The Inevitable Rebuild

Yep! Of course the media have re-written Hird’s coaching ability many times over, but us fans will never forget. 2011 - took a Knightmare of a side, and within a year had them playing finals (from 14th to 8th). Sure it was an embarrassing end losing to FarkCarlton by so much, but it was just one really bad patch of 20 mins in the 2nd quarter that blew that game open.
2012 - Well started brilliantly and still in the top 4 after R14, before the Robinson/Dank physical and biochemical experimentations caught up with the side, with one of the worst injury rates in AFL history.
2013 - Yes, could’ve nearly taken top spot in R18, if we’d beaten the Hawks by 4-5 goals that fateful night (when Evans collapsed in the rooms etc.) - and then the rumour hit the club after someone in AFL House was told not to put any Essendon related imagery in the finals promotional materials. It was all over by then.
2015 - No pre-season for many of the players, yet still very much in finals contention after R9 (out of the 8 on %), until those close losses through R5-8 and the WADA/CAS appeal caught up with them.

3 Likes

Can we get Ziggy in for the internal review.

1 Like

Isn’t ziggy ceo of RMIT and aren’t we in a collaborative partnership with them?

Perfect

We have to suck up to him and say thanks for helping us eat ■■■■ five years ago.

“…to create a disturbing picture of a game style experimental environment never adequately controlled or challenged or documented within the Club in the period under review.”. (Surely someone can come up with something better than me!)

2 Likes

I think we need to create a succession plan with Carcella as our future head coach.
I like the idea of hird coming back but i think that would remind the players of the saga.

I’m still going to stick to my deeply unpopular comment last night of giving Worsfold until mid next year to sort this mess out (for various reasons and precedents I raised with the comment) - but then yes if no notable improvement by R10-11 next year, with us clearly entrenched in the ‘eight’, I’ve always had the idea of Caracella in the back of my mind. Hird as a assistant I think would be great. There aren’t many of the “34” left, and assuming another couple are moved on at seasons end, it probably only leaves Hooker, Hurley, Colyer, BellC and Heppell left. And they are the sort of unflappable guys who they probably would love seeing Hird back in some official capacity. Caracella and Hird were premiership teammates, and that surely would help.

I honesty think there are too many assistants and a couple should be moved on and NOT replaced. Too many different messages going to the playing group obviously.

They played better when we were in the middle of it.

And honestly, at this point, if they are too fragile to be reminded of it then they can ■■■■ off out of the way of success.

Or even pride. I’d settle for an ounce of that right now.

2 Likes

Weren’t either West Coast &/or St.Kilda super keen about 3 years ago, with a first round pick (not sure it was #2 - I thought more like #6 or #7).

Suggestions of Hird coming back are fanciful.

Club has moved on and so it should.

6 Likes

Can you please send this to every possible person at EFC. Like now

Then re send it tomorrow

And the day after

1 Like

It was about 6 years ago and it was 2 picks in the 20’s

Yes - well played Nocturnal. A lot of (very good) thought gone into your post. Well done. I’m really trying hard to find something to disagree with (for the sake of discussion), and I can’t really.

The only (half) disagreement I have is that I doubt we’d actually be able to move Myers and Colyer on! Maybe a 3rd rounder for both. Disappointing because both have been cruelled by injury and the game has passed them by. Colyer was in career-best form a couple of seasons back, but can’t see him coming back now. His disposal and option selection is still average and we have too many like that as it is!

Keep going I’m almost there

Delist: Myers, Leuernberger, Baguley, Colyer, McKernan, either Brown or Hartley, J Merrett, Dea

(Potentially) trade: Hooker, Zaharakis

Bring in via trade/FA: ready made ruckman, 24-26 y/old inside mid (or 2), depending on Hooker a cheap older (28+) KPD to hold the fort until Francis or Zerk-Thatcher take their spot

Draft: mids, mids and more mids

I think most of our problems extend past our playing personnel but this is what I would do to the playing list.
A few of the delist guys might get another year otherwise that’d be a massive turnover. I’d keep Looey, Colyer and Bags (as a defensive forward; Saad and McKenna have the small defensive spots sewn up) if needed

Just curious what would you expect in return for Hooker or Zaharakis?

Ziggy is Chancellor of RMIT, not hands on vice chancellor

All i know is his graduation speeches are ■■■■.

The sooner we do it the better.