THE ROAD TO THE FLAG 2019

Goodness me, an article with some depth for a change.

OPINION

The four weeks of football that redeemed John Worsfold

Jake Niall

Jake Niall

Chief football writer, The Age

July 20, 2019 — 5.50pm

The resurrection of Essendon, and consolidation of John Worsfold’s once-parlous tenure, began in the final-quarter surge against Greater Western Sydney in round 15.

The momentum of that last-gasp victory carried into the Sydney game – another tight one – and continued into the North Melbourne thriller, when Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti’s arrow-straight snap from the boundary snatched back four points that Rhyce’s Roos appeared to have purloined.

But if these wins were critical – none more so than the Giant-slaying – Friday night’s stoning of the Crows must be close to John Worsfold’s finest hour as coach of the Bombers.

See the Bombers fly up: Celebrating the round 18 win against Adelaide.

See the Bombers fly up: Celebrating the round 18 win against Adelaide.CREDIT:AAP

And it was almost precisely one hour of grit that has the Bombers well-placed to secure a finals berth, in defiance of an injury toll that appeared close to a tipping point when Michael Hurley, the club’s premier tall defender, had shoulder surgery last week.

Adelaide’s lead peaked at 30 points late in the second term. At half-time, it was 25 points – which was actually 3.7 and might have been seven goals. The Crows had owned the stoppages and territory, as Reilly O’Brien took full toll of Essendon’s lack of a genuine ruck.

It was difficult to see how Essendon would overcome, not only the deficit on the scoreboard and poor field position, but the absence of Hurley, Orazio Fantasia and Tom Bellchambers, which compounded the season-long losses of Joe Daniher and Devon Smith.

Conversely, when we look at the names missing, sometimes it’s easy to forget who’s still on the park. The Bombers had most of their midfield intact, and retained their greatest asset and point of difference with most teams, which is their game-busting speed and audacious outside game.

Quiet resolve: Worsfold's position, imperiled before the round-15 GWS ■■■■■■, must be secure for next year now.

Quiet resolve: Worsfold’s position, imperiled before the round-15 GWS ■■■■■■, must be secure for next year now. CREDIT:AAP

Dylan Shiel, Zach Merrett and Andy McGrath can create space from the middle with their acceleration, while Adam Saad and Conor McKenna can be ballisticfrom behind the ball.

The Crows, for whatever reason, didn’t seem to pay Merrett much attention. Wearing Merrett closely is Essendon 101 for the opposition, but Don Pyke flunked the exam. In the delicate balance between playing "our game’’ and respecting the opposition, the Crows didn’t do enough of the latter.

Several weeks ago, when exploring Worsfold’s precarious situation, this column put forth the proposition that the Essendon coach, while contracted for 2020, simply had to earn his contract in the remaining games by showing that the Dons could transcend their personnel issues.

RELATED ARTICLE

Essendon's chairman has more than once cited Nathan Buckley and Damian Hardwick when defending Worsfold.

AFL 2019

Worsfold, a war-time coach, faces a battle to hang on

This is what the best teams and clubs do. Injuries don’t derail them, as in the case of the dismal Demons, who missed the jump in pre-season and haven’t caught up. Richmond, West Coast and Collingwood have hung tough and maintained a level of performance without key players.

Over the past month, Worsfold has met that key performance indicator of making a team exceed the sum of its parts. His position, imperilled before the GWS ■■■■■■, must be secure for next year now.

Essendon, in fact, have performed significantly better with a weaker team on paper. Insiders believe that the infusion of younger players – Dylan Clarke, Mason Redman, Aaron Francis, Matt Guelfi, Will Snelling and Marty Gleeson – has been instrumental in the recent renaissance. Darcy Parish has been revitalised from his spell in the twos.

Simultaneously, the defensive system that assistant coach Ben Rutten has imported from Tigerland has steadily taken hold. This was never going to happen immediately.

RELATED ARTICLE

On a roll: Bomber Zach Merrett.

ESSENDON

‘I knew where it was going’: Coach says he never doubted Bombers

Interestingly, Essendon’s upswing coincides with Worsfold’s decision to coach from ground level several weeks ago. It is unclear whether this is coincidence, or a cause of the revival.

Worsfold is a coach who puts on the onus on his players, asking them to take responsibility and ownership of their destiny, rather than barking demands – so results tend to be slow burning. He also empowers and delegates to his assistants, two of whom – Rob Harding and Paul Corrigan – were recently told to look elsewhere for 2020, in what was an early cull.

To transcend personnel issues, such as the lack of ruckmen and key forwards, requires role players to complete the task demanded of them.

If they handed out Oscars for roles performed on Friday night, Mitch Brown would take home best supporting actor by a former VFL player.

He booted 4.0, including one from close to 50 metres out near the beer stalls that created palpable momentum for the storming Dons. Brown, much like Collingwood’s Brody Mihocek, is a late-booming ex-VFL key position player (Sandringham, via Geelong) who maximises the modest gifts he owns.

Brown is not a pack-marking colossus, nor a Lance Franklin-like power athlete with rapid acceleration and nimble feet. What he can do, however, is cover vast territory – he runs as far as midfielders on GPS numbers – present a mobile target and kick accurately.

From whence did Essendon’s belief and momentum come? Invariably, teams garner belief from within the players themselves, organically.

If Worsfold has been questioned on whether he could develop an effective game style - Matthew Lloyd is among his credible critics - his belief in delegation and handing over to players means he’s reliant on self-reliant players and technically-adept assistants. Over time, the players teach themselves.

Supporting role: Mitch Brown was key to creating momentum.

