The named team vs the winless Crows - 2020 round 8

To man the mark for the free kick he’s given away?

1 Like

Imagine that…

That squad looks really weak.

In the Age yesterday every single “expert” picked us to win. That doesn’t happen very often, but it’s happened a few times in the last 5 or so years, and as I recall it we have lost every one of those games.

of course we would be picked to win. We’re 4-2 and playing a deplorable 0-7 bottom of the ladder team. Of course we’d be picked to win. And yes, we all know how this goes. More bottom of the ladder loses than anyone over the last ~3 years…

1 Like

Damn we have missed a golden opportunity to have both Francis and Phillips playing in the same side. We could have baffled and mesmerised the Crows with a Doppelgänger play.

11 Likes

i don’t think anyone thinks Phillips is really - any good. i don’t. it’s just that literally everyone maybe apart from a handful of posters, think that he’s a fingernail better than belly

it’s 6 of one, halfa dozen of the other. I’m not overly suprised nor annoyed, it won’t make much difference. both are trash, and we’re shuffling deck chairs between them until draper can go

2 Likes

I think it’s very much the second… Maybe, just maybe it’ll be next week or the following that we’ll see Draper get a go.

Nobody is giving our outs enough attention.

That is 5 all Australians. 5 of our best 7 players!!!

Only Richmond and GWS have the depth to cover such a depleted side and even still they’ve been proven to struggle.

We will lose so do not be surprised.

… and who interviews well.

I can’t see us winning.

Can you give it a rest with the 5 All Australians rubbish?

At one stage a year or two ago we had 7 AA on our list which I think from memory was the most or near on close enough of any side in the comp.

Do you honestly believe that makes us the best?

Heppell, Hurley and Hooker are on their last legs and will never be at AA standard again. Hell even Merrett looks a long way off past standards and he’s in the prime of his career.
It dosn’t mean ■■■■ if you aren’t getting team results.

2 Likes

You tell him Karen

Okay you can drop the All Australian tag but it just shows the standard of their best footy.

Yes, that form may have been a few years ago but Hooker and Heppell have been crippled by injury and suspension since. Shiel was having an AA calibre season before suspension and Stringer not far behind!

But to appease you I will leave it we are missing 5 of our best 7-8 players verse crows

Whether they at AA standard still or not relevant really

It’s 5-6 of our best players in structurally important positions

Our best inside mid trio. Our best kpf and 3rd tall fwd. Our best kpd (and best backup)

Which means shifting of magnets of players trying to fulfill the roles of our best players and not being up their standard. And depth coming in to play the roles of those shifted who aren’t up their standard / have the understanding-experience in.

Then at the very least not structuring fwd line in an effective way is on selectors though but if Stewart doesn’t come in they still believe in their reasons for doing so.

Plus a ruck (and back up ruck) whose not even close to that of the good AFL rucks which magnifies further the missing 3 best inside mids. .

The above closes the gap on any supposedly strong team and lesser team, especially if the supposed stronger teams depth is shallow/inexperienced.

2 Likes

Joe - May never play again
Hurley - Love him but he’s on his last legs
Hooker - Love him but he is 32 and injuries are getting to him
Heppell - Not even sure where he fits in when fit. Injuries are getting to him and may never recover
Shiel - Brain fade. Not sure how that can be anything but our own doing

You are overlooking the minor fact that Adelaide are 0-7 and look to be in a similar position culturally to us post saga. If you are suggesting we can’t beat this rabble then you are just confirming how poor our list is.

I swear you said at the start of the season that Ridley wasn’t part of the senior team.

Just because somebody may be the incumbent doesn’t mean they are the best option.

You have far too much faith in the selectors.

Hurley is playing on Sunday…

Okay Joe may not play again but he’s taking about a fair chunk of our salary cap so we are at a disadvantage there.

Missing Shiel and Hepp will hurt as they are clearly our best clearance players. An area that we were exposed in badly last game… Crouch brothers’ strength.

Yes Adelaide are 0-7 but it’s at their home ground and they are getting better each match if you’ve been watching. Plus I don’t need to bring up our record against poor sides.

I’m not saying we can’t beat them, I just think we will lose or win in a tight one. The previews that I’ve read and the general chat aren’t giving enough attention how much quality we are missing.

1 Like

That is a very fair point. That camp has cooked that club

1 Like

What quality?

We are a middle of the road side and have been for a decade and a half.

That the key point that you aren’t understanding. We all know that we are a chance to lose to them, but it isn’t because we are missing players. It is because we have a history of losing to vulnerable sides and we do that irrespective of the side we put out there.

Injuries are just an excuse. We should beat this mob with our current lineup and I think we will.

2 Likes

He wasn’t. I don’t think anybody would have him above Franga, Redman or Gleeson at the start. He was struggling in the VFL last season. He just grabbed his opportunity by the balls when it popped up. I don’t think that’s on the selectors.

2 Likes