The Persecution of Robert Muir

Not according to the author of the article. Was first aired live and then they put it on their DVD.

1 Like

That’s how it’s done bucks ‘n ed

Fantastic writing but a truly heartbreaking story.

hes digging in is ralph.

yes, was on TV, but was pre-recorded not done live. It was on their 100th episode special where before they cut to a break they showed “highlights” of the previous 99 episodes which were all fake. I remember watching it thinking “I thought I had seen every episode, how have I missed so much?”. They also did one where a lady gave birth in the audience

2 Likes

What was the skit about?

Yes horrible story. Sad to hear what he went through. I can honestly remember abusing the ■■■■ out of him from close to the fence at Windy Hill one day after he king hit one of our players. I recall he seemed quite “psycho” at the time and was acting quite irrationality. Or so it seemed at the time…

Muir was known as Mad Dog Muir. Norm McDonald’s nickname was Darky.
When the Krakour brothers played at North Melbourne, Lou Richards referred to them as black magic and that they had some sort of tribal instinct to locate each other on the ground.
Wanganeen copped it on the field.
As Des Headland and Gilbert McAdam said, it wasn’t done to speak out then,

2 Likes

having a massive go at umpires. McGuire started by asking him “you had some run in with the umpires but deep down you must have had some respect for them” then he goes off “■■■■ off, little midgets” “you get these ■■■■■■■ about this high”, drops the f-bomb a bout 20 times (all bleeped out).

You actually see him wink to McGuire and Newman a couple of times so they know he is still joking. They then ask Muir to leave and he says something like “well if you don’t want to listen to me you can get ■■■■■■ too” then he flips the desk over and walks out.

delete

Going straight to “woke warriors” makes me think he knows some wrongdoing occurred, but isn’t willing to accept any consequence. Too aggressive when it doesn’t have to be.

Literally, he could have just said “I’m comfortable with what happened, and wish the best for Robert going forward” (or something along those lines).

3 Likes

I think you’re giving him too much credit. I doubt he has the comprehension skills to realise how exploitative that skit was. It’s all good in his eyes because Robert agreed to it.

1 Like

Why would people have written in to complain about what Muir did on the Footy Show? Seriously, it isn’t just these days that people need to get a life.

Sam’s Street talk pieces, sniggering at the less fortunate and those who had limited English. Made them feel superior.
Ralph savages what he calls political correctness.
But if anyone voices the slightest crtiticism of Israel , Ralph labels them anti Semitic

6 Likes

Having to resort to having his story broadcast in the media in order to gain assistance from St Kilda and the AFL is a literal example of adding insult to injury.

13 Likes

Poor form by Ralphy. Was even given an out with ‘passage of time’.
The guy is hurting. He could have atleast acknowledged it in some small way.

4 Likes

Hopefully the man can find some peace and dignity in his final years, and get some recognition from the club he endured for. I couldn’t imagine having to deal with what he went through, just horrific.

2 Likes

Phil Carman had quite a record in SA, Victoria and the ACT. But he was known as “Fabulous Phil”

1 Like

I remember Muir as a thug. Remember one game where Essendon players seemed to give him a small whack as they went past, probably on about three occasions. So bad was his reputation that the umpires seemed to think this was a fair thing, and let play go on. I think Sheedy at one stage wanted to recruit him from the Saints, but the players displayed great concern at this, so it did not happen.
I was unaware of his problems at the Saints, but it explains his fairly miserable nature.

Disgraceful isn’t it?

1 Like