The Pro Cycling Thread

Yes great race. I said Scotson and Canty rode above my expectations in ITT - so suspected they might go OK in RR.

Scotson said he put 54T big ring on specifically for that downhill attack over last few km - once he got it going he sure had some speed.

Este Chaves also sighted doing a few laps so he is in Oz already.

That’s how you win a damn bike race. Screw Gerrans sitting in and attacking with 50m to go.

It was a good standard ride - It was more a race for the future - Canty can be a very good rider at WT level after another one or two pre-seasons - Lachlan Morton is WT standard if he can keep his head screwed on - Scotson screams classics rider if developed properly - I thought Miles Scotson was a bit disappointing in the TT but he bounced back today - Think Porte is a near certainty for TDU.

Yeh, Chaves was mobbed by the crowds before the road race.

No surprise Chaves was mobbed by the crowds - That’s why Orica brought him to OZ - Forgot to add Durbridge the ride of the race - From what I’ve seen in the last week - Durbridge is in super form, Hepburn in good form, Gerranns and Ewan going OK, Docker and Howson need more racing.

No surprise Chaves was mobbed by the crowds - That's why Orica brought him to OZ - Forgot to add Durbridge the ride of the race - From what I've seen in the last week - Durbridge is in super form, Hepburn in good form, Gerranns and Ewan going OK, Docker and Howson need more racing.

Gerrans was sick right through the Christmas / New year period. He’s still not 100%

Daniel Benson on the Cycling News Podcast brought up Orica using the nuclear option for the TDF - Chaves and the Yates twins head to head against Froome - You could have a team of Chaves, A.Yates,S.Yates, Kreuzeger, Howson, Gerrans, Hayman, Bewley and Keukeliere - It’s an interesting proposition but not suited to the easy parcours of the 2017 TDF.

I am surprised that Orica doesn’t have most of their squad training in Australia in January - Seems crazy to have half the squad training in sub zero conditions in Europe.

What happened to Ewan? Looked like he might finally have some endurance and then … nope

Brendan Canty suffering from premature celebration which can be devastating. But at least its not as bad as Dylan Buckley celebrating a point.

What happened to Ewan? Looked like he might finally have some endurance and then ... nope

For a sprinter Ewan’s climbing is OK, but still brittle - he will crack if it is too hot, too far, too many attacks and chases etc. When he finished 2nd at Road Nats to Hausler, it was cool - about 18 to 22 from memory - and he rode with a dwindling peleton, not in the break.

Also he was targeted by the break yesterday - nobody except Durbo wanted Ewan to stay there to the end and sprint against him. I think the series of attacks by Morton, Sutherland?, Shaw?, Dyball? was more about shaking Ewan off the back, than the attacker getting clear of the break.

Daniel Benson on the Cycling News Podcast brought up Orica using the nuclear option for the TDF - Chaves and the Yates twins head to head against Froome - You could have a team of Chaves, A.Yates,S.Yates, Kreuzeger, Howson, Gerrans, Hayman, Bewley and Keukeliere - It’s an interesting proposition but not suited to the easy parcours of the 2017 TDF.

I am surprised that Orica doesn’t have most of their squad training in Australia in January - Seems crazy to have half the squad training in sub zero conditions in Europe.

Orica-Scott team for the TDU

• Gerrans
  • Chaves
  • Ewan
  • Howson
  • Durbridge
  • Kluge
  • Impey

Howson and Durbridge to be the work horses - Chaves and Gerrans for GC - Kluge to lead out Ewan in the sprints and Impey to play the utility role - A competitive team.

UNI-SA team for the TDU

Vuelta route announced.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x588xym_recorrido-3d-la-vuelta-a-espana-2017_sport

l’Angliru is back, probably the hardest climb in GTs
Plenty of MTFs, it’s a ■■■■■■ hard route

Still trying to determine which route is the hardest the Giro or the Vuelta - Thank God we have interesting stages on weekend 2 and 3 - This is when most people have time to watch - Flat stages or TT’s should never be on the weekends - I like the idea of having the ITT at the beginning of the last week as it should make for more exciting racing - Strong TTers can ride defensively in the mountains if the ITT is stage 19 or 20.

Interesting that Matt White stated the bulk of the TDF squad is competing at the TDU - Reckon Gerrans, Durbridge and Impey are certainties - Doubt if Ewan,Kluge or Docker will make the team - So this leaves Chaves - Looks like each of the GC guys will do two GT’s - Which two is still undecided.

Spratt takes stage 1 of the Woman’s TDU with a solo breakaway - Has a 20 second lead which is just about enough to win GC.

Caleb Ewan smashes the People’s choice.

Pretty much uncontested, yawn.

Bennett 2nd, Sagan 3rd.

Reckon Bennett lost Sagan’s wheel for the leadout - A cool,calculating ride by Kluge to lead out Ewan. Orica is giving Ewan every chance by recruiting Mezgec and Kluge in the last 2 years - I hope that Ewan rides some cobbled races this year, instead of trying for MSR.

Anyway looks like the climber types will be riding the Volta Valencia which is a 5 day stage race starting on February. The classics team will be riding one day races in Spain in Feb 11 and 12.