The Persecution of Robert Muir

I picked up at that moment that it was all for show.

1 Like

[quote=“primmer1978, post:60, topic:19585, full:true”]

Geez come on - they just gave a pretty good excuse, liberty’s or not.

Essendon has a past players association that assists those on hard times. Imagine the Saints would have one also

1 Like

I don’t know that it’s poor journalism, or there was no reason to discuss TFS segment, but I agree that it becomes a bit of a pile on and the discussion about it here (and with Ralphy) illuminates the lack of nuance when discussing things like this these days.

IMO, pretty hard to see exactly what TFS did wrong. They paid a bloke fairly for (presumably) 5 mins work. I can’t imagine they’d have any idea about Muir’s history (at least insofar as it drove his “madness” and was relevant to this skit), and there’s no conceivable way that they could have predicted the response to the - that Muir’s reputation would be irreparably sullied such that it effected his employment opportunities (if in fact that’s what happened and how it happened).

As you said elsewhere - there’d be nothing wrong with doing it with Barry Hall or any other footy “thug.” I don’t see how this is different.

But the rest of the article… wowee… poor bloke. Great to see he’s getting some dough to help his body out.

4 Likes

Neil Roberts. Best & Fairest

1 Like

Agree that there’s no way they could have known at the time, and that bashing the Footy Show is in vogue.

What’s poor form though is Ralph doubling down on that point instead of, y’know, listening to what the bloke has to say about it now.

5 Likes

My old man knew (not close mates or anything, just knew him) Muir and remembers him as an angry bloke who “you’d just steer clear of unless you were already on first name terms with him”. Doesn’t blame him because, “everyone was an ■■■■■■■ to him, especially the police.”

2 Likes

It’s what happens when you have people in their first non retail job. Doubt the kid even cares about st kilda other than a pay cheque.

3 Likes

Like I said to @Saucy , when I saw this back in the day I thought it was genuine. I accept that’s partly on me. But it left me with the impression Muir was a violent uncontrolled whirlwind. It’s not like TFS made clear afterwards it was a complete act, which Muir could’ve expected them to do (though he should have realised he was taking some risk with the media). If it’s true his pay went from $800 to $1,200 for being the village ogre, that’s a paltry fee for the shame and drama TFS extracted from it.

I remember that Footy Show skit well because I’ve got that 100th episode special. I thought it was pretty funny at the time but when you hear the back story that changes your opinion. The whole article is very sad…

Rhys Jones and Carman might not have been as desperate for cash.
And Jackson’s article was so well crafted as a narrative, including where Muir made wrong decisions - it gives a chronological history of what went wrong and how/why, what it is to be indigenous in a society, violent abusive father to boot… It is also applicable to ethnic minorities of a different skin colour.
It does not give the footy show centre stage, it’s part of the narrative. If people choose to focus on that alone, it is leaving out the bits …
About the best put down I remember at the footy was when some fark Carlton fans were racially abusing Long and Wanganeen - an Essendon person said ‘At least some of ours are home grown forever.’

1 Like

Reports coming out now that Collingwood have issued an apology to Muir today. They are now examining their own history/culture with regard to the treatment of indigenous players. We will know how sincere they are if they address the issues raised by Hertier. If nothing is done, then it is a hollow gesture, Pies PR spin.

7 Likes

They actually did say later that none of those “highlights” had actually happened as people were saying that they did remember seeing those things.

2 Likes

Just goes to show you how horrible people can be. Kids can be mean, but adults can be downright disgraceful.

Sadly it’s not just indigenous players from another era, it’s indigenous folks from all walks of life that have to carry this around too.

Hopefully people can just learn to be better human beings.

3 Likes

I remember Hirdy talking about when Longy was being reported quite a bit. Maybe 1994? And Hirdy going “if you heard what people were saying to him you can see why he was getting reported”.

Obviously this is on a far greater scale with Muir, but Long took the stand and the game has improved since, but still has a long way to go.

Anyway this article reminded me of what Hird said about Long.

It’s a very sad read but hopefully some good comes from it

7 Likes

I don’t understand Stkilda offering a public apology at this stage - I thought you meet the person face to face to give an apology and then later with the permission of the offended party you issue a public apology.

Late 80s Longy got reported a fair bit.

1 Like

Don’t recall ever seeing Michael Long king-hit anyone though; Muir’s highlight reel would have more than few hits from behind.

1 Like

Neither do I. But I remember him squaring up a number of times and dishing out the odd left hook.

Muir was before my time so I can’t comment on that except to say from the footage I’ve seen he packed a decent punch.

Yep he did.

I remember a game at Moorabbin in 19975 or 1976, when he was running down the wing and gave Gary Parkes a punch behind his ear. Parkes went down, but jumped up and chased Muir along the wing with both of them throwing punches at each other, with blood streaming down Parkes neck. Neither got reported but for the rest of the match they were looking for each other.