The Music Quiz

All correct answers so far.
Will update in the morning.

1. Shout - Tears for Fears
  1. Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

16 & 9 also correct.

13. Stray Cat strut / Stray Catz / BSD

11 Actually, but point given.

Updated. Only a few left to go, get them while they are still luke warm.

Time for some clues.

1. One hit wonder from the 1960’s about a homeless man. The chorus was given a unique vocal treatment.
  2. Debut single for a hard rocking west coast band, a mighty Hammond organ featured prominently.
  3. A rocking change of pace for an English band renowned for their vocal harmonies.
  4. Vintage effort from a well-known singer – songwriter, who passed away recently.
  5. Sweet rocking little number feom a band that played Woodstock, toured Australia and also backed John Lee Hooker on a double album.

6 Magic Carpet Ride / Steppenwolf

swoodley1h
6 Magic Carpet Ride / Steppenwolf

Correct. Although the new format has stuffed up the numbering, and l can’t be bothered going back to change them all. Don’t know how to edit on this new platform either.

Captain_Jack7d
Time for some clues.

One hit wonder from the 1960’s about a homeless man. The chorus was given a unique vocal treatment.
Debut single for a hard rocking west coast band, a mighty Hammond organ featured prominently.
A rocking change of pace for an English band renowned for their vocal harmonies.
Vintage effort from a well-known singer – songwriter, who passed away recently.
Sweet rocking little number from a band that played Woodstock, toured Australia and also backed John Lee Hooker on a double album.

Time is overdue to finish this quiz.
Answers.
1, The Days of Pearly Spencer - David McWilliams.

Even features a touch a harpsichord, and a soaring string section behind the chorus.
2. Swoodley answered.
3. Long Cool Woman (in a Black Dress) - The Hollies.

Features prominently and early in the new Kong Skull Island movie.
4. Tonight Will Be Fine - Leonard Cohen.

Here is a live version from the Isle of Wight Festival in 1970, this one contains an extra verse or few, and is my favourite version. Somewhere between country and folk.
5. Let’s Work Together - Canned Heat.

I saw them at the Mulwalla festival around 1973, when Stephen Stills and Manassas topped the bill. Stills was ghostly white when he played, looked like he was smacked out, but they were a hot band, much better than CSN&Y.

So…I was reading a few threads today and one of them referenced the music quiz. So, I thought it was time to revive it and here it is…back for your quizzing pleasure. I can’t promise that it will be as frequent as before but I’ll see what I can do

Same rules…Give me the Song Title & Artist

have fun

1. He was the wizard of a thousand kings / And I chanced to meet him one night wandering /He told me tales, and he drank my wine /Me and my magic man kinda feelin’ fine

2. Love is but a song to sing / Fear’s the way we die / You can make the mountains ring / Or make the angels cry

Get Together / The Youngbloods / Shelton10

1. He came dancing across the water / With his galleons and guns / Looking for the new world / In that palace in the sun

Cortez the Killer / Neil Young / wimmera1

1. Generals gathered in their masses / just like witches at black masses / Evil minds that plot destruction / sorcerers of death’s construction

War Pigs / Black Sabbath / bonzo

1. Madman drummer bummers / Indians in the summer / With a teenage diplomat

Blinded By The Light / Bruce Springsteen/Manfred Mann / riffraff

1. You’ve got worries / That’s nothing new/ The world won’t change around / To suit you

Look After Yourself / Stars / swooper

1. My girl Friday, she no square / She like lotus blossom in her hair / Be-bop records and something new / Sometimes borrowed, but she’s never blue

2. Lights out tonight / Trouble in the heartland / Got a head on collision / Smashin’ in my guts, man,

Badlands / Bruce Springsteen /Captain Jack

1. I live my life like there’s no tomorrow / And all I’ve got I had to steal / Least I don’t need to beg or borrow / Yes, I’m living at a pace that kills

Runnin’ With the Devil / Van halen / bonzo

1. can i touch you are you out of touch / i guess i never noticed that much / geranium lover i’m live on your wire / come and take me who ever you are

2. Well, he sits up there on his leatherette / Looks through pictures of the ones that he hasn’t had yet / When he thinks he wants a closer look / he gets out his little black telephone book

3. was talking with a friend of mine / said a woman had hurt his pride / Told him that she loved him so / and turned around and let him go

4. My life is a valuable thing / I wan’t to keep it that way / I won’t cry

Hercules / Midnight Oil / Hoffy

1. And so she woke up / Woke up from where she was / Lying still / Said I gotta do something / About where we’re going

2. Tossed into my mind / stirring the calm / You splash me with beauty / and pull me down

From Out Of Nowhere / Faith No More / wimmera1

1. You might have a happy family, nice house, fine car / You might be successful in real estate / You could even be a football star

You Can’t Take It With You / Paul Kelly / BAAKKEERRRR

1. She calls out to the man on the street / “Sir, can you help me? / It’s cold and I’ve nowhere to sleep / Is there somewhere you can tell me?”

Another day in Paradise / Phil Collins / McGoved

1. Mindless drifter on the road / (why do I) / Carry such an easy load / (why do i)

2. So close no matter how far / Couldn’t be much more from the heart / Forever trusting who we are

Nothing Else Matters / Pearl Jam / Koala

1. Son / she said, have I got a little story for you / What you thought was your daddy / was nothin’ but a…

Alive / Pearl Jam / Koala

1. War pigs - black sabbath
  2. Rnning with the devil - Van Halen
1 Like
  1. Hercules Midnight Oil
1 Like
  1. Once in a life time - Talking Heads

Sorry…that’s not the right answer…song or artist :frowning:

Bugger

1 Like
  1. Another day in Paradise - Phil Collins
1 Like

17 Another day in paradise - Phil Collins
19 Nothing else matters - Metallica
20 Alive - Pearl Jam

1 Like

2 is Get Together by the Youngbloods.

1 Like
  1. Cortez the Killer - Neil Young
    15 . From Out Of Nowhere - Faith No More
1 Like

Thanks for bringing back one of the great threads Swoodley.

1. Stars - Better Look After Yourself
3 Likes