THE ROAD TO THE FLAG 2019

Quite a reasonable prediction. Port just ahead of us now with that unpredictable win over Geelong last week.

Will continue to quote my old post from when everyone was doom and gloom on here. We’ve since beaten 2/3 teams we expected to lose to. We’re seriously not THAT bad.

Looking ahead we obviously need to beat all the lower teams - Swans, North, Suns, Dogs. Dropping any of those will force us to conjure up something special in Adelaide or in round 23 vs Pies.

If we win those easier games we then have Crows in Adelaide and the Collingwood which I expect will be losses.

So IMO, it will all come down to HUGE 8 point games against Port @ marvel, and Freo in WA.

We’re good enough.

6 Likes

We should win 5 of our next 6. If tail is up against the Crows that also becomes highly achievable for a win.

Unfortunately with our inconsistency nothing that ever ‘should’ happen tends to occur.

Injuries creeping in as well will have an impact so need to continue finding a way.

1 Like

Their respective form lines are making the Freo away and Port at home games seem more difficult too.

I honestly think Port at Marvel will be our second easiest game for the rest of the year, only behind Gold Coast. We seriously have the wood over those ■■■■■■■ and can’t seem them beating us at Marvel at all. We’ve become pretty hard to beat there against interstate teams as well.

A lot will come down to how well we can handle the Bellchambers absence.

Big omission that will force some big reshuffling, may turn out as a positive if we decide to play Hooker more forward now.

We will play finals. Believe

Adelaide is the one.
Big bodied,but not quick through the middle.
Concern is the inability to compete with their ruckman who could give them 1st use.
Win the clearances,and I dont think they will catch us.

1 Like

Lots of uncertainties above us:

Port - seriously inconsistent side with a tough draw ahead.
Fremantle - injuries starting to mount and have had their fare share of close wins
Lions - young teams rarely go the distance. They’ll drop some random games yet.

5 Likes

Completely agree that losing Bellchambers could derail our run home but could also make us more dynamic. The risk is a dominant ruck would smash us and if you look at our next month or so there is a couple of games that we could really get exposed.

Sydney - Sinclair not an issue
North - Goldie does generally play well against us but surely we still win this
Adelaide - O’Brien big chance away from home this guy smashes us (could see Smack giving away 5+ ■■■■ ruck free kicks)
Suns - Witts not an issue
Power - Lycett/Ryder is a big chance they get hold of us
Dogs - English not an issue
Dockers - Darcy again away from home big chance that we get smashed
Pies - Grundy will smash us if Bellchambers is not back by then (and might smash us anyway)

So from all these games the Power game worries me most and I hope Belly is back by the Dockers game.

Hartley comes in and plays down back. Hooker and Smack rotate Ruck/Forward. Francis and Hooker can swap if we are getting beaten down back or want something different forward.

Stringer back in for Begley hopefully soon and we are a hard team to match up against.

I have also really liked the look of Snelling in the VFL and think it would be great to get a look at him and see if he can replicate that pressure in the seniors.

If we win everything we should that might be enough, if we nick another game off Crows, Dockers or Pies we might even get a home final.

2 Likes

I can barely tip Essendon correctly, let alone sides I don’t follow. Have no idea how people speak with such certainty in this thread. Look at tonight’s results!

2 Likes

Delusions of grandeur.

A few upsets tonight has created a real traffic jam for the last spot in the 8. We are right up on the muck now, no easy games, everybody with everything to play for.

If we make it we will have earned it.

Reckon 12 wins definitely gets you there now though.

2 Likes

Still reckon a team on 12 wins and poor percentage finishes 9th

Nick Hind to kick the winning goal versus Ninthmond.

Make it so.

7 Likes

I second this motion.

Agree.
Reckon a percentage 106 or over is the sweet spot.

Hopefully Port & Freo both get smashed next week in their showdowns/Derbies

3 Likes

Very happy that Dogs upset Port last night. Need a few results like that to go our way.

Saints beating Richmond would be awesome.

3 Likes

If we do make finals there’s a very high chance we’re going interstate unless we miraculously make 6th & 7th position with Richmond.

If I could choose who to play in an away final I think I’d rather a young Brisbane team at the Gabba, as opposed to games against Crows & Port in Adelaide or Freo in WA.

So I’m hoping for Brisbane to finish 5th, and us to finish 8th.

2 Likes