The old NRL vs AFL

I’ve always found league to be fascinatingly dull. I tend to gravitate toward union as it has more variables that affect what happens on the field… which to me makes it more interesting.

1 Like

One second you’re stuck in the trenches, battling it out for glory…

… The next you’re waking up with pink eye.

Where does the madness end. WHERE.

2 Likes

As someone who plays Union, can’t tell you how many AFL fans have referred to it a bumsniffing like it’s the most original thing in the world.

That being said, AFL and Union are my first loves but League not far behind

1 Like

I could really go to town on Union without mentioning that once.
But nobody wants to see that.

I can remember as a kid growing up in NQ copping all kinds of ■■■■ cos I played Australian football. “Oh it’s gay, you’re soft” etc etc. When I was 15 my own grandad thought I was gay cos I didnt play ‘real’ footy or like ‘manly’ pursuits such as camping and fishing. It was kinda funny to watch a lot of the meltdowns when Ian Roberts came out as gay; I know many league supporters who struggled to process this info.

That kind of mentality is still around up this way but I come across it a lot less. Whether it’s more AFL fans moving up this way or the influence of the Lions/Suns, there a lot more acceptance for AFL than there used to be.

I don’t hate league, but I find it quite dull. We played it all the time in high school for PE (my teacher was the school’s coach) and I was always amazed at how stunningly simple a game it was.

1 Like

I moved to Queensland when I was still in High School and got “ohh you like GAY-fl” and “Airial Pingpong” all the time. But the funny thing is that the Cowboys (the local team) had Aussie Rules coaches training the players on how to kick and mark better.

I gather you don’t really know much about Union…

2+3+4 = 9. There are only 8 guys in a scrum…

I don’t… I watch it in the World Cup, enjoy it and wonder wtf is going on at the breakdown. Nothing against it, just repeating a bad joke.

You’d be pretty embarrassed if you lost a scrum like that.

1 Like

What this thread really shows is how homophobic a lot of people were/are.

Surely this is a historical thing?
Ironically is still poor form, but surely it’s only said ironically now.

There’s an AFL league in Bundaberg that (when I could be bothered getting out) seemed about as big as the League league, although League had tie-ins with all the clubs.

I’d be shocked if that sort of thing wasn’t a minority of a minority now.

Edit: Although, come on. Bumsniffers isn’t much better. GTFU.

I’m not excluding that.