :joy:

1 Like

Smith will be in

He leads the team for pressure acts most games which would be considered playing his role in the fwd line

Aside from that he is one of our leaders even if not in LG anymore and with such a young inexperienced fwd line his experience is required

Would we like him to hit the scoreboard more, absolutely.

8 Likes

His kicks fall short though speedy

And he abuses umpires

1 Like

Always interesting to know what we are up against.

Apparently the situation at the Cats is that Rohan, Menegola, Miers and Simpson are all certain to miss round 1.

Henry, Duncan, Ceglar and Oā€™Connor are 50/50.

6 Likes

This is the key point for me.

With Walla out in particular Smith probably becomes more important for forward defensive pressure.

Weā€™d all love to see Tex play in the seniors asap, I really just want to see how he goes over the course of a full-length game first (was hoping heā€™d get a full game against the Saints tbh).

This is particularly important if thereā€™s a query around his fitness, which can be easily glossed over in a quarter or two of a praccy/VFL game.

If he plays well in a full VFL game this weekend, then itā€™s game on for round one.

2 Likes

Only way Tex gets a game I feel is if we play shorter in fwd line

Heā€™s not going to be played ahead of Snelling, Smith or Perkins (whose been super).

And if we stick to Wright, Jones, Baldwin & Stringer (post CBā€™s) then thatā€™s the fwd 7 group all sorted.

If Stringer was playing 3rd tall on his return then room to add Tex in. Baldwin misses then.

I know he wonā€™t be played ahead of smith but, he should be.

1 Like