The Pro Cycling Thread

Hindley and Storer to make their GT debuts for Sun Web at the Vuetla.

Apparently MS will hold Mezgec to his contract - Haig was a no-brainer and makes perfect sense - Interesting that Hansen has been deleted from Lotto Soudal’s squad for the Vuelta- This indicates he is leaving the team and will greener pastures - I can understand the O’Connor decision as he has no pedigree in long one day races.

MS like Mezgec, so I’m not surprised. It will be interesting to see how they use him next year.

Mezgec should explore more classics riding - Will be interesting to see if Mezgec does the Vuelta, seeing he is not riding the Binck Banck Tour with Ewan - The two websites have doing the Vuelta and the TOB - He has carte blanche to choose his own program for the remainder of the year.

1 Like

And Ewan’s nearly season continues with a close second to Stuyven in stage 4 of the Binck Bank tour - A very technical last 1.3 km in which Stuyven slipped ahead with a km to go - And in a shock transfer Terpstra has moved to Direct Energie.

Terpstra’s move is weird. He could have named his own price at most WT teams.

And a American conti rider Gage Hecht wins stage of the Colorado Classic after attacking his breakaway companions with around 11km to go - he fairly much led by 15 to seconds from that point in the race - Howson, Power and Hamilton looked OK - Uphill ITT today.

Callum Scotson to ride with MS for two years - Rate him higher than his older brother - Will they still go after Affini who is a similar rider but at a higher level.

Just realised that DD have signed the first three from Amstel Gold being Valgren, Kreuziger and Gasparotto.

1 Like

Well, they had to do something. They’ve been useless at everything this year. Now they’ve got an instant classics squad.

And if EBH is in form they have options - It’s a pity the MS classics squad is a bit light on.

And Muehlberger of Bora wins stage 6 of the Bink Bank Tour after getting into a break in the last 5 kms, while Mohoric retains the leaders jersey - Durbridge couldn’t even make the final selection of forty riders which sums up a disappointing year on his behalf - And Howson rides a brave race in the break of Stage 3 of the Colorado Classic which is brought back in the last 3 kms - Howson is 5th on GC - While Trentin debuts his European jersey in today’s Euro Eyes Classic,

1 Like

Kind of surprised Ewan isn’t riding this (as a former winner). He’s been pretty disappointing in the Bink Bank.

Ewan is riding the right races to build up his endurance for 2019 - he’s actually been the best sprinter at the Bink Bank tour but little can be done when the break wins three of the four sprinting stages - In saying that, MS will need to be inventive today to win the Euro Eyes Classic.

Matthews stuns GVA and Stybar on the cobbles to win the final stage of the Binck Bank tour and finish 2nd in the GC to Mohoric.

2 Likes

Matthews was favorite for that stage based on the previous two days

Actually preferring Ewan to Matthews at the end of 2016 was a mistake by mgmt at MS. Matthews would fit better in a GC focused squad and for unknown reasons refused to put Matthews on cobbles.

2 Likes

MS team for the Vuelta.

A.Yates
S.Yates
Howson
Haig
Trentin
Edmondson
Mezgec
Albasini

This is a well balanced squad that should achieve success at the race. Selection also reveals sub plots behind the scenes. Ride London has not been forgotten.

1 Like

Ewan’s form this year didn’t justify a GT start IMO

I like MS’s team. Of course a lot depends on how much Simon Yates can carry his form for the 3 weeks. I’d like to think Haig is there as a plan B with Adam Yates in support and for stage wins.
The lumpy nature of the Vuelta should open plenty of opportunities for Trentin, Albasini and Edmondson,

My reference to Ride London refers to Mezgec’s relationship with Ewan - Mezgec was given the choice of race programmes after the TDF - He could follow Ewan or ride his own program - He chose to follow Ewan but this has OBVIOUSLY changed after the Ride London debacle - I am interested to see if Bewley renews his contract at MS - If not this means MS has a clear direction no GT’s if you leave the team - Disappointing about Bevin who have been a good addition to the team - There is a chance Hayman will continue in 2019 if MS cant find suitable replacements.

1 Like

BMC Team at the Vuelta

BOOKWALTER Brent USA
DE MARCHI Alessandro ITA
DENNIS Rohan AUS
PORTE Richie AUS
ROCHE Nicolas IRL
ROSSKOPF Joseph USA
TEUNS Dylan BEL
VENTOSO ALBERDI Francisco Jose ESP

1 Like