The Impossible Dream - wakey, wakey! - will we finish 9,10, 11 or 12th? How will the finals unfold?... Ladder predictor in OP

While I think that post was unnecessarily negative, I am starting to think GC inflicting a record loss on Geelong is looking less likely, and we might struggle to make finals from here.

EDIT: I’ve found a slightly more likely alternative (still involves 3 matches being decided by > 20 goals):

Clutching at straws still, but a slightly more feasible scenario is the Demons being blown out of the water by the Eagles and the Giants and us blowing Port out of the water so we could push those undeserving Dees out on percentage:

W L D %
1. Richmond 18 4 0 139.9%
2. West Coast 17 5 0 132.8%
3. Collingwood 15 7 0 122.1%
4. Sydney 15 7 0 111.3%
5. GWS 14 7 1 125.3%
6. Hawthorn 14 8 0 118.0%
7. Geelong 13 9 0 128.7%
8. Essendon 12 10 0 112.0%
9. Melbourne 12 10 0 111.9%
10. North Melbourne 12 10 0 107.7%
11. Adelaide 12 10 0 101.8%
12. Port Adelaide 12 10 0 100.5%
13. Western Bulldogs 8 14 0 76.5%
14. Fremantle 8 14 0 75.2%
15. Brisbane Lions 5 17 0 88.9%
16. St Kilda 4 17 1 75.5%
17. Gold Coast 4 18 0 61.3%
18. Carlton 2 20 0 61.0%
2 Likes

To show how close things have been this year I have borrowed this post from the PA make Kochie cry thread:

Yes, I tried the same thing, it is also around the margin, a 46 point win by us which would give us the same number of wins and percentage as we had last year and finished 7th.

Ironically this time Melbourne will get to glide into the 8 on percentage even if they lose their last 3 matches for the year and have beaten no one in the 8, where we can still finish level on games with them, having beaten 4 of the top 8 and maybe 2 of the top 4 and finishing between 9th and 12th.

To show what a strange season it is, Swans will make the top 4 if they beat the Hawks at the SCG next week and two days ago we were talking about us slipping in ahead of them on percentage into the 8.

A crazy year where a poor game or simply how the AFL have rigged the draft can completely change the outcome.

Stop Carey. It’s over.

I checked just now - even Sportsbet aren’t taking bets on Essendon any more. You know it’s well over when even a bookmaker won’t take your money.

1 Like

Despite one overly optimistic post above the most recent one prior to this will tell you I agree, it’s not happening.

But after having being rubbished for setting up this thread in the first place, 1605 posts later, it has been fun to dream, and we came a lot closer than anyone would have thought when I started it back in June after we beat the Eagles away.

3 Likes

Jeez, Port really ■■■■ the bed, didn’t they? Lost 4 of the last 5, all winnable games. Makes me happy.

5 Likes

I give bltn a lot of credit for the above post, was pretty spot on, was the first post (number 10 back on June 25) to really look at where we stood with the run home.

I was more convinced we needed 14 wins to make it.

1 Like

I love the thread mate, and have been an enthusiastic participant. It’s been fun.

5 Likes

Indeed! Have loved following and participating in this thread. Shame it’s not got a week to run but it has been a pleasant surprise we’ve been able to take it this deep into the season after our poor start.

6 Likes

This threads just a disguise for the forest from the trees nerds.

3 Likes

We’ve been only a game out of the 8 for basically the last 5-6 weeks. If you don’t have fun speculating about us maybe making the 8 when we’re only 1 game out, then honestly, why even follow football?

7 Likes

This years top 4 is the most pathetic, least talented in AFL/VFL history.

Put them up against the top 4 of 2000, 2010 etc and they would each lose by 100+ points.

AFL is absolute junk standard in 2018.

7 Likes

Thank the AFL’s equalisation program for that.

I think it’s more due to two factors:

1 - Gold Coast and GWS - an extra 80 odd players stretches the talent pool.

2 - the amount of running required in the game has squeezed out actual footballers and replaced them with athletes that can’t kick.

2 Likes

just insolve carlton and st kilda and be done with it.

So @bltn when you starting the 2019 thread. Or hoping we don’t need it.

I’ll add my voice to the “it’s been great” to have this thread the past few months.

4 Likes

Nah, it’s @SCarey’s thread, though I’ve been a wonderful contributor !

5 Likes

@Heffsgirl

You know it’s happening…

Get farked

6 Likes

Would prefer anyone but Richmond winning, including Cwood.

1 Like