The lost premiership years circa 1994 to 2001

2001 wasn’t helped by Brisbane players all using IV drips at half time. They looked as fresh as daisies in the last quarter whilst we were out on our feet not long after half time.
96 we would’ve got a touch up in the GF IMO.
99 was the one that got away and was a massive choke from us against Fark Carlton

1 Like

After 93 with a young side i agree there would have been an expectation we would have snagged another one or two but it took another 7 years which was a let down.

The only one i think can be put down as one individual loss which cost us a flag was 99 prelim, i think we would have beaten north. The other years 95, 96 we didn’t even finish top 2 after the h&a season.

My brother-in-law is Roos member and he is convinced that Essendon would have won in '99, havig soundly beaten NM during the season.

I wasn’t old enough in 96, but it would appear that while we might have been stiff to lose the prelim, we wouldn’t have beaten North, especially with our injuries.

99 still hurts, because we still haven’t got it back, we were clearly the best side, even without Hird and Lucas. 01 we were beaten by a better team on the day, I have no real issue with that one.

But you’re right, all that time and only 1 flag with a good side is a bit disappointing.

1996 rubbed it in as we thrashed Norf to get into the reserves grand final and then in the rematch we got screwed by injury (notably, Lloyd’s busted spleen) and selection rules.

Lost two premierships, not one.

If we got passed Geelong in the 95 prelim (which i doubt we would have they made Richmond look like right pelicans) we would’ve lost a GF to FC. No thank you.

North would have torn us apart 96.

Only one that was out and out thrown away was 99

2 Likes

Why does no one talk about 90?

There’s no way we would have beaten North in '96, even if we didn’t sustain those injuries in the Prelim.
They had our number over that period of time, and were primed to win the Flag.

Although '99 was North’s redemption year after their choke against the Crows in '98, we definitely had a good chance to take the Flag against them that year.
Our 2 H&A wins against them during the year illustrating this, even without Hird and Lucas.
Unfortunately, we took the Blues lightly in the Prelim and found ourselves 4 goals down early.
That 3rd qtr still haunts me.
If I’ve ever seen a 10 goal qtr, that was it.
Our domination was such, but we didn’t quite finish the work, and gave Carlton a sniff at 3qtr time, especially when they got the last of the 3rd qtr.
Kouta then produced 1 of the great Finals quarters of all time (no hyperbole) to take the game away from us.

2001… well, Brisbane were the better side by the end of the year.
That doesn’t automatically equal victory, however.
We had experience, we knew how to win, we had Finals hardened players.
A few minutes before half time we held a 20pt lead, if Simon Black doesn’t find Lynch with a clever round the corner short pass, and we convert a couple of chances during our early domination in the 3rd, perhaps we break them ?

All things being equal, we came out 1 Flag short during the period you mention.
If absolutely everything had have gone our way, we threepeat 99-01.

Oh well…that’s life :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Post Reported !

5 Likes

Think we played them once in 96. ■■■■■■ down all day and they got up by 2 or 3 goals.

I meant that whole period of 93-98.
Not sure if we took the honours once against them over those years ?
Even the year we took the Flag in 93 they scorched us in the last qtr of our H&A game.

2 Likes

Looked it up was pretty even

93 North
94 Us
95 North
96 North
97 Us
98 North
99 Us

1 Like

Hmm, okay I’m surprised we won twice against them in that block.
Really felt like they had the wood over us.

How weird was 1997?
Win four of our first six.
Not behd. Sitting third on the ladder.

Win two of the next twelve, taking us all the way down to second last.

Win three of the remaining four.
Beating Brisbane (eighth), Geelong (finished second on percentage), and Adelaide (Premiers).

Wuwuwu-wicky-wuuuuuTF?

Hird went down in the Geelong game in round 4. Killed our season. His first few games that season were god like.

25 Disposals and 4 goals against FC in round 1

1 Like

One of the best games ever was a win against them in that time.

I said 93-98 !

1 Like

Carey Lloyd game was 99

1 Like

My bad. No idea why i chucked 99 in there

1 Like

lol.
So you did.
Close!

1 Like