The Inevitable Rebuild

Pls send it to my employer. One of our “strategies” this year is to sign a specific contract with a specific customer.

The stupidity of it is why I’m being such a ■■■■■■■ pedant in this thread.

1 Like

Farkcarlton have started a rebuild 2 years ahead of us. We are farked

Strategic plan should be to enforce a complete GOOD BLOKE player squad by 2020

2 Likes

tactics involve: ensuring they’re from a good family.

3 Likes

I reckon if you spoke to any experienced player or coach at any decent level they’d tell you this was 100% the absolute opposite of the truth.

Predictability - of where your teammate is, where he’s going to go, what decision he’s going to make - is what any game plan is based on.

2 Likes

Appreciate you taking the time to come on the boards and respond.

I am, personally, a little worried that Simon Madden doesn’t really understand planning or goal setting. You absolutely should and must ALWAYS be ‘planning’ to win a premiership. Doesn’t always mean the plan will go right or happen… but winning premierships simply must be the plan. I understand the semantics but strongly disagree with the sentiment. You must plan for success, expect success and demand success.

Absolutely NOTHING on that strategic document will help this club with its next AFL premiership. Nothing. Look at the strategic messages of EVERY single successful club and they are the same. Yes the focus ‘off field’ is for partnerships, money etc etc… but it must ALWAYS be related back to on field progress. If you truly want to be successful you must understand and value WHAT success is and HOW the achievement of that goal will help the ultimate success.

So, for a small example, why do we want to strengthen industry ties? So that we create a good environment to lure free agents? So that we have more blockbuster games to entice players to stay? To ensure we are a league leader and thus drive more finances to put back into player development? WHY will strengthening industry ties make us a more successful club where it counts, ie ON field?!

I realise you sit on the board, and I appreciate your position, but I think the board ‘in general’ don’t understand success and they don’t understand how to plan and deliver success and hence why you re-sign a non-demanded coach such as Woosha in week 1 (and in reality well before that) instead of waiting to see if he has us on the right path.

I would hope that every single board member has an honest look at themselves and the club and each other. Start asking WHY record membership is important, WHY do we need money? What is the purpose of that money? So that we can say we are a ‘big club’ or so that we can have more coaches, equipment? Understand the core purpose for our existence and the answers should present themselves.

Having money can not buy you a premiership in modern AFL. We need to become the best at what we do. We need the best coaching team. The best facilities. The best players. The best game plan. The best fitness staff. The best opposition analysis. The best VFL team (maybe not winning but developing exactly the kind of players we need/want in AFL). The best training program. The best running patterns. The best analytics.

Put simply we need to find a way to be the best. That starts with one line that starts EVERY single mission statement, strategic purpose or directions document: “Our purpose is to win AFL premierships”

3 Likes

Win two consecutive quarters?

Surely there comes a time with these players where they relaise

“we are sick and tired of being inconsistent”
“we are sick and tired of being mediocre”

When,when,when will the penny drop?

Can we workshop this a little?

Engage in ‘good bloke’ best practices

1 Like

They started theirs 25 years ago.

We were probably hit harder for salary cap transgressions than Carlton, but recovered fairly quickly. Carlton did not.

It’s funny how Carlton fans still blame thier draft penalties that happend 20 years ago as the reason why they are still crap

3 Likes

It was 2002 and at the time there were estimates that it would take 5 years to recover.

Always tell Carlton fans that the penalties Essendon copped for the Saga make thier draft sanctions look like a wet lettuce slap.

Tippa is 25 not 28.
Still older than I thought.

The club still takes us the fans for granted.

As long as they keep getting paid better than any of us, why should they worry?

1 Like

That’s where they need to be dropped back to the VFL so that they come under far more scrutiny.

At the moment it’s easy to hide when the whole side is not performing.

To date I think only Langford and Hartley have been omitted.

You forgot:
Make sure the number of Aboriginal players on our list is the lowest in the afl.

That’s a carry over from the white-Essendon recruiting policy which began about 2011.