THE ROAD TO THE FLAG 2021

An ongoing thread for the discussion of Top 4, positions 5-8, and the battle for home Finals within those 2 groups.
Whilst Essendon is only a slim chance and staring down another loss Fri night, a seperate thread for the discussion of other contenders outside of the weekly Non ESS games thread, and the individual team threads is useful.

I plan to summarise the movers and shakers at the completion of each round, and urge others to do the same as they see it unfolding.

We now clearly have the Ladder split in 2 distinct groups within the Top 12…

5 sides battling for the Top 4 (double chance).

MELBOURNE

GWS (MCG)
PA (AO)
Haw (MCG)
GCS (Metricon)
WB (MCG)
WCE (OS)
Crows (MCG)
Gee (GMHBA)

WESTERN BULLDOGS

NM (Marvel)
Syd (Marvel)
GCS (Metricon)
Crows (Mars Stadium)
Melb (MCG)
Ess (Marvel)
Haw (UTas)
PA (Marvel)

BRISBANE LIONS

Crows (AO)
St.K (Gabba)
Rich (MCG)
Haw (MCG)
GCS (Gabba)
Freo (OS)
Coll (Gabba)
WCE (Gabba)

PORT ADELAIDE

Haw (Marvel)
Melb (AO)
St.K (Marvel)
Coll (AO)
GWS (Manuka)
Crows (AO)
Car (AO)
WB (Marvel)

GEELONG

Ess (GMHBA)
Car (MCG)
Freo (OS)
Rich (MCG)
NM (Blundstone)
GWS (GMHBA)
St.K (GMHBA)
Melb (GMHBA)

Looking further down, 6/7/8th is hotly contested with a current chasing pack of 4 teams.
4 teams that look incapable of winning the required games to forge their way in, yet they are right there whilst all of Sydney, WC & Richmond look vulnerable.
Quite extraordinary that St.Kilda. are only 1 win behind Richmond in 8th spot !

SYDNEY

WCE (GMHBA)
WB (Marvel)
GWS (GS)
Freo (SCG)
Ess (Marvel)
St.K (Marvel)
NM (Marvel)
GCS (SCG)

WEST COAST EAGLES

Syd (GMHBA)
NM (OS)
Crows (AO)
St.K (OS)
Coll (MCG)
Melb (OS)
Freo (OS)
Bris (Gabba)

RICHMOND

GCS (Metricon)
Coll (MCG)
Bris (MCG)
Gee (MCG)
Freo (OS)
NM (MCG)
GWS (GS)
Haw (MCG)

FREMANTLE

Car (OS) ???
Haw (UTas)
Gee (OS)
Syd (SCG)
Rich (OS)
Bris (OS)
WCE (OS)
St.K (Marvel)

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

Melb (MCG)
GCS (GS)
Syd (GS)
Ess (Marvel)
PA (Manuka)
Gee (GMHBA)
Rich (GS)
Car (Marvel)

ESSENDON

Gee (GMHBA)
Crows (Marvel)
NM (Marvel)
GWS (Marvel)
Syd (Marvel)
WB (Marvel)
GCS (Metricon)
Coll (MCG)

ST.KILDA

Coll (MCG)
Bris (Gabba)
PA (Marvel)
WCE (OS)
Car (Marvel)
Syd (Marvel)
Gee (GMHBA)
Freo (Marvel)

We need to get 1 win from Melbourne or Geelong, stay at chance.

A loss on Friday night, and I think the gap will be just too big.

Just look at the other teams outside the 8…. gees they are all sh*t.

3 Likes

I still can’t see any of the teams outside the 8 getting in.

1 Like

Agree.
We needed to split Melb/Gee as a minimum.
We fluffed Opportunity no.1 last Sat, now we have a more difficult task.

Winning 4 in a row after that is certainly possible, but is it probable for our side at this stage of development ???

Don’t do it to yourselves.

8 Likes

Yeah I agree. When Richmond likely beat GC and we likely lose to Geelong, it will be a two game plus percentage gap between us and 8th.

Will be too hard for us to claw back unless we win most of our following games, and West Coast don’t play in Perth again this season (which is a slight possibility I guess).

On that thought, if finals were a high goal, given the unfolding covid situation, Vic teams will benefit for once given the games will have to move to Victoria. This may put added pressure on Sydney and West Coast, which means they may slip

It’s okay, then we can follow the other sides in this thread as we all love the AFL.

Will enjoy our run home with all those games in Melbourne bar the trip to the Gold Coast.

Richmond may slip up and we could get a roll on. It’s a possibility even if this weekends games go to ladder position.

You’d think you’d need 12 wins to make the 8. And a decent %.

We have the better % of those outside the 8

• Crows
  • North
  • Swans
  • GWS
  • Suns
  • Pies

Gets us in even with losses to Geelong and Doggies. Not if our percentage is damaged though. And I don’t know if we would win all the above mentioned games even though we’d start off as favourites for most of them.

I’d think only Richmond could drop out and even then they will have to lose some you wouldn’t think they would drop.

Above them I look at that draw and think maybe Brissy and Geelong but both games are at the G.

I think we will lose against Geelong and Footscray and therefore won’t get the points to overcome them.

Maybe sydney could ■■■■ the bed. Not sure though, think they will find an arsey win or too. They always do.

The loser of Syd v WC this week becomes the vulnerable team.
A Sydney loss probably better for us, as we play them, thus have an opportunity to deny them another win later.

Both those sides have quite difficult draws.

We can’t completely rule out Richmond missing the Finals, though I think they’ll get to 12.

1 Like

Missing out on finals isn’t a terrible thing.

As it means the players will be eager to work much harder over preseason, to make it.

1452093555-dascham

1 Like

I really want to see the next scene in that gif

1 Like

Dogs are going to absolutely romp it to minor premiers with that draw. I’m frankly terrified of what they’ll do to us.

1 Like

The key roads I will be using to get to the final this weekend will be Chandler Highway, Monash Freeway, and South Gippsland Highway.

7 Likes

Hubs in Melbourne now, after we played all our games interstate, ■■■■■■■ umpire dogs!!!

1 Like

Better than Hubs being outside of Melbourne.

We will finish 9th

You’re a different cat @theDJR … and I like it.

1 Like