The positive thread. find something, anything

Chinotto has more sugar than Coke. It just typically comes in a smaller serving size. Which is good, given it’s pretty rubbish.

Might be true of the “not real” Chinottos like the Coca Cola version Bisleri, & San Pel, etc), but, although I don’t know for sure, a genuine one would have to be half that of coke I reckon, … then again, it may have heaps to counter the bitterness.

At any rate, the point was, if you have grown up on super sweet shitt like black aspro, it’s a hard push to educate the other end of the palate.

It’s well worth it to do so though.

NB: If you can drink a heavily hopped (bitter) beer, like IPA’s etc, you can easily get to enjoy the thirst quenching complexities of a real Chinotto.

Any of our Italian blitzers got grandmas recipe from the “Old Country” for homemade Chinotto syrup/cordial they may like to share?

I’ve just googled for an hour with zero luck, other than a faux version some Aussie running a London bistro has knocked up.

The trees used to be fairly common on Melbourne nature strips in the Nthn Burbs. Not sure if they still are, but there’s plenty in Sth Gippsland thanks to the legacy of the large Italian mining community that established down here, & I have access to plenty of fruit.

Don’t know why I never clicked to doing it before …

Any of our Italian blitzers got grandmas recipe from the "Old Country" for homemade Chinotto syrup/cordial they may like to share?

I’ve just googled for an hour with zero luck, other than a faux version some Aussie running a London bistro has knocked up.

The trees used to be fairly common on Melbourne nature strips in the Nthn Burbs. Not sure if they still are, but there’s plenty in Sth Gippsland thanks to the legacy of the large Italian mining community that established down here, & I have access to plenty of fruit.

Im assuming Chinotto is a trade name, or would the old folk know it by that name? I’ll ask at this old Italian shop in Preston that sells everything from the mother country for cooking, home preserving and bottling.

Let us know if you get your hands on some fruit, especially if it’s accessible to public.

Might be true of the "not real" Chinottos like the Coca Cola version Bisleri, & San Pel, etc), but, although I don't know for sure, a genuine one would have to be half that of coke I reckon, .. then again, it may have heaps to counter the bitterness.

At any rate, the point was, if you have grown up on super sweet shitt like black aspro, it’s a hard push to educate the other end of the palate.

It’s well worth it to do so though.

NB: If you can drink a heavily hopped (bitter) beer, like IPA’s etc, you can easily get to enjoy the thirst quenching complexities of a real Chinotto.

San Pelligrino claim to have invented chinotto in the 1950s. Whether true or not, they’ve been making it for 60-70 years, so what’s a “genuine” chinotto if their’s isn’t? It’s just a soft drink like any other, but made with a seriously bitter orange. And just like a bitter Seville orange marmalade contains as much sugar as a sickly sweet strawberry jam:

San pel chinotto = 11.1 g/100 ml
Coke = 10.6 g /100 ml

Dr peppers awesome.
Stripped the bathroom walls like a charm.

mmmmmmm…

Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, caramel color, citric acid, chinotto extract, sodium citrate, salt, L-ascorbic acid.

That’s the San Pel ingedients in the moden day, after being absorbed by Nestle.

Not one of those things, other than the sugar, is in proper Chinotto.

Except the H2O and the CO2.

It apparently was once the genuine article, but no, they certainly didn’t invent it. They may have invented exporting it.

Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, caramel color, citric acid, chinotto extract, sodium citrate, salt, L-ascorbic acid.

That’s the San Pel ingedients in the moden day, after being absorbed by Nestle.

Not one of those things, other than the sugar, is in proper Chinotto.

Except the H2O and the CO2.

It apparently was once the genuine article, but no, they certainly didn’t invent it. They may have invented exporting it.

Fair enough. I used to like creaming soda when I was a kid. Yecch!

Pretty much can’t stomach any soft drink these days, except the odd tonic with gin. Fruit juice likewise, just don’t drink it any more.

An original one, (todays home made ones) will have the fruit, qtr’d, laid on trays and roasted until the sugars caramelise and go deep brown, (how you get the dark colour), and then is steeped in syrup along with a assortment of spices, like this faux one I found, but here they substitute other citrus.

I,ve become a bit of a google instant expert on it last night, and their is now a protection law & a revival of the genuine article recently put in place in Italy.

Any of our Italian blitzers got grandmas recipe from the “Old Country” for homemade Chinotto syrup/cordial they may like to share?

Im assuming Chinotto is a trade name, or would the old folk know it by that name? I’ll ask at this old Italian shop in Preston that sells everything from the mother country for cooking, home preserving and bottling.

Let us know if you get your hands on some fruit, especially if it’s accessible to public.

Cheers mate. (Soz, I missed this post somehow earlier)

Re Fruit: I will, as always catch up with many of the old friends of Italian roots from school days leading up to Commerce-mas, and will ask them if the trees are still going.

I imagine most of their parents, and definitely G-Parents are passed or moved into facilities by now, so they may not be in known, or friendly hands anymore.

I take it you’re semi local at least?

Because these ones aren’t nature strip planted. For public access ones, the Melbourne burbs would be the best bet, … again, if they are still out there and alive as they once were.

Lastly, Chinotto is the name for the Fruit itself, … it then lends it’s name to the drink.

mmmmmmm....

Oh no!! My parents love the stuff

mmmmmmm....

Oh no!! My parents poverty the stuff

What is autocorrect trying to tell me?

mmmmmmm....

Oh no!! My parents poverty the stuff

What is autocorrect trying to tell me?

Oh crap. It’s meant to read LOVE the stuff. It’s disgusting!

Hmm, … “Love” auto correcting to Poverty … Is your Phone OS, Android BacchusFox 4.3?

Lol. How can we make “poverty” the stuff on blitz?
I know “Joe Daniher will poverty (kick heapz) of goal tonight.”

An original one, (todays home made ones) will have the fruit, qtr'd, laid on trays and roasted until the sugars caramelise and go deep brown, (how you get the dark colour), and then is steeped in syrup along with a assortment of spices, like this faux one I found, but here they substitute other citrus.

I,ve become a bit of a google instant expert on it last night, and their is now a protection law & a revival of the genuine article recently put in place in Italy.

Cheers mate. (Soz, I missed this post somehow earlier)

Re Fruit: I will, as always catch up with many of the old friends of Italian roots from school days leading up to Commerce-mas, and will ask them if the trees are still going.

I imagine most of their parents, and definitely G-Parents are passed or moved into facilities by now, so they may not be in known, or friendly hands anymore.

I take it you’re semi local at least?

Because these ones aren’t nature strip planted. For public access ones, the Melbourne burbs would be the best bet, … again, if they are still out there and alive as they once were.

Lastly, Chinotto is the name for the Fruit itself, … it then lends it’s name to the drink.

I’m local (Northcote) and I’ve asked a few of the people my age that I know have parents of Italian heritage if they know. Best response so far ‘google it’ thanks Nona !

Hmm, .. "Love" auto correcting to Poverty .... Is your Phone OS, Android BacchusFox 4.3?
My guess is that it's predictive text based on hitting the P rather than the adjacent L and there aren't many words starting POVE

I don’t mind the predictive text on iOS where you choose the word rather than have it auto-complete.

Auto-correct should always be turned off unless you flat out can’t spell.

Mangoes. Good prices at moment.

Restoring an old coffee machine over the last month and no internal leakages.

Feta.