The mental health thread

Yeah he did say there were some side effects but did not really go into much depth. He briefly mentioned tiredness, but there is tiredness and then there is feeling like you have been hit for six. I did some research online and my side-effects seem normal but I was curious to hear other peoples experiences, will have to power through the next few weeks and see how I go. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

2 Likes

Thanks for the comment henry, havenā€™t experienced tiredness like this before. Been going to bed 2 hours earlier, stepped up coffee intake and even modified my diet. I still just feel like napping all day, very forgetful and a bit of dissociation from the world. However have noticed a decline in my anxiety but could be placebo as iā€™ve read that it takes at least 3 weeks to feel the effects.

Awesome. Thank you

1 Like

Iā€™ll chase it up. Thanks mate

1 Like

There is a woman named Maggie Dent. She runs some of the best workshops going around for parents and children. Check her out on the web, she is good value and so is what she does. She also has books, cdā€™s, videos etc.

1 Like

You may find the coffee and the pills have you in a bit of a push/pull reaction. One is for slowing you down to enable you to cope with every day stresses and the other coffee, is a stimulant. You might try to limit the amount of coffee and the strength/dose of the coffee you are drinking. Iā€™m not saying go cold turkey but drink it weaker and not as often. Everyone is different but that is what I discovered about myself. Hopes it helps.

1 Like

Second raising boys, great book.
I have two young lads who are sensitive souls.

Read up on teaching your children resilience. You canā€™t shield them from all the bad stuff forever but you can teach them to navigate it and pick themselves up after a setback.

3 Likes

Yep pretty common, can be a rough 2-4 weeks getting on and off them and they often magnifiy or generate new exhaustion/depression/anxiety during this period. Everyone reacts differently but this seems very common.

My experience has been more like 2 weeks.
Everyoneā€™s a bit different though.
Just know that what youā€™re going through is not at all uncommon.

And unless youā€™re not educated itā€™s not a taboo subject anymore.

And Iā€™ve found personally this thread is more therapeutic than most that Iā€™ve whipped the Medicare card out for.

1 Like

Iā€™d wake up at ridiculous hours in the morning. because of my anxiety and have to google it so I could read forums about people having the same experiences. I had a bit of health anxiety too, so just reading that others also had racing heartbeat and the sweats for example helped me calm down because it meant I was having a panic attack and not a heart attack.

But I donā€™t think that would have been healthy for me in the long run. Iā€™m glad I was directed to see a psychologist because I was then able to get to the stage of working through things myself instead of feeling better due to others pain I guess.

And now, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve jolted awake for almost 2 years.

5 Likes

I still do that.

The other morning I was asleep but in my sleep somehow must have heard the kids charging into the bedroom. Just before they hit the bed I sprung up to catch them and scared the heebies out of them.

I was just as shocked myself.

1 Like

I wonder if psychology as a profession will be dead soon.
The girl I see tells me stuff I already know or gives me advice Iā€™d get online.
It doesnā€™t help one bit sheā€™s s babe either.

Isnā€™t the idea of counselling to work through something, usually by talking to someone. good luck talking to echo chambers online.

Sounds a bit far away in time

The issue as I see it with psychology is that they have such a mandated narrow focus. Mrs Fox is a psychotherapist and counseller who is forever at seminars and training courses looking for new ways to help her clients. Many of her colleagues are psychologists who act outside the profession forgoing Medicare so they can give better treatment options.

In my view, the whole mental health profession needs a makeover

3 Likes

Morris dancer?

Hey Guys
Currently out on my own and looking to get off meds
Anyone had experience with Effexor? My whole life has
Changed and I feel extremely better than 2018 and now I
Want to get rid of these drugs for good.
Heard people experience really bad withdrawalsā€¦I will be heading
To see my DR asap to help transition off.

So, I donā€™t really know what im expecting from this, so feel free to comment on anything in anyway you likeā€¦Iā€™m 41, have no idea how Iā€™m supposed to know if I have a mental health issue as Iā€™ve always felt way too many people think they do, when in reality itā€™s just a down time in life.

My whole life I have kinda felt out of place as a human, I have a very logical mind which sometimes makes the world in general and humans not make sense, and in my opinion have always been quite the introvert. Over the last 15 years or so my ability to interact with people has definitely improved, but within myself it still feels extremely awkward and totally draining to spend time with people / interact with people I am not comfortable with.

Iā€™ve always struggled to sleep, which has finally started to catch up with me as I get olderā€¦not sure of the exact reason, overactive brain, little joint pains and aches and niggles seem to be the main factors. I have tried some meditate to sleep apps and had varying degrees of success but nothing that had a huge impact. Diet and exercise isnā€™t the best at the moment but even when I have looked after myself better sleep has never been consistently good.

I have a decent paying job, which sometimes I enjoy sometimes I donā€™t, am buying a house etc so from that side I guess my life is ok in general.

Around 12 months ago I seperated from my partner of 10 years, the last 5 years had been hard as she was diagnosed with leukaemia, had to temporarily move to Melbourne, have a bone marrow transplant and go through recovery - we got through that together, but aftermath of her not being able to have kids etc made her decide she needed to figure out what else she wanted from life as all she had ever wanted was to settle down and have kids.

So apparently through no fault of my own, we had to settle finances etc, which even though we were amicable still sets you back a long way financially.

I do have friends so to speak but they have their own lives and we donā€™t catch up that often, problem is, I donā€™t really enjoy catching up that much anyway, and my friends are kinda limited in common interest - as in, one friend I play golf with, but has a family and has no time to spare and we donā€™t really share any other interests apart from golf. Another friend may share an enjoyment of video games, but nothing else so spending time with these friends tends to get ā€œboringā€ quite quickly.

I met a new partner about 7 months ago who lived about an hour away but things with her was absolutely fantastic, unfortunately that looks like itā€™s about to end due to her trying to become a pilot (means further distance and less time together) and having health issues of her own, which in her mind mean she canā€™t give me what I apparently ā€œneedā€.

So again, even though things are awesome, it could be overā€¦which leaves me with little human contact again, which doesnā€™t really bother me but I know it isnā€™t healthyā€¦

I donā€™t personally think I need help so to speak and I am dead set against taking anything so not really wanting to go see a dr who just sticks me on pillsā€¦just donā€™t want to spiral somewhere that Iā€™d rather not beā€¦thoughts? Suggestions? Probably missed a heap of stuff in my head so ask questions of there are gaps etc.

1 Like

I had a terrible experience with Effexor.
I became terribly reliant on it.
Iā€™m not saying it didnā€™t ā€˜workā€™ as such, but being on it created other problems.
I went cold turkey which I do Not recommend, but I felt like I had to kick it.
Experienced extreme paranoia, anxiety, shakes, andā€¦someone else had a better word for this earlier, but to me it was like someone was unsheathing a very sharp sword inside my head at random moments of day or night.

Soā€¦if you get that, itā€™s normal.
And it passes.
Eventually.