The Reigning Dj King! is @frankston_bomber2005

So I made it 10-4 with Deckham’s post. Amiright?

I count it 10 yes with @Dodga bringing it home for you

Righto… Prince is love it or leave it. I accept that and will probably go down for it (depending on who types first…)

Personally, I always found him a frustrating artist who had no facility for self-editing. Great tracks were left in the vaults. Horrible, indulgent funk jams were released. On balance, there are far more of his tracks I don’t like than those that I actually do.

I found myself recoiling from from his bigger productions, but loving it when he got sparse - tracks like Kiss Sign O’ The Times and this one. It wasn’t one of his bigger sellers, but it’s funky as fark… (shit) video though…

2 Likes

His best song. Yes!

YES!

Nope

I’ll admit anything by Prince will pretty much get a yes from me…Yes

1 Like

It’s a cracking song. Yes.

Yeah yeah yeah.

1 Like

Yes. Nice choice.

For someone who had such great feel for music, he had appalling tastes when it came to the visual realisations of his recorded work. Who writes their own name on their trousers?

I just can’t believe all the things people say.

Reasonable assessment of the height challenged one, but this isn’t Kiss or Sign of the Times, so No. Think I’ll go and find a Sly Stone vid to play.

1 Like

I did think about it. Truly.

Leave. No.

Yes to Alphabet street. One of the first albums I played to death. My teenage bedroom was a shrine to this guy.

Not a fan, but I’d like to see where we’re going, so yes.

No for mine. Never really been a fan of Prince.

I don’t like Prince but I reckon this is one of his better songs for the reasons you outlined. I’ll give it a yes.

He had that thing where (more than anything) he hated going over old ground. So rather than risk doing two songs with a similar sound/feel, he’d have to break new ground, even if it was a style he was crap at. You may find he wrote a fair bit of good, “Princey” stuff for other artists, often under pseudonyms…

Song doesn’t do much for me although it does sound like the 2nd line is “I’m gunna growl…the first girl that I meet”. If that could be confirmed I would almost go yes, but for now it’s a no. Soz.

2 Likes