Supporting role: Mitch Brown was key to creating momentum. CREDIT:AAP

In 2019, the Bombers arguably have their second season of genuinely "clean air’’ after the drugs saga. One legacy of the saga has been that the club’s leaders – particularly the chairman, Lindsay Tanner, chief executive Xavier Campell, Worsfold and potentially Dyson Heppell – have the perspective of knowing that another early-season slump pales beside the trauma of 2013-16.

The early season failures brought pressure on the coach, without panic. Composure was followed by resolve.

For the first time in a long time, losing players didn’t stop the Dons from winning games.

Jake Niall

Jake Niall

Jake Niall is a Walkley award-winning sports journalist and chief AFL writer for The Age.

5 Likes

The Adelaide win was great but it was a few moments including a couple of very lucky frre/non frees and misses by them that let us back in. Could just as easily have lost by a couple, although we were certainly the better team in the last. Collingwood recently beat WC, they are certainly not rubbish but look fragile. Geelong, Richmond and probably WC in a league above at the moment. Injuries and big efforts will tax us, I love our attitude but there’s a fair bit of getting ahead of ourselves going on here. Beware the jinx.

4 Likes

A Sunday poser for the ladder hypotheticals.

What combination sees the following ideal scenario play out?

Bombers defeat Collingwood by 1 point in the last home & away round to set up a return clash (6 vs 7) first week of Finals
Spend two weeks listening to Collingwood nuff nuffs & and their pet media talk about how they’ll easily beat us “ when it matters “
Bombers thrash Collingwood by 8 to 10 goals in Elimination Final.

Job done.
Flag is ours for the taking.

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know.

We had a real problem trying to sort out who was going to play where between McKernan, Hooker and Hartley. We had big issues in the ruck and clearances. We started out fragile, but settled it down well. This should be something that improves.

They got away from us over a 10 minute period when Walker kicked one out of his ■■■■ from the boundary, Jenkins got the most ridiculous 50m penalty, and they manage to slot two from the boundary outside 50m.

Then in the 2nd half they scored 3 goals, and that was after getting the 1st goal of the 3rd qtr. in other words, we comprehensively shut them down and rolled right over the top of them.

Also keep in mind that 5 of their behinds were rushed. Almost all of their players got good possession numbers. We just shut them out.

I’d happily play them every week.

3 Likes

VFL right?

1 Like

Agree with this but Radelaide are a flakey outfit, have been since they ‘stared down’ their cowering opponents in the GF pre game. They’re largely vanilla, we have the style that can crack them open most times. To be honest I reckon we’re in a race with ourselves, to get that right mix of stinginess, tempo control, and blitz right before finals. Injuries have tied one leg up in this race. I’m hopeful, but not very.

1 Like

If the Tigers beat the Pies by 5 or 6 goals next week and we beat the Suns by 70-80 we will go above the pies on the ladder.

Get it done Dodo.

1 Like

Round 23- Essendon vs Collingwood.

We beat Collingwood and take their spot in the top 4.

It’s going to happen! :laughing:

7 Likes

Pies will be out of the top 4 next week.

Finish 4th would be best scenario for us. Get a free hit at geelong at the G. If we lose we get a home final following week. If we win we get home final to go into the big dance.

Just need to keep winning.

7 Likes

Things have been going really well for us but I still think we will probably only win 3 of the remaining 5 and finish 7th.

I’ll reassess if we beat suns and dogs, if so I’ll probably back us to win 2 of the final 3 and get 14 wins and maybe 5th.

If injuries can stay away then maybe we can get even better but I’m always cautious of things going wrong.

1 Like

First time in 6 years that we have won more than 3 games in a row.

In 2013 we had two streaks of 6 wins in a row.

Things definitely look like they are coming together at the right time of the year.

Love the LidOffedness around this place having us win all remaining games. 9 games in a row would be pretty special. 2000 special.

2 Likes

actually it will be 12 wins in a row when we win the premiership

9 Likes

YT somehow slipped into the “I called finals” poster.

But I think we need to applaud the bloke that created this thread. @bltn started this thread way back on May 26 after the Richmond loss at 4-6. I for one laughed my ■■■ off at the concept at playing finals.

I now tip my hat to you good sir.

6 Likes

The thing that sets us aside from Every other club in the 8 except Geelong and maybe Richmond… is that we are in raging form and everyone else is very inconsistent.

That makes us a danger team. I honestly think we could get to a Prelim.

1 Like

I called 10:1 odds for us playing finals at the bye.

Didn’t see this consistency on the horizon back then.

Very welcome

1 Like

Get to Brisbane in a prelim.
That’d be nice.

As much as I was filthy on North for making our path harder, I couldn’t stay mad at them for losing, especially the way they did.

Screw you, North, you irrelevant flogs.

10 Likes

Fark - Jake Nial is a lazy journalist. 25 points down at half-time and Gleeson being a young player in the cohort of Snelling, Redman, Francis and Guelfi…?

And Brown kicked 2 goals near 50 on the boundary.

Goal now is to win as many of the remaining 5 games as possible and qualify as high as we can. Duh!

But a home final in 6th would be fantastic… but I reckon we are going to stay in 7th or 8th and probably travel in Week One.

A finals win would be great and destroy a massive monkey (now gorilla) on the club’s back.

I think the focus is more about 2020 and beyond. There are some really difficult list decisions to make at the end of this season but with the likes of (hopefully) a fit Daniher, Devon Smith amongst others to factor into 2020… and if this club can finally get the first two months of the season RIGHT in terms of win/loss ratio… there are no guarantees in football, but by this time next year we should be in it up to our eyeballs.

I think most realistic people coming into 2019 had us in the 5th-8th bracket where we are likely going to finish. Next year will be another step but a finals win is so crucial.

7 Likes