The Pro Cycling Thread

Bardiani are racing today.

Posteleberger wins a strange stage 1 of the Giro - A very chilled out stage in which the technical finish spread the peleton out in the last 3km. Postleburger the second lead out rider for Bora ,lead out and with just 2kms to go he slipped away - At this stage Etix and Lotto Soudal had no lead out riders, while Orica had Juul-Jensen and Edmondson leading, though they could make make no impression on Postleburger - Ewan won the sprint for second.

Reading Kluge’s twitter suggests he is an unhappy camper. Fantastic win by Robert Stannard of Orica Scott in Stage 3 of Rhones Alpes Isere at 18 years of age.

Disappointed the Aussie didn’t get up but love seeing sprinters suffer at the hands of someone having a crack.

1 Like

Stage 2 is a fair bit tougher than stage 1.

nominally a puncheur’s stage, the Giro has a distinct lack good ones in the field. You wonder why OS didn’t bring Gerro or Albasini here?
Wouldn’t surprise if a breakaway or late move on the last mountain stays away TBH.

Postleberger didn’t have a crack - He was part of the lead out train - He wasn’t a Steve Cummings attacking the peleton with 1 or 2kms to go - It was an accidental victory - Have no idea who will win today’s stage - Probably a classics rider but could be a GC contender.

Hayman appearing as an expert on Eurosport’s pre-stage coverage - He knows his stuff - A future career beckons.

1 Like

i watched the replay again, and sadly it was Edmonson’s fault. Postleberger was leading the bunch and the next two riders pulled off. Edmonson just couldn’t bridge the gap (couple of bike lengths) and that was it.
That team selection.

What is it with Ewan, it just doesn’t seem to happen for him.

Still only 22.

Bad luck for Ewan but he has another chance today - Lead out was excellent - Will say I like Kluge as Ewan’s lead out for two reasons - One is he is super quick for a final lead out ride,r and second because he is so big he keeps Ewan out of the wind.

1 Like

Stage 3 of the Giro- Etix split the peleton in crosswinds with Keisse and Jungels doing big turns - Etix had 6 riders out of 10 in the split - Jungels was going so hard he split the 10 with 1.3km to go, except for Haas who kept his wheel - Haas should have attacked at that stage - He waited with Jungels and of course Gaviria wins the sprint - Ewan won the sprint in the second group group 13 seconds behind. Rest day and then stage 4 is Mount Etna.

Gaviria is so impressive.

Kicking Ewan’s butt. I expected this.

At the end of the day, Etix was too strong in the crosswinds. It was a monster ride by Jungels and strange to see a GC guy inflicting damage in cross winds. Seemed that Matt White was a touch unhappy over Orica’s performance. Reckon Ewan did well to make the second group as i expected him to be blown to the rear.

I suspect 3 or 4 GC guys to lose time up Mt Etna.vEtna.v

Rohan Dennis lost five minutes, crashing as the echelons split :confused:

It’s amazing how much they leave in with these videos. You could see White and Matthews not getting on last year. Matthews and Ewan didn’t seem too close during the TDU coverage nor in the Giro so far. Though Ewan showed himself to be a bit of a jerk to that other bloke in the day two video as well. They all try to laugh it off but there’s honesty there.

1 Like

Dont take BP too seriously. White hated Matthews so much he made him the number one rider at the TDF, despite Matthews already announcing he was moving to Sunweb.

Anyway the BP movie will be released in August. Its supposed to be good.

Dennis out.

Going to Le Tour now?

1 Like

You’d think so. Good support for Porte.

Mt Etna was a bit of a yawn. GC guys not yet ready to put it on the line so early in the race.
Sprinter’s day today.

1 Like

Mt Etna was always going to be a drag with the block headwind - Verona gave excellent support to A.Yates still controlling the peleton with 2kms to go - Plaza got dropped with 8kms of the climb to go - Verona will be a valuable ally for Yates, so hope Plaza can find form, though I have my doubts.