The Persecution of Robert Muir

It’s terrible what he went through, but make no mistake, on field he was an absolutely nasty, vicious thug.

4 Likes

Perhaps the two are related?

17 Likes

Before my time. Was it a result of the abuse he copped?

If you read the article he was copping horrendous abuse as a junior in the Ballarat League.

1 Like

Funny what being persistently ostracised does to people, hey?

7 Likes

And after all that it’s still going to be his epitaph by the looks of it.

This was the skit. It is so obviously a joke it’s ridiculous.

Sam is wearing a farking wig and Eddie is trying not to smile.

The EXACT same thing they used to do with Barry Hall.

Poor bloke, he had no chance in such a racist footy culture. On the field goaded into reacting after the most heinous abuse. He sounds an amazing talent what a shame he got almost no help from anyone at St. Kilda or the AFL.

I thought it was fair dinkum, certainly wouldn’t rely on Sam’s appearance as a clue otherwise

It’s clearly fake dude. Trust me.

At 13 seconds in, he even winks at Eddie.

I lost count of the amount of times I ■■■■■■ on a teammate or was ■■■■■■ on by a teammate in the showers. Was all a bit of fun for us but for Robbie it obviously wasn’t

Agreed, but plenty of us slower types just saw crazy Muir at it again

1 Like

It’s just really poor journalism.

The article talks so much about a 45 second segment on The Footy Show, where he was payed to come in and do a skit. Everyone had a fun time and he regrets doing it now. It literally had nothing to do with his race.

The sole focus should have been about the racial abuse he was subject to and trying to find a way to get him some medical treatment. That’s the most important part.

Talking about The Footy Show dilutes the story.

2 Likes

Must’ve missed out on the ■■■■■■■ parties whilst playing tennis.

If you grew up in the 1960’s around the Glenroy area like me, then you knew to stay away from the aboriginal gang that roamed the streets and parks. Maybe they were abused and treated badly, but not by me or my friends as we were too scared of them to even consider it. I have not much sympathy for Muir; there was three brothers who went to Glenroy tech and our High School played footy against them each year. All were great players, and thugs off the ball because they knew if you hit back that the “gang” would be looking for you. Muir was of the same ilk; and in the Ballarat area, the ther indiginous boys stayed away from him because of his temper and violent nature.

There is no excuse for the alleged treatment of him or anyone else, but once again journalist do not tell the whole story.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this, Diggers.

1 Like

Heartbreaking story, there is a go fund me page to help him raise money to have surgery on his shoulder. I donated this morning.

3 Likes

St Kilda had Matt Finnis on the radio this morning. He claimed that it could have been a young receptionist who didn’t know who Muir was, took his call. You would hope that even the most amature of AFL clubs, who had an ex player ringing for help, might at least flagged the call. Even St Kilda…

Cracked the target of $100k earlier today. Naturally it doesn’t make up for the years of neglect from his AFL and SANFL clubs but hopefully it can make his life a little better from here.

2 Likes

i grew up in Gunroy and parts of it were tough. was a high school student but had friends at Glenroy tech. It was considered the toughest school in Victoria at the time

1 Like