The Paul Van der Haar vs Peter Knights duel

Many people actually drank Foster’s back then. Not me, I just stood on the depth chargers.

1 Like

Mmmmmm, donuts !

Steinberg? WSPHU!

1 Like

Didn’t miss a home game for 4-5 years back then so I was definitely there. Don’t remember it as clearly as I recall Vanda’s comeback game.
Interesting that the highlights they show of the duel has Ian Marsh mistaken for Vanda. Only a foot shorter.

In 1979, Ian Marsh (who was a brickie by trade) was building a brick front fence at the house I was living in Napier Street opposite Windy Hill. Crackers Keenan who was at the Bombers, was walking to training, saw Marshs handiwork and told him that one of the middle bricks was crooked. He then proceeded to just pull it out.

As I understand Ian March had to rebuild the whole fence . Keenan was crackers.

2 Likes

The beer, the beer. I was early teens in 1978 so no beer for me. But it seemed like everyone was completely maggoted, especially in that 100 metre stretch from the forward pocket in front of the scoreboard around to the outer. And by maggoted I mean reeeally messy, pukey, dribbly, pissy, punchy, falling over, shouty, foul mouthed, belligerent, shlt-stain drunk. I once took a pee in the toilets beneath the scoreboard at half time and this kid about my age (13 or 14) with long blond hair stood next to me and he was so drunk he puked his guts into the urinal and just kept right on peeing. Good times!!!

2 Likes

Great wasn’t it !

1 Like

So that was your first encounter with a future Blitzer?
Which one, do you know / suspect?

(He’d probably had one of the Chiko rolls to line his stomach - they were truly appalling)

1 Like

Remember Marsh and Heard playing on the wings - Marsh used to run around in circles, while Heard used to run backwards - It was Keystone cops.

For all Paul van der Haar fans (and weren’t we all), he will be a guest on Channel 7’s The Front Bar on Wednesday 24 June 2020. Never seen him interviewed and have high hopes!

2 Likes
2 Likes

Vander’s is not the most riveting interview subject and will be surprised if he fits into the Front Bar formula.

I spent a few hours with him in the main bar of Flanagans Pub in the Marsh, and he was laconic, funny and liked a drink, in between going out for a smoke.

Mike Sheehan has interviewed him. IIRC it is on You Tube.

1 Like

Yeah, he did an Open Mike with him.

Found it. Amazingly up on Youtoob w/out Murfuch screaming Rights violation and having them taken down.

Wonder if the poster Rare EFC Videos has some affiliation that makes him some bucks??

Sheeds and Dusty Open mikes in the play next list too. :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks for that. Nice interview. Loved Vanda.

2 Likes