The MCG fence

No not the inside one.

Construction has commenced on the perimeter of the MCG forecourt, of a security fence in preparation for the upcoming cricket matches…and the likely use come football season.

This fence will also have entry points, where much stricter bag searching and security wanding of patrons heading in will take place.

For me I think this should have been made permanent after the Commonwealth Games a decade ago now. Not a single major incident occurred at the MCG when such measures were in place then.

Remind me of a single major incident happening when such measures weren’t there, Pazza…

Be alarmed. The terrorists politicians have won.

I’ll still be packing heat.

Seriously, it will just move the people to a different spot. It’s not as though you can’t launch a bomb there instead (hi ASIO). Place will be a nightmare now.
MCC obviously has too much $$$

DJR is spot on…any potential terrorists have won. This is a show of fear.

Clothes will be illegal soon so we can see everything your hiding (well, just about anything)…

Went to the Boxing Day test a few years back with an Indian mate (among others). Around the first drinks break, he pulled a loaf of bread out, a butter knife, and a glass jar of jam out of his backpack. I said mate, how the f**k did you get those in here?

He laughed and in the best Australian accent he could muster said “■■■■■■ Indians mate!”

Turns out he’d just picked the security line that had an Indian working, who let him through without checking his bag. Very funny. Also, he’s one of the most racist people towards his own people that I’ve ever met. Hated Zaheer Khan because “he’s a Khan, and fk the Khans", and he hated the elderly turban wearing Indians. Any time they were shown on the big screen, he would say: "■■■■■■ f*ing Singhs”

its to keep the rabbits out… too many rabbits…

It is a bizarre move unless they actually get all of the checkers to, like, check. Which will be hugely unpopular.

Apparently a bomb in a packed security queue is acceptable as long as the explosion is far enough away from the MCG façade.

On a serious note, how the hell do they expect up to 100,000 people to evacuate the inside area of the ring of steel quickly and safely if there is an incident inside it? Hillsborough anyone?

On a serious note, how the hell do they expect up to 100,000 people to evacuate the inside area of the ring of steel quickly and safely if there is an incident inside it? Hillsborough anyone?

Yeah, they should just hold these game-thingies in open fields.
Or, have ejecting, then drop-down stands.

Went to the Boxing Day test a few years back with an Indian mate (among others). Around the first drinks break, he pulled a loaf of bread out, a butter knife, and a glass jar of jam out of his backpack. I said mate, how the f**k did you get those in here?

He laughed and in the best Australian accent he could muster said “■■■■■■ Indians mate!”

Turns out he’d just picked the security line that had an Indian working, who let him through without checking his bag. Very funny. Also, he’s one of the most racist people towards his own people that I’ve ever met. Hated Zaheer Khan because “he’s a Khan, and fk the Khans", and he hated the elderly turban wearing Indians. Any time they were shown on the big screen, he would say: "■■■■■■ f*ing Singhs”

"Indian" is not necessarily one people or culture. There's a dozen different religions (Muslim, Buddhist, Sikh, Jain, Catholic... plus all the hundreds of sects of Hinduism), and hundreds of languages. Different cities/areas all basically used to be separate kingdoms. And there's tensions within that. Generally people called Khans are from Muslim backgrounds (through the Mongols, of course...) who nobody likes, and 'Singhs' are generally Sikhs (with the big beards, long hair wrapped up in turbans), who've a reputation for being a bit aggro over the years....

The far northern states are quite separate, and the real southern states that’ve had more influence from neighbours through sea trading (Kerala, Goa, Tamil Nadu) are different again…

It’s a very, very big and very, very crazy joint.

"Indian" is not necessarily one people or culture. There's a dozen different religions (Muslim, Buddhist, Sikh, Jain, Catholic... plus all the hundreds of sects of Hinduism), and hundreds of languages. Different cities/areas all basically used to be separate kingdoms. And there's tensions within that. Generally people called Khans are from Muslim backgrounds (through the Mongols, of course...) who nobody likes, and 'Singhs' are generally Sikhs (with the big beards, long hair wrapped up in turbans), who've a reputation for being a bit aggro over the years....

The far northern states are quite separate, and the real southern states that’ve had more influence from neighbours through sea trading (Kerala, Goa, Tamil Nadu) are different again…

Yep. Exactly how he explained it to me (almost word for word - you used less swear words…). We spent a lot of time talking Indian/Australian history. Genuinely great fella, and my life isn’t as interesting now that we don’t work together.

I’m glad you explained all that. I couldn’t have been bothered going into detail…

Crazy good though !!

Yep.
Even within couples there’s mixes. Bird I work with is from an almost completely different religion (she won’t touch meat or alcohol… he’s full bore on both) from her husband… one woman I met when we travelled a bit over there didn’t speak a word of her husband’s language until after they got married.
I think it’s Northern Indians generally have bread with food, southern have rice, etc etc.

The differences have been part of their culture for so long that they just deal with it and move on.

OK, so the MCG is covered, what about the tennis, AAMI, Etihad, Geelong, Grand Prix, Melbourne Cup, Flinders St Station etc etc. Not sure a fence actually does much, surely they could have just improved what they were already doing?

Looks like a Zombie fence to me

After the Paris attacks they’ve introduced bag checks at the convention centre here in Cairns. Pretty farking pointless when you can drive into the underground car park with a car loaded with explosives and not have your car searched.

Still, at least it looks like they’re doing something…

The fence is actually being erected to keep the Melbourne supporters in.

SCG also has a fence.