The Inevitable Rebuild

At this rate we are down an early 2nd rounder and 3rd rounder for a late 2nd rounder

Yeah, based on GWS, our second rounder could end up being 34-36 instead of 21-24. Still, Dev Smith was a steal in any event.

1 Like

We are, but bringing in Saad, Smith and PACKAGE is definitely not one of our pressing problems.

2 Likes

Yep, considering what we brought in, we did very friggin well to have a second rounder at all next year.

1 Like

AGreed. I think we got those three for unders overall and they are a safer bet than 3 speculators, even in a strong draft.

They’re all in a good age bracket, too.

2 Likes

I’m sure there is more but the clear one that sticks out in my mind is Steinberg over Parker.

3 Likes

Yep, the saga will simply be the excuse we roll out for the next decade rather that have the actual re-build we need.

1 Like

I think it’s a bit of an insight. Other clubs strategic docs are looked at when these things are written. Clearly it was deliberately left off when it’s almost convention to list ‘Premierships’ - so why did we not include it as well?

Morgan when every draft watcher rated him a rookie chance. Most had us taking Matheison, Balic or Bonner.

1 Like

Even as this worst case scenario we still come put way ahead with Smith playing the way he is. 12 pock downgrade for our best performing player… nice

Woosha is about to come out and say this is the best playing list he has ever had, then we miss finals but win the flag next year and Mr’s Woosha becomes infamous.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter, disco would burn it anyway

Hird’s regime? It was Hird’s regime now, was it?

He made mistakes, he played a role, he deserved criticism (not as much as he received). That’s it.

As for his coaching record, his tenure was marred by a hugely distracting off field scandal. Never given a proper run at it.

7 Likes

The rebuild isn’t inevitable, but I don’t quite understand why. If the drug saga taught us anything is that we as supporters/members aren’t going anywhere so I doubt an obvious rebuild would break us. I would assume that’s what has prevented a rebuild, the worry that we’ll lose $$$ but I really don’t think that should be a concern.

I love it that Hird himself has publicly taken more responsibility than some supporters will allow him to. He ■■■■■■ up. He wasn’t on his Pat Malone. The whole club ■■■■■■ up.

3 Likes

Yeeeaaahhh…I agree with that. How much responsibility Hird should take is subjective and people will make up their own mind on that.

Where I disagree is your use of the expression, ‘Hird’s regime.’

Collingwood picked up sam Murray? one of their reserves players who hadn’t played a game and he walked into their senior team and playing well.

And while I’m at it, can we f**kin’ dispense with the whole ‘we need to bottom out fully to gain high draft picks’ crap?

High draft picks don’t mean a lot.

Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn have been consistently successful for a decade without needing to bottom out. Adelaide made the grand final last year without a single top ten pick (to be fair, Matt Crouch probably would have been a top ten pick if it weren’t for the mini draft of 2012).

Meanwhile, Gold Coast, Carlton and the Dees (may come good) have been garbage despite an abundance of highly rated junior talent.

What’s between the players ears, their motivation to relentlessly bust their arses for the club, an OCD like approach to doing the right thing by each other - that’s the most important factor to winning a flag.

3 Likes

For a few years I had been thinking that 2019 was a good opportunity for us in terms of age and experience of the list.

27-30+
Hooker is 31, Hurley 29, Heppel 27, Colyer 28, Zaharakis 29, Ambrose 27, Tippa 28, TBell 30, Myers 30

23-26
Daniher 25, Fantasia 24, Smith 24, Stringer 24, Merret 24, Saad 24, Gleeson 25, Mckenna 23, Laverde 23, Green 26, Hartley 26, Dea 26

20-23
Parish 22, Redman 22, Francis 22, Langford 22, McGrath 20, Begley 20, Mutch 20, Ridley 20, Clarke 21, Draper 20, Guelfi 22

However I had expected Laverde, Redman, Francis and Langford to be established and developed players which at this stage looks overly optimistic. The key concerns from 2020 on is the decline/loss of Hooker and Hurley although based on Hurley new non defender type role his loss may not have a big an impact on our list as I had thought. We had the opportunity of trading Hooker out for pick 2 and we didn’t, both of them will finish their careers with us. We need to groom at least another key back to take Hookers role and we need contested mids that can kick, run and defend preferably in the 22-26 age bracket.

2 Likes

And development, which I think we have really sucked at for a long time.

1 Like